Opera Mini or Mobile?

Bujin#IM

Sep 16, 2003
Visit site
I'm curious as to folks experience with Opera Mini vs. Mobile on the Redfly. I really like Opera Mini, but it tends to hang once in awhile, and text entry is a bit of a pain. I once used Opera Mobile for a short period, but it didn't seem nearly as fast as Mobile.

Any thoughts?

SpriteGF

Jul 8, 2006
Visit site
I definitely prefer Opera Mini. It's much faster and snappier on my 800w thanks to its server-side rendering. I also didn't want to shell out extra cash for Opera Mobile 8.65 (and 9.5 definitely does not work at all with the Redfly).

Are you using Esmertec Jbed as your Java environment? A lot of people seem to think this is the most robust Java environment on Windows Mobile, vs IBM, Jblend, etc.

Bujin#IM

Sep 16, 2003
Visit site
I definitely prefer Opera Mini. It's much faster and snappier on my 800w thanks to its server-side rendering. I also didn't want to shell out extra cash for Opera Mobile 8.65 (and 9.5 definitely does not work at all with the Redfly).

Are you using Esmertec Jbed as your Java environment? A lot of people seem to think this is the most robust Java environment on Windows Mobile, vs IBM, Jblend, etc.

Thanks for the response! I am indeed using Esmertec for my Java.

EdFrmBrighthand

Aug 8, 2007
www.brighthand.com
I need a more full-featured browser than Mini, so I prefer Opera Mobile 8.6.

Still, I'd say give Mini a try. It's free and all. If you aren't happy and want to go to the other version, there's a free trial.
-

Bujin#IM

Sep 16, 2003
Visit site
I need a more full-featured browser than Mini, so I prefer Opera Mobile 8.6.

Still, I'd say give Mini a try. It's free and all. If you aren't happy and want to go to the other version, there's a free trial.
-

I only used Opera Mobile for a day or so, so I'm curious as to what features it has that Mini doesn't. Thanks!

EdFrmBrighthand

Aug 8, 2007
www.brighthand.com
And I in turn, only used Opera Mini for a short time a year or so go, went "This is too limited" and moved one. All these months later, I don't remember exactly what I didn't like about it.
-

cuzlion

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
If you are just surfing and reading websites, no downloads or videos, then mini probably offers the best experience on the Redfly. It is so fast since the server is doing the work and pretty much renders everything to fit on the Redfly screen with no side scrolling. I use PIE and Opera Mini when connected to my Redfly and Opera 9.5 and Skyfire when not connected. Each has advantages over the others. Skyfire plays TV and movies via Hulu on the phone for free, that's cool but won't work with the Redfly. For downloading and uploading things to the web with the Redfly connected PIE beats Opera Mini. Cuz

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa