redfly software/dock

cplush#WP

Dec 26, 2008
Visit site
this looks kinda handy, but also looks like it might replace the redfly mobile companion...will the companion be scrapped for these i wonder?

Boo Radley

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure if I should be saying I don't think so or I hope not.

If they're significantly cheaper, they may take the place of the Redfly in time. However, I'm sure there'll still be a place for the Redfly. Case in point, I'm a social worker who travels and works in a rural school. The Macs (ugh!) are so strictly maintained that I highly doubt I'd be able to hook up my PPC (besides, there's no mention that Macs are supported in the article). Therefore, bringing my Redfly is the perfect solution.

Maybe that's not the best example, but more so a plea to maintain the Redfly. My impression is that Celio has a good following so far, so it probably wouldn't be the best decision to drop us.

wodin

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
this looks kinda handy, but also looks like it might replace the redfly mobile companion...will the companion be scrapped for these i wonder?

Now that Celio has introduced the concept, what's to prevent dozens of WinMo developers for jumping on the band wagon?

There are already several companies making software that displays your phone's screen on your PC monitor, all they need to do is increase the resolution to something useful.

Now if they can make the PC's reasources, e.g. USB ports, card readers etc. available to the phone, that alone would be be HOT!!

cplush#WP

Dec 26, 2008
Visit site
well, the mobile companion already makes the USB and card readers accessible to the phone, so i bet the software will do that too...i love the redfly for classes (im a college student) and would hate to see this idea fizzle out

cplush#WP

Dec 26, 2008
Visit site
however, i love the concept of the software/dock and see how they can be used in conjunction with the redfly mobile companion, if the winmo team would integrate the OS more with redfly the possibilities are amazing.

ckj

Jul 31, 2008
www.celiocorp.com
There are no plans for the REDFLY to go away with many new versions in the pipeline today planed out years in advance.

The Smartphone Dock, Auto touchscreen concept, and Android proof-of-concept are all just part of us trying to develop our vision for the future ? one day your smartphone could be your only computer. One set of apps. One data plan. One place for storage, etc. and all of our products will give people various options to interact with the phone using larger screens, keyboards, touchscreens etc. during those times when the smartphone?s smaller screen and keyboard just won?t do.

The PC Software was highly requested by customers and is all about giving people options. If you already have a Windows XP or Vista device, and don?t mind all the extra imaging, maintenance, or software licenses that go into a separate stand-alone device, then the PC Software will let you do much of the same stuff a REDFLY will let you do. If you like the idea of a (nearly) zero-maintenance, low Total Cost of Ownership, and highly secure, instant-ish on device, then the REDFLY is for you.

There are other PC software packages out there that will let you view your smartphone screen on a PC. Where Celio really stands out with the new PC Software is that ours is the only software that (just like on a REDFLY) will actually change the output screen resolution and give you a lot more screen ?real estate? in that window on your PC desktop. All of the other packages that I know of, will let you see your smartphone screen, but only at the native resolution of the phone. We?re planning on allowing resolutions up to 1024x768 (may not come in the v 1.0 release though).

Let me know if you have any other questions about all this stuff. It will still be a few weeks before we get any real info up on the main celiocorp.com website as we need to wait until closer to the March launch date on the PC Software.

cplush#WP

Dec 26, 2008
Visit site
ok...will it be possible to minimize the window the screen is displayed on or will it only cover only the entire screen? I mean, can i run XP and this at the same time, so it sort of runs like the "other" programs out there when i dont need it in full screen? it sounds pretty cool and something that could even complement the mobile companion......

wodin

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Can I cut and paste from the PC to the phone and visa-versa using the PC's clipboard? That'd be jammin'!

Aware

Mar 23, 2008
Visit site
I love the software idea. I sit all day working on my laptop, and I have my phone beside me. Many times during the day I switch to my phone to do things - sms, email, read a book etc. There are things I can do to 'run' my phone from the laptop, but none that would give me the same experience as the RedFly Mobile COmpanion, or this software app. I'm excited by the software.

Not sure why I might prefer the dock over the software though - is there info somewhere that I have overlooked which makes a direct feature-for-feature comparison, or something that paints usage scenarios to help us decide?

cplush#WP

Dec 26, 2008
Visit site
maybe the dock is like a "pre-processor" and helps give you better response time when hooked up? but i heard that the dock was for when all u had was a monitor and keyboard...sort of like a USB hub for periphials....or a mobile companion without the screen and keyboard and battery

ckj

Jul 31, 2008
www.celiocorp.com
You can think of the Smartphone Dock more or less as the guts of a REDFLY jammed into a box the size of a pack of cards. It has no battery (just a power supply), Bluetooth support, 3 USB ports and a VGA out port. You plug in any monitor/keyboard/mouse you want, and it becomes a fixed workstation for your home or office when you are there. So the idea is that when on the road, you can connect to a REDFLY for portability, and/or use the Smartphone Dock when home or in the office using any old monitor, a mouse and a full-size USB keyboard.

Last edited:

ckj

Jul 31, 2008
www.celiocorp.com
As far as the PC Software goes. It runs in a window within your Windows XP or Vista desktop/environment just like any other app. You can switch back and forth from the REDFLY PC Software and other running Windows apps just like always (no need to reboot or anything to switch).

For now, you can NOT copy and paste from WM to Windows XP or Vista, but that's one of the things on the list to offer in a post 1.0 version of the software.

A 30-day free trial will be offered so you can try it out.

Here's a screenshot of Outlook running on a phone (at the 800x480 setting).
http://celiocorp.com/uploads/REDFLY_PC_Software1.jpg

I'll try to post some other screenshots later showing other resolutions etc.

cplush#WP

Dec 26, 2008
Visit site
just out of curiosity, will these new products somehow make writing text messages faster? they are almost painfully slow on my redfly....a real let down

Ebag333

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
just out of curiosity, will these new products somehow make writing text messages faster? they are almost painfully slow on my redfly....a real let down

That's going to be more then phone than the Redfly.

Text messaging on my 800w is just fine. My wife's 700wx has a noticeable lag, but I wouldn't call it "painfully slow".

mknollman

Dec 22, 2008
Visit site
I have to say that the software solution seems nice, but it is basically mymobiler with resolution scaling. I am not trying tobe a naysayer, but this will haveto have some unexpected fuctionality and be really cheap to compete with the free mymobiler (which I use often). I do love my Redfly and to have software with the same interface and keyboard shortcuts will be nice, but with such a similar freeware offering it will be a tough sell. I will definitely try the 30 day trial and see how it compares.

Aware

Mar 23, 2008
Visit site
You can think of the Smartphone Dock more or less as the guts of a REDFLY jammed into a box the size of a pack of cards. It has no battery (just a power supply), Bluetooth support, 3 USB ports and a VGA out port. You plug in any monitor/keyboard/mouse you want, and it becomes a fixed workstation for your home or office when you are there. So the idea is that when on the road, you can connect to a REDFLY for portability, and/or use the Smartphone Dock when home or in the office using any old monitor, a mouse and a full-size USB keyboard.

OK so when I picture this as the basis for a PC-free, Laptop-free home office, then I think I like it. I can see a lot of people happy to use this, especially as our phones become more and more powerful. Nice idea!!

[P.S. Colin please check your PMs :) ]

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon