Universal Charging Tip for REDFLY?

jwebb56

May 19, 2007
Visit site
This may be a question best suited to be answered by a Celio employee on the forum. I use a Keningston Slim AC Charger that has Smarttips to adapt to a variey of inputs for charging electronic devices. My questions are:
1. Is there an existing Smarttip that fits REDFLY?
2. Is there a USB charging option for REDFLY?
3. Is there a car charging option for REDFLY?
Note: #3 is solved by a charging tip that adapts to USB (question #2)

laurieny

Oct 28, 2008
Visit site
jwebb56,

1. There is not an existing Smarttip that fits REDFLY. We are exploring the possibilities of working with another company that provides accessories like this. Nothing definite on the horizon.
2. There is not an existing USB charging option for REDFLY, though this too is something we are exploring. This option should be able sooner rather than later.
3. There is a car charging solution (and the adapter necessary is custom so we had to have this one manufactured specially). You can buy this on Amazon.com or Celio Corp store.

Thanks,
Laurie

Director of Engineering
Celio Corp | REDFLY

snovvman#CB

Mar 20, 2005
Visit site
The REDFLY power adapter is rated 9V at 2.5 amps. Since it can act as a charger/power source to other devices (and most phones charge at ~5 volts), it is easier and more efficient to start at higher voltage and step down with a DC to DC converter.

USB power specification is 5 volts at 500 mA (.5 amp). Many universal phone chargers are rated at 5 volts. Neither options seem viable to charge a device that requires 9 volts at 2.5 amps.

iGo may be an option since their adapter brick has multiple voltage taps. The Kensington system appears to use the same tip as iGo -- I presume they come from the same OE. The REDFLY tip seems fairly standard. In theory, you simply need to find a correct size tip and the correct polarity with a 9V tap. I've located tips in the past for some obscure applications with tips designated for other devices. It's not that hard--just figure out the tap/pinout, and go to Radio Shack and find one with the right size. Test it with a DVM to verify voltage/polarity.

Now, what that does to the warranty... Laurie can tell us. ;-)

Muirwoody

Apr 14, 2007
Visit site
I have a Tekkeon MP3300 universal battery/charger. It's "z" tip fits the Redfly. With voltage selectors including 9v up to 14v it should power and charge my Redfly, although I haven't needed to try it.

laurieny

Oct 28, 2008
Visit site
As long as you don't do something crazy and follow the guidelines below, you won't impact your warranty. I also wanted to note that we are continuing to look for accessories (like the charger) that will improve the product, and perhaps make some additional "upscale" (read more expensive) options available for an added cost like a USB charger with folding prongs, etc.

As far as a tip from one of the "universal" sets go, if you use one with a positive tip that is rated not less than 8V and not more than 12V and handles 2-3 Amps, you will be fine.

Thanks,
Laurie

Director of Engineering
Celio Corp | REDFLY

Viva Terlingua

Dec 19, 2007
Visit site
As long as you don't do something crazy and follow the guidelines below, you won't impact your warranty. I also wanted to note that we are continuing to look for accessories (like the charger) that will improve the product, and perhaps make some additional "upscale" (read more expensive) options available for an added cost like a USB charger with folding prongs, etc.

As far as a tip from one of the "universal" sets go, if you use one with a positive tip that is rated not less than 8V and not more than 12V and handles 2-3 Amps, you will be fine.

Thanks,
Laurie

Director of Engineering
Celio Corp | REDFLY

What happens with one that's 9V, 1.8 amps? Will it just take longer to charge, or will there be a problem?

Ebag333

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
Also, batteries do *NOT* like being charged less than what you're drawing from them. (IE: supplying a 1 A charge while drawing 3 A.)

This will generate a lot of heat, and is potentially destructive on the battery. Most smartphones/PPC's have settings to turn off the phone once the battery reaches a certain temp. I don't know if the Redfly has this or any sort of thermal overload cutoff (if it doesn't, it should), but ending up with a lap full of battery juice is not anyones idea of fun.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans