Suggestion: Let the Keyboard Act as a Stand-alone Accessory

EdFrmBrighthand

Aug 8, 2007
www.brighthand.com
The Video-In feature in the Redfly C8N opens up some interesting possibilities. For instance, it's no longer necessary for a device to have specific drivers to use the Redfly's display. I can hook up my UMPC running Windows XP and have an external display, for example. And a number of non-Windows Mobile smartphones have Video-Out, including some of the latest models from Nokia.

There is one hitch, though: the keyboard can't be used with anything but Windows Mobile. So I was wondering, would it be possible for the Redfly's keyboard to act as a stand-along accessory? Ideally the connection would be over Bluetooth, but USB would be acceptable.

This would allow someone with a UMPC or Tablet PC to hook up a Redfly and take advantage of most of its features. And I expect Video-Out to become increasingly common on smartphones as time goes by. Everyone is looking for ways to compensate for the small displays on mobile devices, and Video-Out helps.

If the Redfly's keyboard could act as a Bluetooth keyboard for these models, a full driver wouldn't be necessary. Or it could at least tide people over until a driver can be developed.

I don't know that people would buy a Redfly entirely to use it this way, but it would be a nice addition to its feature set.

p.s. As long as I'm throwing out suggestions, if the Redfly is hooked to a PC via USB to allow the keyboard to be used, access to the Redfly's extra USB ports would be gravy.
-

Last edited:

wodin

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
The Video-In feature in the Redfly C8N opens up some interesting possibilities. For instance, it's no longer necessary for a device to have specific drivers to use the Redfly's display. I can hook up my UMPC running Windows XP and have an external display, for example. And a number of non-Windows Mobile smartphones have Video-Out, including some of the latest models from Nokia.

There is one hitch, though: the keyboard can't be used with anything but Windows Mobile. So I was wondering, would it be possible for the Redfly's keyboard to act as a stand-along accessory? Ideally the connection would be over Bluetooth, but USB would be acceptable.

This would allow someone with a UMPC or Tablet PC to hook up a Redfly and take advantage of most of its features. And I expect Video-Out to become increasingly common on smartphones as time goes by. Everyone is looking for ways to compensate for the small displays on mobile devices, and Video-Out helps.

If the Redfly's keyboard could act as a Bluetooth keyboard for these models, a full driver wouldn't be necessary. Or it could at least tide people over until a driver can be developed.

I don't know that people would buy a Redfly entirely to use it this way, but it would be a nice addition to its feature set.

p.s. As long as I'm throwing out suggestions, if the Redfly is hooked to a PC via USB to allow the keyboard to be used, access to the Redfly's extra USB ports would be gravy.
-

I wonder how Stowaway Bluetooth KB drivers would work?

SpriteGF

Jul 8, 2006
Visit site
I would love to use the Redfly with the display output from my phone turned off (so only the keyboard is used), because of the screen typing lag in Documents To Go (unless this has been fixed in a more recent firmware?).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs