Touch Diamond and Touch Pro beta drivers

mskovrinskie

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
A new driver was posted today.

The driver installed fine but I can't get the firmware to update. When connected to my Fuze and I run the firmware CAB, it gets to the next screen and then it disconnects, reconnects, and leaves the RF with the RF white screen and my device with a black screen. I need to soft-reset the phone.

Anyone else have success with the .64 firmware?

UPDATE: I could only get the firmware update to work through another phone, an HTC Tytn II. The upgrade went as expected with that device connected.

I also noticed how much better the RF drivers work on this device as compared to the Fuze/TouchPro. The VGA drivers have a long way to go in terms of video performance and usability. The menu keys and title bar area are normal sized on this older qVGA device as opposed to the Fisher-Price look on the Fuze with the RF.

Last edited:

edk

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
SOLVED!! - Advanced Network seting corrupted

I'm still having trouble connecting on my second RF unit, even after trying Beta .64, so there must be a config issue somewhere. Let me get the obvious out of the way...
1. YES, I have Advanced Network turned on
2. YES, my USB cables are working (I have 4), and sync works fine (I got the driver and FW files onto the Fuze and the driver installed on the phone).

After the FW cab installs on the phone, it then asks you to connect to the RF so it can transfer the FW to it. But the RF never sees the Fuze - it always indicates "Unknown Device - Make sure Advanced Network setting is enabled".

I've tried everything I can think of to get these two devices to connect - it just ain't happening! Before I give up and ship back to Celio as a lost cause, is there anything anyone here can think of that would prevent a USB connection? I obviously can't connect via BT b/c you need to connect via USB to configure BT. I've spent a huge amount of time just trying to get to first base with this thing. Any constructive suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Update 12/11: Got the two devices connected finally. Turns out that one or more of the tweaks that I had used (which most of you have used/recommended), had corrupted something in the RNDIS area of the USB port driver. We had to do a master reset to finally determine this vs. a bad USB port. Now the hard part - adding the CABs and tweaks back on one at a time and seeing which one or combination affected this setting (USB-to-PC Advance Network setting, or RNDIS network layer - both related).

Last edited:

bioart#WP

Aug 22, 2000
Visit site
Installed fine for me on my Sprint TP. Still want a way to disable TF3D upon connecting (and select specific items on the start menu instead).

Seems better, but some fonts still look like they could be smaller. It's too late to really test, but I like where this is going :)

Last edited:

lynnpreston

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
I'm still having trouble connecting on my second RF unit, even after trying Beta .64, so there must be a config issue somewhere. Let me get the obvious out of the way...
1. YES, I have Advanced Network turned on
2. YES, my USB cables are working (I have 4), and sync works fine (I got the driver and FW files onto the Fuze and the driver installed on the phone).

After the FW cab installs on the phone, it then asks you to connect to the RF so it can transfer the FW to it. But the RF never sees the Fuze - it always indicates "Unknown Device - Make sure Advanced Network setting is enabled".

Are you using the USB cable that came with your Fuze? I've had trouble getting my Sprint TP to connect with a "normal" USB cable. Just a thought.

drjohn61

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
Installed fine for me on my Sprint TP. Still want a way to disable TF3D upon connecting (and select specific items on the start menu instead).

Seems better, but some fonts still look like they could be bigger. It's too late to really test, but I like where this is going :)

It would be nice if they would post a revision history so that we could better evaluate the changes (i.e., even know what to look for). The post on the web has not changed from the 61 version...

drjohn61

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
It's not a Sprint thing... that's how TouchPros come.

You can change it, but I'm not aware of a standard setting. It involves some registry editing.

Here's one thread to "Disable opera as default browser".

I have tried a couple of different things and none seem to work. I have read that if I install another version of Opera and then uninstall it, it will set PIE as the default--but then there is no way to get Opera reset as default when the driver (finally) works with 9.5. (I know I can backup and restore or hard reset, but there really seems like there should be an easier option...)

drjohn61

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
It's not a Sprint thing... that's how TouchPros come.

You can change it, but I'm not aware of a standard setting. It involves some registry editing.

Here's one thread to "Disable opera as default browser".

This was not completely satisfying (at least what I tried did not really work--Opera still took over). I read in some of material that if you install another version of Opera (older or the newer beta) that you have two versions on the phone. When you then uninstall the second Opera, it will reset PIE as the default. This is irreversible though--you have to back-up/restore or hard reset to get Opera back as the default (and I think we all are hoping that 9.5 will finally work...) There HAS to be an easier short-term solution...

stanip

Apr 6, 2007
Visit site
Tested out the new driver on my touchpro. I use PocketBreeze on my today (after removing all other standard MS today stuff) but every time I connect, this driver spends a few seconds to add back calendar, message, clock and task back to my Today which I needed to waste time to remove.

After connection, it feels quite stable. But the connection time is too long and apparently this new driver has conflicts with other add-ons like Pocketbreeze. Looks like I need to stay with the original old driver a little longer... :(

graham.hughes

Nov 5, 2008
Visit site
Hmmm... yes, messing about with the today screen is a problem. Better if they left it alone, unless you're running TouchFlo, in which case replace it with some kind of "RedFlo" (something like the landscape TouchFlo).

lynnpreston

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
Being a developer myself, I know better than to trivialize a software/firmware task, but I'm wondering what the issue is with getting full resolution with the RedFly and Touch Pro. Windows Mobile supports the 800 x 480 res, so I wonder what makes the Touch Pro so difficult. I say this in a curious developer way, not a derogatory, sarcastic way.

drjohn61

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
Tested out the new driver on my touchpro. I use PocketBreeze on my today (after removing all other standard MS today stuff) but every time I connect, this driver spends a few seconds to add back calendar, message, clock and task back to my Today which I needed to waste time to remove.

After connection, it feels quite stable. But the connection time is too long and apparently this new driver has conflicts with other add-ons like Pocketbreeze. Looks like I need to stay with the original old driver a little longer... :(

I have TouchFlo disabled and run SPB mobile shell. I don't seem to have the problem with Today.

drjohn61

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
In reference to setting PIE as default:

This has not resulted in a satisfactory solution, yet. I read in some further posts that one can install the new 9.5 beta (or an older version of Opera) and then uninstall it--this then sets the default back to PIE. BUT it is irreversible--you have to either do a backup/restore or hard reset to get Opera back as the default (which will hopefully be necessary soon when the Fly works with Opera 9.5;) ). It really seems like there should be an easier solution.

Last edited:

bioart#WP

Aug 22, 2000
Visit site
BTW, although cable connection is rock stable, the USB connections are still dropping. It seems to take longer to drop, but that may just be wishful thinking.

Regarding the interface, there really is no need to use touchflo on the redfly... but it has to automatically change back when disconnected (and hopefully remember the previous settings). Since I'm a newbie to windows mobile, I still feel lost without tf3d on the phone, so it is useful to have it, but I always disable when using the redfly. At least make the phone think it's on landscape, then it would automatically switch to the more useful view without the animations...

Finally, I Agree, changelog would be great.

stanip

Apr 6, 2007
Visit site

UPDATE: I found the reason... it was because I used a custom rom version without Manila (i.e. rom does not have touchflo3D). Now I refreshed the rom with a Manila version and I disabled the touchflo3D and everything seems to be fine. The problem with today seems to have gone away. BT reconnection is a lot more stable and the reconnection is very fast but I need to test it for a few more days to report back. So far so good... :)

graham.hughes

Nov 5, 2008
Visit site
Being a developer myself, I know better than to trivialize a software/firmware task, but I'm wondering what the issue is with getting full resolution with the RedFly and Touch Pro. Windows Mobile supports the 800 x 480 res, so I wonder what makes the Touch Pro so difficult. I say this in a curious developer way, not a derogatory, sarcastic way.

The TouchPro is not really a problem... in the sense that, I am using a TouchPro with a RedFly, and they work perfectly together.

Opera 9.5 is a problem, because it draws directly to the screen. It by-passes the operating system and, in doing so, by-passes the RedFly driver.

The problem with huge fonts... applications are just not built to cope with font-sizes suddenly changing. Especially applications that are already running (like the Today screen). Even if they could cope, all the artwork for icons is too big (like the Windows logo for the start-menu, for example). Hence you get the "Fisher Price" look.

If I understand right, the Sprint branded variant doesn't work at all with the old drivers. Why that is, I have no idea. But Celio seem to have that fixed.

I'm afraid that solving the "Fisher Price" issue, without reducing application compatibility, will be extremely difficult (and might not be possible).

bioart#WP

Aug 22, 2000
Visit site
Did a bunch of testing of .64 drivers on my touch pro during my 3 hour drive today (i wasn't driving)...

Anyways, other than the wasted space because of large fonts, the cable connection worked fairly well. I was not able to properly use google maps with gps enabled, but I assume that's because of all the redraws. Google maps worked fine without the gps functionality.

On the other hand, the bluetooth connection sucked. It dropped all the time and even refused to come back once...

Looking forward to a driver update sometime this week :)

Art

edk

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Are you using the USB cable that came with your Fuze? I've had trouble getting my Sprint TP to connect with a "normal" USB cable. Just a thought.

Lynn,

Alas, yes - I have about 6 USB cables now, and none of them allow a connection to the RF. The OEM cable is weak at the connector, doesn't always allow a sync. My new ones are nice and solid, perfect syncs. I wasn't aware that there might be anything special abou the OEM cable. But, to rule it out, I'll retry again with the OEM cable.

Anyone have a better idea just what that "Advanced Network" setting is on the USB connection page? That is the RF's complaint, though the RF doesn't seems to work regardless of that setting. Just wondering (can't test now), if the RF doesn't work, I wonder if the cellular modem will work - it uses RNDIS, which is part of the Advanced Network setting, and if there are special pins on that connector for such connections, it may not work either, even though Sync does. Just a thought - I'm beaten senseless by this thing and am about to give up.

I've been waiting for a tweaker out there to give me a tip that some setting may be wrong on the Fuze, but nothing comes, either from Celio support or this forum! It looks like my best course of action a this point is to return both units for a refund and try again later. :-(

- Ed K.

sran

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
incoming calls using .64 update

The revision notes for HTC regarding the v.64 beta driver on the Celio site state:
The dialpad display on incoming phone calls does not render properly the first time it is loaded, and on subsequent uses has some visual anomalies. (Note: This was resolved with build 64.)

However, I've been using the .64 updates on my sprint touch pro. With incoming calls, I notice the dialpad screen no longer becomes garbled, but it doesn't show anything. The display doesn't change other than the Left Soft button changing to "Send Text".

If I manually lauch the Phone application during an incoming call, the dialpad does display, but showing only half of the dialpad.

Bluetooth still seems to drop frequently.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans