800w requires two button presses to turn on

anon159272

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
My 800w requires two button presses to turn on from standby. I am trying to determine if this is caused by the Redfly driver. One other user (bujin) had posted a thread in the 800w forum with this problem, and we both determined that it started after we installed the Redfly driver. I know that's not enough information to make a determination, particularly because Grant posted in that thread that he's seen this issue since the 700wx and did not (at least as of that writing) have a Redfly.

That thread was here:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=172423

So I'd like to try to narrow this down a little. This morning I uninstalled the Redfly software and soft reset after the removal. I let my phone go into suspend mode, waited a minute, and pressed the power button and the phone immediately came on. Tried it a couple of times, and every time, the phone turns on immediately with one button press.

So then I re-downloaded the Redfly driver OTA from Celio's web site. Installed it and the phone soft reset as part of the installation process. Again I let the phone fully boot and then suspend itself. I waited a minute, and pressed the power button. Nothing. Pressed it again, and the phone turned on.

This is clear to me that installing the Redfly software causes my 800w to require two button presses to turn on.

Bujin also noted this problem in this thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/showpost.php?p=1508079&postcount=2

But in that same thread, Ebag333 reports zero problems. So now I'm not sure if it's some other setting or program I have installed that might be conflicting with Redfly that may be causing this? It makes no difference if I enable or disable keyguard.

Can anyone else give a yes or no as to whether they have to press the red power button twice to wake up their 800w after the RedFly software has been installed?

Thanks!

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
I do have to press any button twice to turn on my 800 after installing the Redfly driver. I tested the behavior by uninstalling the Redfly and my 800 went back to normal

I turned off the keyguard since it requires two key presses to turn the 800 on. This allows me to keep the 800 in my pocket and connect via BT without having to press the center key.

Bujin#IM

Sep 16, 2003
Visit site
I do have to press any button twice to turn on my 800 after installing the Redfly driver. I tested the behavior by uninstalling the Redfly and my 800 went back to normal

I turned off the keyguard since it requires two key presses to turn the 800 on. This allows me to keep the 800 in my pocket and connect via BT without having to press the center key.

I thought about doing that, but I was worried that I'd accidently active something (I thought maybe the screen came on with button press 2, but perhaps a call or program may still be initiated with button press 1). Has this change worked for you?

anon159272

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
Ok good, so that's 3 confirmed so far, though I already knew about Bujin from our prior posts. :)

Johnh59, your post is a little confusing, but I think you meant that with keyguard on it normally requires two presses - the power button and then the center button, but then with Redfly, it actually requires three - the power button twice to come out of suspend, then the center button to turn off keyguard. At least that's how mine works.

I agree that having to unlock the keyguard to use the Redfly is kind of a pain, but I'd like to keep this thread limited to the issue of just bringing the 800w out of suspend, to determine if this is something we can/should pass along to Celio as a bug.

Bujin#IM

Sep 16, 2003
Visit site
Johnh59, your post is a little confusing, but I think you meant that with keyguard on it normally requires two presses - the power button and then the center button, but then with Redfly, it actually requires three - the power button twice to come out of suspend, then the center button to turn off keyguard. At least that's how mine works.

I read his post to mean that, because the Treo requires two presses to activate (with no keyguard), it's safe to keep in a pocket with keyguard turned off.

That actually makes sense: if the "two button press" makes keyguard unnecessary, and has the added advantage of allowing activation of Redfly without touching the phone at all, then it's not a bug but a feature! ;)

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
I read his post to mean that, because the Treo requires two presses to activate (with no keyguard), it's safe to keep in a pocket with keyguard turned off.

That actually makes sense: if the "two button press" makes keyguard unnecessary, and has the added advantage of allowing activation of Redfly without touching the phone at all, then it's not a bug but a feature! ;)

That' how I take it. It may be a 'bug', but it has actually helped me.

anon159272

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
I don't view it that way. In my pockets, buttons get pressed all the time. The advantage of keyguard is that the second button press has to be the CENTER button, which is somewhat protected from inadvertent pressing, unlike the keyboard keys, for example, I would personally never trust the 800w in a pocket without keyguard.

Again, this is a separate issue from the fact that the Redfly driver seems to cause the 800w to require two power button presses to turn on.

laurieny

Oct 28, 2008
Visit site
Yes, word completion is something that can impact performance, and we have suggested turning it off on your phone in the past. But, the issue with word completion that the original poster mentioned was unfortunately not confined just to Treos, though it has now been resolved in the next release.

- Laurie (Celio Director of Engineering/Ops)

laurieny

Oct 28, 2008
Visit site
LOL. I was reading several threads and meant to post a response to this one and the one about word completion and mixed the two - sorry!

The issue here is specific to the Treo, but it too has been fixed in the next release.

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
LOL. I was reading several threads and meant to post a response to this one and the one about word completion and mixed the two - sorry!

The issue here is specific to the Treo, but it too has been fixed in the next release.

When might expect the next release?

Thanks,

djqwik

Jul 10, 2002
Visit site
Yes

Just let us know if you experience this problem, so we can better track it.

Yes I have the problem but not all the time.. sometimes its one key press to turn on my 800W and sometimes two, I would, however love to be able to acknowledge the keyguard on the redfly and not have to press the center button on the phone when using the redfly...

Bujin#IM

Sep 16, 2003
Visit site
Yes I have the problem but not all the time.. sometimes its one key press to turn on my 800W and sometimes two, I would, however love to be able to acknowledge the keyguard on the redfly and not have to press the center button on the phone when using the redfly...

I tried to go without a keyguard, figuring that the double-press glitch would aw me to go without....but then accidently called a couple of people on my speed dial. :)

djqwik

Jul 10, 2002
Visit site
hmmm

I tried to go without a keyguard, figuring that the double-press glitch would aw me to go without....but then accidently called a couple of people on my speed dial. :)

what would be nice is that when you connect to the 800W VIA the redflly, there is a way to hit the center button on the redfly..... or maybe event auto-bypass and then when you are not using the redfly, it automatically turns back on..

je255j#WP

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
ah-HA! So this a RedFly issue? I also have to press the power button twice to wake my phone from sleep. I've learned I can also press Power, then Center, or Power, then Send to awaken the Treo 800w. Point is, it's still two keystrokes instead of one. Even though this problem is slight, it's still annoying enough to search Google for a solution, and now that I've found this thread, I know what the solution is: remove the RedFly driver. Thank you! Thank you!

I thought it was going to be a Palm and/or Treo issue, and feared it would unresolvable, but this is just too easy. Speaking of issues I previously believed were inherent to the 800w...

As to the word completion comment laurieny made above, is that in regards to how after changing "isnt" to "isn't", an additional space is added, so you have to go back and delete the space, which takes more time than just entering the apostrophe would have in the first place? I hate that so much that I disabled auto-correction, and now just try to type contractions correctly (something I've never had to do on a handheld before and am therefore just not in the habit of doing), but if removing the RedFly driver will come with the added benefit of not only fixing my power button but also allowing me to re-enable auto-correct, well that's just all the better.

Honestly, I was planning returning the RedFly anyway. I don't use/enjoy it nearly enough to have justified its cost. Now that I'm uninstalling the driver, I guess it's time to call up Celio and figure out how their return process works. I've only had it (and the phone) for about a week. It can't be that hard.

je255j#WP

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
Okay, RedFly driver removed, and the power button problem seems to have been resolved, so that's good, but "isnt(space)" still auto-corrects to "isn't(two spaces)", so I suppose I'll have to look elsewhere for the solution that one. What's especially odd is that "can't", "won't", "doesn't" and "shouldn't" all work perfectly, and "she's" doesn't work at all. The issue is really just with "isn't". Hmmmmm. There must be a dictionary file somewhere I can edit.

Anyway, thanks for the help with the power button! That was all I really came for anyway. ;)

je255j#WP

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
There must be a dictionary file somewhere I can edit.

Yup. There is. This page explains exactly where to find it...

www<dot>expta<dot>com/2007/10/using-windows-mobile-autocorrect-to<dot>html

Once I had that file opened, I am able to add "shes" to "she's" and also remove the extra space from the end of "isn't". I also hit CTRL-A to highlight the entire list (I'm using notepad to edit), and learned, wow, there's a lot of words with extra spaces at the end! So I'm painstakingly removing all of those.

Please tell me the RedFly driver had nothing to do with ruining this file.

What is the auto-correct issue laurieny is referring to, if not this one?

EDIT: Well, drat. Now it seems I cannot delete, rename, or overwrite the autocorrect file on my device. :(

EDIT2: Alright, so now I've downloaded and installed "Total Commander CE"...

(available here: www<dot>ghisler<dot>com/pocketpc<dot>htm

...and even that won't let me delete the file, or change its attributes! This should not be nearly as difficult as it is. Sigh. :(

Oh. It's in ROM. I guess I'm screwed then. Additionally, based on that, it's quite clear the RedFly software did not and could not affect this file in any way.

I apologize for drifting as far off topic as I did.

EDIT3: mobile-sg<dot>com/software/?p=WordCorrector&platform=ppc

WordCorrector has solved the "isn't " problem! :)

I also used it to solve the previously unknown "you'll ", "they're ", and "aren't " problems, and add "she's" to the bunch! Woo-hoo! :)

ALTHOUGH... Now that I know the dictionary file can, in fact, be edited, it does once again prompt me to ask... Was RedFly's software in any way responsible for messing up this file, or does WM6.1 Pro actually ship with an improperly prepared dictionary???

This WordCorrector app is awesome. I am extremely curious who created the problem which prompted me to need it.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo