Opera9.5 and Skyfire can not work with Redfly!What a pity!

wodin

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
There has been some earlier discussion on this:
http://discussion.wmexperts.com/showthread.php?t=170220

http://discussion.wmexperts.com/showthread.php?t=170160

But basically is comes down to the fact that these are betas, not yet the full versions, and they don't support changing screen resolutions yet.

I haven't been able to run the Skyfire beta on anything but a QVGA device.
-
Is the Opera 9.5 that comes installed on Sprint Touch Diamonds and Pros still in beta? Somehow, I don't think HTC/Sprint would install beta software on production phones and still expect to support them!

EdFrmBrighthand

Aug 8, 2007
www.brighthand.com
Is the Opera 9.5 that comes installed on Sprint Touch Diamonds and Pros still in beta? Somehow, I don't think HTC/Sprint would install beta software on production phones and still expect to support them!
It's kind of an odd situation, but the only version of Opera 9.5 that's not a beta is running on the HTC devices you referenced. That version of this browser went through a special modification and debugging process specifically for those models, which means, among other things, that it won't run at anything other than VGA. IIRC this version has been pulled out by hackers, but it's not any more stable on other devices than the regular beta of Opera 9.5.
-

wodin

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
It's kind of an odd situation, but the only version of Opera 9.5 that's not a beta is running on the HTC devices you referenced. That version of this browser went through a special modification and debugging process specifically for those models, which means, among other things, that it won't run at anything other than VGA. IIRC this version has been pulled out by hackers, but it's not any more stable on other devices than the regular beta of Opera 9.5.
-
Thanks for the update.

Do these versions work with the REDFLY alpha/beta drivers?

car_designer

Jan 5, 2004
Visit site
yes, go to the download page for opera mobile and do not download the beta 9.x but scroll down and download the stable version which is a 8.x version. works great on the redfly.

I wish skyfire worked on the redfly. it rocks!

laurieny

Oct 28, 2008
Visit site
Support for other mobile browsers

As the posters here have noted, Opera 8.65 works great with the REDFLY and provides a wonderful Internet experience. We absolutely recommend that our customers use that product.

About the 9.5 beta, we are in close contact with the Opera development team in Oslo to solve the rendering issues. This is a very high priority for us, though unfortunately I can't give any definitive timeline on when this support will be available. We have also contacted the Skyfire team, though we aren't as far along in understanding the issues with it yet.

I will post updates on this support as more information becomes available, and we do appreciate your patience as we work through this as it will take several more weeks to fully resolve.

Thanks,
Laurie

Director of Engineering
Celio Corp | REDFLY

Bujin#IM

Sep 16, 2003
Visit site
As the posters here have noted, Opera 8.65 works great with the REDFLY and provides a wonderful Internet experience. We absolutely recommend that our customers use that product.

Just out of curiosity, why do you recommend Opera Mobile and not Mini?

laurieny

Oct 28, 2008
Visit site
Well it does depend on what you do online, and Mini is very good and fast as well. But Opera Mobile is just a lot more robust with features like AJAX support. A good description of the differences between the two is best described by Opera. I don't have enough posts yet to add links to my messages (soon!) so I can put the link here directly. But add the normal http prefix with this and go here:

.opera.com/products/choose/

-Laurie

Director of Engineering
Celio Corp | REDFLY

Bujin#IM

Sep 16, 2003
Visit site
Well it does depend on what you do online, and Mini is very good and fast as well. But Opera Mobile is just a lot more robust with features like AJAX support. A good description of the differences between the two is best described by Opera. I don't have enough posts yet to add links to my messages (soon!) so I can put the link here directly. But add the normal http prefix with this and go here:
QUOTE]

Okay thanks! I'll try it again - my initial impression was that Opera Mobile 8x seemed to be lacking a lot of features that the current beta does, but maybe I didn't give it much of a chance.

mying

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Why need Opera9.5? It's faster than even Opera8.65 and Opera mini at all.And also get a better view on page of internet.

There are many pages online that cann't loaded by Opera mini and Opera 8.65,they are all used based my experies.

Skyfire have a better behaveier on video,it's also important.I do not care about video,but it is good to get Redfly run this.......

miata492

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
i definitely agree that it would be great to get skyfire working on redfly. it is my number 1 browser. i have never used opera but i will be installing it today and trying it out.

Aware

Mar 23, 2008
Visit site
I found Opera Mini unusable on my BlackJack II - every time I click a like I get a silly 'wants to use your internet connection' dialogue. Opera Mobile doesn't do that. Works fine for me. When I find I cannot get the browser experience I need (inaccessible page, loads too slow or whatever) I use my laptop browser via remote desktop.

dsteinschneider#AC

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I reconfigured IE7 on an old machine in my office to run full screen mode (hide all toolbars, status bar and window frame). When I bump the top of the screen the tabs and address bar appear. Accessing this machine from my REDFLY via Remote Desktop over verizon EVDO browses faster than the WM6 IE 6 and gives me full access to any website.

jakubd

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site
I found Opera Mini unusable on my BlackJack II - every time I click a like I get a silly 'wants to use your internet connection' dialogue.
All you need to do is to download one of the certificate-signed versions (in other downloads) - in case of a such signed version you just need to accept this connection dialogue once.
Using Opera Mini might speed up downloading the page, but in case of unlimited data plans there are no other important good points. In case of limited amount of data in your plan - Opera Mini can really reduce amount of transmitted data and costs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs