Redfly and the AT&T Fuze: One User's Experiences

EdFrmBrighthand

Aug 8, 2007
www.brighthand.com
I just received an AT&T Fuze -- this carrier's version of the HTC Touch Pro -- and I want to give a preliminary report on using it with the Redfly. I've only had the Fuze for a few hours, so I can't be anything like definitive.

I don't mean to keep you waiting: the two work fine together. I'm not sure what Verizon did to break compatibility with its version of the Touch Pro, but AT&T's doesn't have a problem.

Well, it doesn't have any problems not related to the fact that TouchFLO 3D works poorly on the Redfly's WVGA screen. If you're going to want to use these two devices together, I'd suggest you shut down TouchFLO 3D.

So far, I've only run into one problem: LogMeIn is a complete bust. It won't recognize any keyboard input. But that's not the Redfly's fault; LogMeIn won't accept input from the Fuze's built-in keyboard either.

Oh yeah, Opera Mobile 9.5 continues to not work, but that goes without saying.

As I spend more time with this smartphone, I'll try to update this with some additional comments.
-

wagadesa#WN

Apr 5, 2001
Visit site
Ed - which Redfly driver are you using on the Touch Pro?

I would love to be able to use my Redfly again, since switching to the Touch Pro.

EdFrmBrighthand

Aug 8, 2007
www.brighthand.com
I would love to be able to use my Redfly again, since switching to the Touch Pro.
You're using a Touch Pro, not a Fuze? Just keep in mind, there's obviously some significant difference between Sprint's version of the Touch Pro and AT&T's. Sprint's won't work with the Redfly with some drivers that Celio is cooking up. AT&T's works with the standard one.

So if you're using the Touch Pro you'll have to wait for the new driver. If you're using the Fuze you can get the driver off the Celio website:
http://www.celiocorp.com/install/

Direct link:
Use the one for another Pro drive, like the AT&T Tilt, not a Standard device, like the Q9h.
-

EdFrmBrighthand

Aug 8, 2007
www.brighthand.com
It occurs to me I should point out one of the major effects of using a smartphone that has a VGA screen with the Redfly: you end up with "My First Laptop". :)

The smartphone (HTC Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, etc.) has a screen that's fairly small but has a VGA resolution. In order for the text displayed to be readable, it needs to be in a fairly large font. The icons have to be high-resolution too, for them to be usable.

When you hook a Redfly to this device, you transfer everything on the smartphone's screen to the Redfly's display. This screen is much larger, but its resolution isn't much higher. As a result, all the text is in "easy eye" form, and the icons are, too. Basically, everything is very large.

There are some places where you can work around this. Word Mobile lets you reduce the viewing size of documents, for example, and IE lets you do the same with web pages. But there are many places where you're just going to have to learn to like it.

If your eyes aren't as young as they used to be, you might actually love it.
-

btate0121

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
sooo... ummmm

sounds to me like anyone who's developed somewhat of a routine with their current device (for me.. the tilt) which would work somewhat flawlessly, would be in for a fair amount of tweaking if upgrading to the fuze?

would you consider this problem to be a deal breaker for those considering upgrades? is there a one time registry hack that we could "set and forget" or is it something we'd need to fiddle with on every connect.

I've been giving some hard thought to selling my tilt to grab the fuze... but this report makes me think really hard about that.... i like the way my current set up runs.. nice and easy.

donjose

Dec 9, 2008
Visit site
My bugs with the redfly

i'm using the beta drivers fromt he redfly site for my att fuze. here are the issues i'm having:

1. After disconnecting from the Redfly, the display for my contacts and calendar is zoomed out, so that the text is difficult to read. I haven't found a resolution for this online anywhere. I've tried uninstalling the software, but the display remains zoomed out.

2. Videos take a longer time to open. Windows Media Player seems to take a few seconds longer to open video files. Un-installing the Redfly softwared fixes this.

3. The Fuze gives you an option to connect via Active Sync, as a hard drive, or as an internet connection when a usb cable is connected, but it appears that an active sync connection is automatically chosen whenever the a cable is connected, regardless of which option I choose. I used to be able to connect my phone as a hard drive to other devices, but am unable to do so after installing the redfly software. Un-installing fixes this.

GadgetMan#WP

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Redfly and Sprint Touch Pro

I upgraded from an HTC Tilt phone to the new Sprint Touch Pro. I bought a Redfly device, went to the beta site at Celio and installed the drivers. I am using my phone with the Redfly device. It works great! My old Tilt also worked on the Redfly device. I just wanted to try a different phone for a while.
When I connect to the Redfly, my phone's fonts change to be visible on the Redfly, but after I turn off the device, my phone's font sizing changes back to the original size. This must have been fixed recently.
One thing I did notice, Opera 9.5 is not working when connected to the Redfly device. However, according to the Celio web site, they are working on getting that version compatible. I am anxious to see if the new drivers have fixed this problem.
For you Sprint users, here is the beta link to the Redfly drivers: www.celiocorp.com/install/beta

Aware

Mar 23, 2008
Visit site
Nope - there's probably permanent hardware issues (Win Mobile doesn't send video through BlueTooth or USB effectively) that prevents this.

If you launch Windows Media Player (and others) before connecting to RedFly it will 'work', but the best you'll get is something miserable like about 4 fps.

eugarps

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
Aware,

Bummer! I was looking forward to being able to watch movies on those long intercontinental flights. I understand that I can hook my iPhone up and watch videos, if I get a C8N and the required cables?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss