Wishlist for the next Redfly

stanip

Apr 6, 2007
Visit site
I tried Shift but found the battery quite disappointing. I then tried the X7510 but the keyboard is good but not good enough for note taking at work.

Have been using Redfly for a few days with my touchpro. Things I like about Redfly:
1) Almost instant-on (extremely pleased with the responsiveness)
2) Excellent battery life (more than enough for an office day)
3) The $199 price (probably the best price performance option at this point).
4) Least maintenance (when I refresh my touchpro to a newer rom, the performance on redfly also improves. On top of it, I no longer to keep syncing files in 2 separate devices.)
5) Performance with a touchpro is very good on USB/BT pairing. (no complaint)

Things on my wish list for the future Redfly.
1) Size and weight could be slimmer and lighter.
2) Other users have mentioned about touchpro driver and video improvement.
3) May be more flexibilities to allow users to map buttons to programs.
4) So simple that it could become boring to use after a while... this should be a positive point??

Overall, I am quite happy with my new Redfly.

Ebag333

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
Things on my wish list for the future Redfly.
1) Size and weight could be slimmer and lighter.

It already weighs nearly nothing and is incredibly thin. Geez, now you're just being greedy! :eek:

2) Other users have mentioned about touchpro driver and video improvement.

Celio is already working on improving/implementing this. It's probably going to be a software (driver/firmware) solution rather than a whole new device. At least that's my hope! *crosses fingers*

3) May be more flexibilities to allow users to map buttons to programs.

x2

I really don't care for where a few of the buttons are located.

Bujin#IM

Sep 16, 2003
Visit site
My only wish is for video...I don't even care if it's full-screen; I just would rather not switch to the phone screen just to watch a video clip. (A related wish is for Skyfire to work, again due to the potential for video on the Redfly.)

MAgentieri

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Y'know - a lot of these improvements could be made on both ends. If microsoft made a better OS, then we'd have a more functional redfly. Not that winmo is "that bad" but it could be a lot better. The fact that celio had to write a display driver to "spoof" the OS is pretty indicative of this. Any laptop/desktop in the world can change default resolution on the fly, why not windows mobile? While some can't wait for zune implementation in wm7, I really just want USB on the go everywhere. How about a mesh PAN? How about putting "live" networking for winmo games. Come to think of it - how about some non-crappy games in general?
Also, don't let phone manufacturers off the hook either. HTC does great work, but they're taking the fall for carrier's BS. I'm quite sure the reason my tilt won't get an official driver update is because the telcos are pressuring HTC to forego development on these. I mean why fix it when you can buy a new one, right? I'd love to see phones with FM radios, 1GB of RAM, laser distancers, video in as well as out, etc.
As far as the redfly goes - I think this is a REALLY solid product. Works exactly as promised. Yeah, I'll have to agree - video and tablet would be my 2 major requests.

car_designer

Jan 5, 2004
Visit site
the two coolest things would be:

1) video and dynamic content support
2) touchscreen so I could use the redfly in the car with gps. can you imagine tom tom on that screen if it were a touchscreen? TomTom 7 goes fullscreen on a redfly....

Ebag333

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
the two coolest things would be:

1) video and dynamic content support
2) touchscreen so I could use the redfly in the car with gps. can you imagine tom tom on that screen if it were a touchscreen? TomTom 7 goes fullscreen on a redfly....

A while back Celio advertised on their side a device that basically was a Redfly, but no keyboard, touchpad, or monitor. Think a Redfly with just the inputs and outputs.

That'd be PERFECT to hook up to an LCD in your car. :D

(Can I beta test that? ;) )

anon159272

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
Another great feature would be to locate the Left and Right softbutton keys somewhere that you can press them with your mousing/touchpad hand, rather than having to reach back and hit them amongst the function keys. Just a timesaver, since those are so useful. Of course, then the same goes for the "OK" key, so this could get out of hand, pardon the pun.

Definitely would kill for even low-resolution video support (say, re-drawing at 320x240 or something).

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
Another great feature would be to locate the Left and Right softbutton keys somewhere that you can press them with your mousing/touchpad hand, rather than having to reach back and hit them amongst the function keys. Just a timesaver, since those are so useful. Of course, then the same goes for the "OK" key, so this could get out of hand, pardon the pun.

Definitely would kill for even low-resolution video support (say, re-drawing at 320x240 or something).

that is one of the few things I don't like. I do wish the left/right/ok were closer to the mouse pad.

cglaguna#WP

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
I like my Red Fly a lot.
The price was great.
The pairing speed is fantastic.

My requests:
  • Lighter and thinner is not greedy, I think this is too heavy.
    I wish the A/C adapter could be much smaller and lighter.
    Video would be cool.
    I often want to touch the screen of my Red Fly (That sounds weird)
    Ok, this would be my number one request: That it could have a basic interface to type .docs in without pairing. So I could just take notes for a meeting or something and hold them until I could pair. I know this opens a can a worms, but it would be killer.

Thanks for a great product!

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
I wouldn't mind seeing a smaller A/C adapter, but at the same time, I haven't carried mine since I bought the Redfly. The battery lasts for so long that I only charge it at night. I went on a three day trip last week and actually forgot the adapter. It was not a problem. I was at a conference and I know the 'actual' time the Redfly was on must have been past the advertised 8 hours. I had enough juice left to write my report on the 2 hour plane flight home.

During the conference I would turn it on when taking notes or replying to emails. I kept my phone in my pocket and when it would vibrate for an incoming email, I would turn on the Redfly and pair it via BT. It's great that it takes less than 15 seconds from on to connected. At night, I would do a little surfing and replying to personal emails.

I wouldn't complain if it were a little lighter. But, at the same time, I think that is why there such great battery life. I think most of the weight is in the battery.

flyemhighrockets

Oct 16, 2008
www.flyemhighrockets.com
I love my redfly to death what I would like to see added is the video suport and speakers either on the redfly or add external speakers even though that will take away from the portabality. But I would love to watch videos without having to use the phone speakers

Ebag333

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
I think that is why there such great battery life. I think most of the weight is in the battery.

There is a lot of truth to that. Going to thinner/lighter will likely mean less battery life, or a more expensive device. Neither option is exactly ideal.

RC46

Oct 14, 2003
Visit site
I was thinking of a solution for the video or lack of issue. Then it came to me a combo DVD player / redfly smart-phone terminal.

How about if there was a DVD drive and a decoder hardware / software built into the redfly. Then when you start it up you could choice to connect to a phone or play a DVD. That would make it the perfect device. A small compact DVD player and a smart-phone keyboard / screen.:)

Ebag333

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
I was thinking of a solution for the video or lack of issue. Then it came to me a combo DVD player / redfly smart-phone terminal.

How about if there was a DVD drive and a decoder hardware / software built into the redfly. Then when you start it up you could choice to connect to a phone or play a DVD. That would make it the perfect device. A small compact DVD player and a smart-phone keyboard / screen.:)

Not a bad idea. Probably add a couple hundred to the price, but for those who wanted both it'd be worth it.

wodin

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I don't know how many times I've poked the screen with my finger expecting something to happen, then swearing at myself for forgetting that I needed to use the touch pad.

It’s gotten to the point that I’ve been Googling for an 8” USB touchscreen overlay to do a hardware hack ala Asus EEEPC. I haven’t had the screen bezel off yet to see how much room is in there for a USB hub and touchscreen controller though. Also Haven’t found an 8” touchscreen overlay.

I Love my REDFLY, but since WinMo is basically a touchscreen oriented OS, it absolutely screams for a touchscreen.

wodin

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I actually like using a mouse better.

I don't much care for the touchpad, but then again I never have.

I agree, the mouse makes it feel better, but then having to plug in the mouse every time I want to do a quick email or check a website turns into a hassle.

The beauty of the REDFLY is the complete lack of hassle, if I keep BT on my phone turned on, all I have to do is open the clamshell, push the on button, push the BT key, and WALLAH!, I?m on line!

Bujin#IM

Sep 16, 2003
Visit site
When I first got my Redfly, I threw my extra BT mouse into my briefcase, but haven't used it once. The touchpad works fine for me, and I prefer the ease of use mentioned above.

That being said, a touchscreen would rock! I also have poked the screen more than once. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel