large screen applications

starky

Jan 21, 2009
Visit site
without remote login to a virtual machine i think you may find Windows Mobile doesnt offer a good selection of Applications that leverage such a Larger Display capability as that wasnt the goal when these Apps were developed.
Its clear that mail, browser and excel do scale nicely for this. If you disagree please advise as this will be good to know as we consider taking the redfly plunge here.

cplush#WP

Dec 26, 2008
Visit site
almost *every* (i have heard of one or two odd ball ones that just show as a 320x240 rectangle in the middle of the screen...) app will render on the large screen. i have about 15-20 apps on my phone and every one will work well on the redfly. all of the office suite works as well.

Aware

Mar 23, 2008
Visit site
I agree - most, but not quite all, applicaitons will run full screen and reflow and/or scaleto fit RedFly's 800x480 screen. This is down to how the developer built the application. He has two choices - fixed resolution, or fluid. Fluid will automatically scale and/or reflow to fit the screen, and given the wide range of screen resolutions and the choice of portrait or landscape orientation, most developers have been in the habit of building their apps to scale/reflow for several years.

Bill R

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
While most will scale to the screen, my beef is that they don't reconfigure to make better use of the screen. An example would be pocket mail. As designed, it's great for a phones smaller screen. But when scaled up for the Redfly, there is a lot of unused white space. It would be much better use if the app itself would show both folders and messages on the same screen when docked to the Redfly.

Bear in mind, none of that is the Redfly's fault. It's doing what it is designed to do. It's the fault of the app writers who do not take into consideration that a "pocket pc" type app might be used on a larger screen.

Aware

Mar 23, 2008
Visit site
Yes I agree. I think we have another thread here that discusses the same. My final comment was that if we want to see reconfiguration, we may have to start campaigning developers of the most popular software. I also mentioned that some more devices are appearing hat have native resolutions as high as 800x480, we might start to see some software begin to make more innovative use of th screen real estate.

mknollman

Dec 22, 2008
Visit site
I agree, I see this issue as quickly solving itself. And really, it is not that big of an issue in the first place. The only issue is that apps are written not just considering resolution but also the physical size, normally not to exceed 3-3.5". I would say over 9 out of 10 resize flawlessy and the ones that don't tend to be archaic (but still useful apps). I agree that the ability to do "windows" side by side would be nice, but on 8 inches, 1 window suffices. I just use alt-tab and jump back and forth.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12