Will Redfly Work With a Samsung EPIX?

jwebb56

May 19, 2007
Visit site
I really like the concept of the Redfly but would use it on a sAMSUNG EPIX. That phone does not show up on the SUPPORTED list yet but I also know that non-listed phones might work with either generic drivers or the drivers for other phones (e.g., a Treo Pro since they both run 6.1 at 320x320 res).

Has anyone got an EPIX working with a Redfly?

Aware

Mar 23, 2008
Visit site
It's Windows Mobile 6.1, right? I'd expect it to work. Certainly works fine with my BlackJack ... I know, different phone, touchscreen etc, but it should work :)

jwebb56

May 19, 2007
Visit site
Yeah, I have the feeling it'll work with perhaps a few minor quirks. But I'd hate to shell out $200 only to find out it doesn't work. If I knew the Epix was on their list to support it'd be different too.

jwebb56

May 19, 2007
Visit site
Good to know it will be supported as I have an EPIX on order, I did read one comment on a PC Thoughts forum that stated they had an EPIX and it worked fine with Redfly.

flyemhighrockets

Oct 16, 2008
www.flyemhighrockets.com
This Is Great!!

I justed order a epix also so what phone drivers will i need to download for the epix. I wouldnt think the blackjack drivers will work with the epix being a touch screen and windows pro 6.1 so will the tilt drivers work? Thanks.

jwebb56

May 19, 2007
Visit site
I'm a bit confused. The Redfly software downloads list separate devices but the files appear to be very common, with the principle differentiation being WM5, WM6, WM Std & WM Pro. There were no options during the load though to pick a specific phone.

So the question is: Are those similar names files identical (or are they phone specific but names the same)? and if they are similar, How do you pick a phone driver to try for a currently unsupported phone like the EPIX (which is reported to work with teh Tilt drivers)?

FlavioX

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
I've tested the Samsung SGH-i780 (European version of the Epix) with the Palm Treo Pro driver (because the TP is also 320x320 resolution) and all is working well. I use a custom Windows 6.1 ROM (from XDA Developers) on my i780 with 96dpi resolution. I haven't tested it with 128dpi resolution.

I also would like to know if all these different drivers are actually different or if there are just a few drivers for 6.0, 6.1, Pro and Standard. If they are indeed different why not name them different?

jwebb56

May 19, 2007
Visit site
I have the EPIX working with a "Treo 750 driver" previously downloaded. The only issue I've noticed is it will not connect with BT. So, on teh oft chance the drivers are really different (in spite of identical file names) I think I'll download the Treo Pro 6.1 driver and see if it works better.

jwebb56

May 19, 2007
Visit site
No, BT did not work. I strongly suspect that there is just one Driver file for WM6.1 Touchscreen devices and that I was actually reloading the identical driver. As far as things that don't work with an EPIX goes, the BT connection is the only one I have uncovered. The theme's aspect ratio also seems a bit off to me -- by that I mean the tiling is not square looking but is actually a bit wider that in is tall. Nothing very bad about that but it indicates the EPIX and its 320x320 screen is probably not truly supported yet.

Hopefully the beta driver for the EPIX will be in the next update and that update will be out soon.

Ebag333

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
There isn't just one driver, but all the drivers ARE very similar.

For example when I first started using the WM6 driver on my 700wx (before WM6 was supported), my 5 way would switch to landscape mode when I was connected to the Redfly. Since the driver I was using wasn't setup for square screen, it treated my Treo like a slider device.

Now that Celio supports the WM6 Treo, the driver works correctly. :)

So yes, there are some difference, but the bulk of the drivers are the same. Celio will most likely need to tweak the driver to work correctly with the Epix.

jwebb56

May 19, 2007
Visit site
Are you suggesting that all those identically named files (and identical file size) are really tweaked for different devices or that a single file contains the various drivers for the supported devices? I'm guessing the latter.

In any case, the EPIX is going to be supported officially in the next release. Since the Redfly works pretty well with an EPIX on the current driver release, it isn't too difficult to wait.