Remote Access Viability

starky

Jan 21, 2009
Visit site
Its already clear to me that the Redfly offers the ability to give more real estate for Remote Desktop to PC direct or via Web, LogMeIn and others.
In reality how are Redfly users finding this?; not specifically the performance of the Redfly but the Smartphone itself. The Redfly real estate does make RDC a viable and usable option. I would be very interested to hear how members are using Remote here on this forum and the sort of Remote apps theyre using as there are several options. Look forward to any useful feedbacks.
Thanks

dc_in_sf

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
It is usable. I have a virual machine sitting on my DSL line that I RDP into if I need to use a real browser when PIE won't cut it (if Opera could be made to work with the Redfly this need would diminish). Having a fast CPU does make a difference, my tilt would occasionally have problems keeping up with the screen redraws which would lead to usability problems, my diamond does better. WiFi seems to work better than 3G as well, my suspicion here is that wifi uses less cpu than 3G and hence helps avoid the screen redraw tharshing. You will want to avoid certain websites - the background picture on live.com renders really slowly in a terminal server session the first time it loads which can be annoying.

tropicaffair

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I am also using Opera 8.65 on my Samsung i760 and it works just fine with the Redfly. One hitch, I installed logmein earlier this week and could not actually get to my remote desktop while in Opera. I tried using PIE and logmein worked fine. My plans for usage basically are to retrieve Word & Excel files while on the road (those I forget to sync with my phone) and to run some proprietary estimating software from my laptop.

mknollman

Dec 22, 2008
Visit site
I use logmein to troubleshoot friend and family PC issue and have done so from the Redfly atleast 5 times now. I use it regularily to interface with my Media Center PC / Home server to schedule recording, use full browser, add new torrents for DL, and anything else I can't do from a mobile browser. Logmein has a great ability to resize your desktop, so I set it to match the Redfly (fairly closely) and it loads and refreshes well. I agree also that this is very ram / processor dependent as my Touch Pro does it better than my Mogul did.

ckj

Jul 31, 2008
www.celiocorp.com
Opera 9.5 doesn't work on the REDFLY yet, but we're close to getting it supported. For now, Opera 8.6 is the best way to go. Neither of those two browsers have anything to do with Remote Access as they run native on the phone.

One cool thing about RDP is that you can run the full Windows version of IE7, Firefox, or whatever full screen on the REDFLY when you need full-blown, standards-based browsing. As dc_in_sf said, it works pretty well. WiFi is usually faster. The only time I see big slow downs is if you are accessing sites with a lot of video or animation content. It works, but is slower since RDP has to refresh the screen so often.

RDP works a lot better than LogMeIn or GoToMyPC in my opinion. It's faster plus easier to get things into full screen mode to maximize the screen real estate. You can see RDP and Citrix in the video we shot last fall...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht4a8jCgg4M

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa