11-23-2008 12:04 PM
44 12
tools
    [QUOTE=snovvman;1523253]
    I think the best 2 things about this is the wider screen and the new prices...
    I don't care about the larger screen - the resolution is just the same, so all you get is bigger pixels, not more of them. If the wider screen was 1024x600 I would have been happy :-)
    11-18-2008 12:20 PM
    and you're right.. the 8inch is currently on the red version too. CHEA!
    Really? Dang it, I was sure the current screen was 7 inch... oh well :-)
    11-18-2008 12:21 PM
    I have a prototype Redfly C8N, and I'll be publishing a review before too much longer.

The short version is that the new Media port works well for displaying video from an external source. That external source can't be your smartphone unless your phone has video-out. There are a few that meet this requirement, like the HTC Advantage.

And it's important to keep in mind that the typical Redfly functionality -- acting as a display and keyboard for your Windows Mobile smartphone -- is completely separate from the multimedia playback. You don't even have to have a smartphone connected to the Redfly to watch movies off an iPod. Videos show up in a separate window from the session you're having with the smartphone.
    -
    11-18-2008 12:37 PM
    I have a prototype Redfly C8N, and I'll be publishing a review before too much longer.

The short version is that the new Media port works well for displaying video from an external source. That external source can't be your smartphone unless your phone has video-out. There are a few that meet this requirement, like the HTC Advantage.

-

It would appear that you'd end up with a ton of cables/adapters if you wanted to use this as a portable video setup.

The A/V cable for the Zune is three RCA plugs, you'd need the Redfly media cable to get the video to the Redfly, and then you'd need a RCA to 3.5mm headphone adpater to be able to plug your headphones in, and then potentially a Zune sync cable so you could power your zune while playing back.

Still I'd love to have this capability on my original Redfly...
    11-18-2008 01:35 PM
    Videos show up in a separate window from the session you're having with the smartphone.
    Can you clarify this some?

Does the screen window/split when both are hooked up? I'm not sure I follow.

Piccies would help greatly. :p
    11-18-2008 01:47 PM
    Actually, since I have zero use for the media port, I'm perfectly fine with my C8. Nice to see that Celio is offering multiple configs, and both at reasonable prices.
    Ditto on both counts. Keeping the price down will encourage individuals, as well as corporations, to make the investment.

I do, however, feel compelled to point out that it's a little odd to see that a device that's got a smaller screen and less battery life than the C8 actually costs MORE than the original model. Unless someone's flat-out adamant about having a black case rather than a deep red one, or absolutely must save that half-pound of extra weight, I don't see the C7s moving as well until the C8s are out of stock for good.
    11-18-2008 04:47 PM
    I do, however, feel compelled to point out that it's a little odd to see that a device that's got a smaller screen and less battery life than the C8 actually costs MORE than the original model. Unless someone's flat-out adamant about having a black case rather than a deep red one, or absolutely must save that half-pound of extra weight, I don't see the C7s moving as well until the C8s are out of stock for good.
    The original C8 is selling at a special sale price, which I doubt Celio is making much (any) money from.

So yeah, if you don't need the extra features of the new one, jump on the C8 while you still have a chance. :p
    11-18-2008 05:17 PM
    I have no use for the media in port, it almost makes me want to buy another C8. Amazon.com still has them listed for $199. That's a bigger screen than the C7 for a better price; just a little heavier.
    11-18-2008 05:28 PM
    To be honest, I am kinda disappointed. I agree with Wodin. I would have rather seen them add video functionality to the phone and not to other devices that require more cables. Not that there wouldn't be a market for this but not for me.
    11-18-2008 05:42 PM
    I'm underwhelmed by the announcement. Like many others I have no use for a media in port. I'm also okay with the present 800x480 display too, at least until the phones get powerful enough to drive higer res displays effectively.

What I wanted to see was:
    1. More phones supported (Redfly needs to support virtually all WM6 devices)
    2. More phones supported (I'd settle for a list that included the EPIX)
    3. A touchscreen (I hate touchpads* and a mouse is not always handy)

* - But for some reason I like the EPIX's version of the touchpad
    11-18-2008 08:50 PM
    To be honest, I am kinda disappointed. I agree with Wodin. I would have rather seen them add video functionality to the phone and not to other devices that require more cables. Not that there wouldn't be a market for this but not for me.
    Actually they did add video functionality to the phone *potentially*. Now we just need someone to figure out how to makes an adapter for each phone that would provide NTSC video out from our phones. Or we wait for future phones to have this output. Either way, the Video input feature on the C8N will become useful in the future.:D
    11-18-2008 09:16 PM
    This thread was 3 pages long last night? What happened?
    11-19-2008 11:39 AM
    Looks like all the posts from 11/18 are gone, from what I can tell...not just this thread, but others as well.
    11-19-2008 11:51 AM
    Site problems. Dieter Bohn wrote:

Most importantly at this minute is it looks like last night we managed to lose yesterday's postings. We were careful to do backups so I'm confident that we'll get those threads and posts back -- just may take some time. I'm working on it.
    as part of a much longer explanation:
    http://forums.wmexperts.com/showthre...95#post1523195
    -
    11-19-2008 12:38 PM
    While we're waiting for all of yesterday's posts to come back, let me point out again that Celio announced two new versions of the Redfly yesterday.

You can learn more at:
    http://blog.celiocorp.com/

My review of the just-announced Redfly C8N is at:
    http://www.brighthand.com/resource/Redfly_C8N_Review/
    -
    11-19-2008 01:11 PM
    I would feel cheesed about an upgrade dropping less than a month after I bought one of these things....
    except it's not really an upgrade
    still waiting on the convertible touchscreen guys...
    11-19-2008 03:04 PM
    I would feel cheesed about an upgrade dropping less than a month after I bought one of these things....
    except it's not really an upgrade
    still waiting on the convertible touchscreen guys...
    It's not really an upgrade!

The C8N adds an analog video in port for an extra hundred bucks, and the C7 is an inch smaller screen and smaller battery for thirty bucks more.

Unless you really need analog video in, the original C8 is a much better deal. As of last nite Amazon still had them for $199.
    11-19-2008 04:38 PM
    It's not really an upgrade!

The C8N adds an analog video in port for an extra hundred bucks, and the C7 is an inch smaller screen and smaller battery for thirty bucks more.

Unless you really need analog video in, the original C8 is a much better deal. As of last nite Amazon still had them for $199.
    And was posted (but apparently missing), the $199 price was a special sale price. The normal (original) price was $499.95.

So yes, the new CN8 is not only an upgrade (has an additional port) but a lower price than the C8.

Comparing the "we're clearing our stock for new models so this is the special sales price" to the "this is the regular price" is comparing apples to oranges.

That being said, if you don't need the media port, go out and get a C8 while you still can. :D
    11-19-2008 04:44 PM
    -
    So is the power switch the same in the C8N?
    11-23-2008 12:04 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD