No Media Port
MSRP - $229

REDFLY Model C8N
8-inch, 800x480-pixel display
VGA Out 800x600
8-hour, 4,500 mAh battery
2 lbs
2 USB ports
Media Port (NTSC/PAL video in with optional cable)
MSRP - $299

So the differences are:

Size of the screen (7" VS 8")
Battery size (5 hour VS 8 hour)
Media port (none VS having one)
Price (I'm wondering if the price on the C8N will go back up whille the C7 will stay low)

Dieter said:
The C8N is pretty much identical to the original Redfly with a one important difference. They've added a “Media Port” which, with a $20 cable (you have to buy it separately) will allow you to use the Redfly as a screen for an iPod, Zune, or whatever else you've got with a composite video out (that's the 'yellow plug'). The cable also has another USB port on it for charging.

http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/redfly_gets_revved_two_new_mod.html

Dieter said:
Speaking of that original, it's still keeping that reduced $199 price at the WMExperts Store until stock runs out.

So thats why they kept the promotional price running, they wanted to sell out their stock of original ones.

Dang it, I just bought one too! Hmm, now how can I talk the Mrs into "upgrading" to the new one, that media port sounds slick!

i think the media port (if i understand it correctly) is pointless.. there's already a VGA out.. meh.. seems like a nice option.. but i'd rather have seen one of the other features people have been talking about around here... but i understand cost limitations so *shrug*.

I definitely think the sku offered first (the red one) was teh best one.. it's the C8 minus the larger screen and video out port.. but keeping that awesome battery. I do like the new color too!

The media port isn't an out, it's an in. As in (pardon the pun :p ) you can plug in your zune, ipod, anything with a media out port and view the screen on a glorious 8" display. So you can now use your Redfly (the new one, that is) for watching movies, but you have to have a media out port to do so (hmm, there are a few smartphones/PPCs that have this I think).

Still, it means you can carry a zune/ipod/etc instead of a portable DVD player.

And the current one on WMExperts (red model) is the C8 minus the media in port, and without the redesigned keyboard. It has the same sized screen.

My question to Celio is....can I order one of the new keyboards and plug it into my current Redfly(s)? I want the OK button moved, dangit! :D

snovvman#CB

Mar 20, 2005
Visit site
I think the best 2 things about this is the wider screen and the new prices... BRAVO!

I definitely think the sku offered first (the red one) was teh best one.. it's the C8 minus the larger screen and video out port.. QUOTE]

As far as I can tell, the C8 and C8N have the same size screen and same resolution.

btate0121

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
even as a media IN port... still "meh" until they come out with a cable for pda's... so it's obviously a move to grab at the media player market.. good for them!

I will say this.. while this batch of upgrades isn't enough to open my wallet.. i AM actually VERY GLAD that they're doing well enough to start offering more that one version of the redfly... i DO WANT Celio to be around for a LONG TIME and continue to grow and make more of these things.. they're VERY useful.. but hey.. can't make everybody COMPLETELY happy! I'll wait for that touchscreen version *wink*

and you're right.. the 8inch is currently on the red version too. CHEA!

EdFrmBrighthand

Aug 8, 2007
www.brighthand.com
I have a prototype Redfly C8N, and I'll be publishing a review before too much longer.

The short version is that the new Media port works well for displaying video from an external source. That external source can't be your smartphone unless your phone has video-out. There are a few that meet this requirement, like the HTC Advantage.

And it's important to keep in mind that the typical Redfly functionality -- acting as a display and keyboard for your Windows Mobile smartphone -- is completely separate from the multimedia playback. You don't even have to have a smartphone connected to the Redfly to watch movies off an iPod. Videos show up in a separate window from the session you're having with the smartphone.
-

dc_in_sf

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
I have a prototype Redfly C8N, and I'll be publishing a review before too much longer.

The short version is that the new Media port works well for displaying video from an external source. That external source can't be your smartphone unless your phone has video-out. There are a few that meet this requirement, like the HTC Advantage.

-

It would appear that you'd end up with a ton of cables/adapters if you wanted to use this as a portable video setup.

The A/V cable for the Zune is three RCA plugs, you'd need the Redfly media cable to get the video to the Redfly, and then you'd need a RCA to 3.5mm headphone adpater to be able to plug your headphones in, and then potentially a Zune sync cable so you could power your zune while playing back.

Still I'd love to have this capability on my original Redfly...

Gabey8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
Actually, since I have zero use for the media port, I'm perfectly fine with my C8. Nice to see that Celio is offering multiple configs, and both at reasonable prices.

Ditto on both counts. Keeping the price down will encourage individuals, as well as corporations, to make the investment.

I do, however, feel compelled to point out that it's a little odd to see that a device that's got a smaller screen and less battery life than the C8 actually costs MORE than the original model. Unless someone's flat-out adamant about having a black case rather than a deep red one, or absolutely must save that half-pound of extra weight, I don't see the C7s moving as well until the C8s are out of stock for good.

Ebag333

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
I do, however, feel compelled to point out that it's a little odd to see that a device that's got a smaller screen and less battery life than the C8 actually costs MORE than the original model. Unless someone's flat-out adamant about having a black case rather than a deep red one, or absolutely must save that half-pound of extra weight, I don't see the C7s moving as well until the C8s are out of stock for good.

The original C8 is selling at a special sale price, which I doubt Celio is making much (any) money from.

So yeah, if you don't need the extra features of the new one, jump on the C8 while you still have a chance. :p

wodin

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I have no use for the media in port, it almost makes me want to buy another C8. Amazon.com still has them listed for $199. That's a bigger screen than the C7 for a better price; just a little heavier.

sixftunda

Jul 29, 2007
Visit site
To be honest, I am kinda disappointed. I agree with Wodin. I would have rather seen them add video functionality to the phone and not to other devices that require more cables. Not that there wouldn't be a market for this but not for me.

jwebb56

May 19, 2007
Visit site
I'm underwhelmed by the announcement. Like many others I have no use for a media in port. I'm also okay with the present 800x480 display too, at least until the phones get powerful enough to drive higer res displays effectively.

What I wanted to see was:
1. More phones supported (Redfly needs to support virtually all WM6 devices)
2. More phones supported (I'd settle for a list that included the EPIX)
3. A touchscreen (I hate touchpads* and a mouse is not always handy)

* - But for some reason I like the EPIX's version of the touchpad

RC46

Oct 14, 2003
Visit site
To be honest, I am kinda disappointed. I agree with Wodin. I would have rather seen them add video functionality to the phone and not to other devices that require more cables. Not that there wouldn't be a market for this but not for me.

Actually they did add video functionality to the phone *potentially*. Now we just need someone to figure out how to makes an adapter for each phone that would provide NTSC video out from our phones. Or we wait for future phones to have this output. Either way, the Video input feature on the C8N will become useful in the future.:D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes