I somewhat hate Pocket Excel

starky

Jan 21, 2009
Visit site
Cannot even have drop down choice boxes in Pocket Excel like its PC big brother. We are not allowed to add extra software on the Smartphone for client reasons. What options are there to allow the ability to go in to a Pocket excel cell and bring up a drop down?. I wonder if there's an option to hot key something on the RF? or even some keystroke type software that runs in background which isnt then thought of as an application loaded to smartphone?.

BengtBeier

Nov 23, 2008
Visit site
I don't believe there is an option to add drop down menus to Pocket Excel because that'd make it necessary to somehow rewrite Pocket Excel or at least to write a plug-in.

But let me ask what exactly do you wish to use this for? If you can somehow convince your costumers to install software on their phones, you might want to have a look at SoftMaker Office (which is easily the best Office packet for phones).
Otherwise, if your costumers often have to enter the same strings into cells in Excel, you might want to have a look at MagiKB Lite. This allows you to add keystrokes to the keyboard. For example, I myself used it to change the keyboard layout on the Redfly from English to German. But the important thing is that you can set it so it will input several words if a key is pressed for two seconds for example. So you could make it so that the users only have to press one key to enter text into Excel cells.

wodin

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I don't believe there is an option to add drop down menus to Pocket Excel because that'd make it necessary to somehow rewrite Pocket Excel or at least to write a plug-in.

But let me ask what exactly do you wish to use this for? If you can somehow convince your costumers to install software on their phones, you might want to have a look at SoftMaker Office (which is easily the best Office packet for phones).
Otherwise, if your costumers often have to enter the same strings into cells in Excel, you might want to have a look at MagiKB Lite. This allows you to add keystrokes to the keyboard. For example, I myself used it to change the keyboard layout on the Redfly from English to German. But the important thing is that you can set it so it will input several words if a key is pressed for two seconds for example. So you could make it so that the users only have to press one key to enter text into Excel cells.
Kind of spendy at eighty bucks US! Does it scale properly on the 'FLY?

They have a thirty day trial, I think I'll just try it.

wodin

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Kind of spendy at eighty bucks US! Does it scale properly on the 'FLY?

They have a thirty day trial, I think I'll just try it.
So far so good. Works fine on the 'FLY with virtually no lag, and it's impressive.

I'll need to play with it for a while to decide if I want to increase the national deficit by another eight bucks though.

BengtBeier

Nov 23, 2008
Visit site
As I pointed out above, you might want to try SoftMaker Office as well. Costs about the same as SpreadCE but comes with Word, Excel and PowerPoint.

I've used it for some time on my phone with the redfly and was absolutely happy with it. Only problem I had was that my phone (T-Mobile Wing) just doesn't have enough RAM to use the advanced features (which is why I returned to Office Mobile).

You can download it here: http://pocketland.net/product.php?dpc=USD&prod_id=23672

wodin

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
As I pointed out above, you might want to try SoftMaker Office as well. Costs about the same as SpreadCE but comes with Word, Excel and PowerPoint.

I've used it for some time on my phone with the redfly and was absolutely happy with it. Only problem I had was that my phone (T-Mobile Wing) just doesn't have enough RAM to use the advanced features (which is why I returned to Office Mobile).

You can download it here: http://pocketland.net/product.php?dpc=USD&prod_id=23672
I forgot to name the app in the previous posts. It's SoftMaker Office that I'm demoing, and my touch seems to have enough memory to run it. I had one small issue on the install. The default folder it wanted to load itself into was "BlueTooth" and of course that didn't work. Once I figured out that I needed to force it to the memory card, it's been working well.

It scales to the 'FLY just fine, and is quite full featured, albeit, as I said before; somewhat pricey. It's at or above the high end of the scale of of what I'm willing to pay for WinMo apps. Since it really is three apps plus a printer driver, it might be it might be worth it.

Aware

Mar 23, 2008
Visit site
If it brings something closer to a full Office suite to the Redfly (OK to the phone ;-) then I think $80 is acceptable. For me at least.

donc36

Oct 14, 2008
Visit site
If it brings something closer to a full Office suite to the Redfly (OK to the phone ;-) then I think $80 is acceptable. For me at least.

I've been using it for a few years now - absolutely worth the investment if you need a more full featured suite.

Boo Radley

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I don't see how you can only "somewhat" hate PE. I personally hate all the MOM programs. I've tried out Softmaker and Docs to Go, both with equal success. Docs to go is more user friendly, however Softmaker has way more features while showing less lag on the RF. Really either one is a great alternative to Office Mobile.

wodin

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I don't see how you can only "somewhat" hate PE. I personally hate all the MOM programs. I've tried out Softmaker and Docs to Go, both with equal success. Docs to go is more user friendly, however Softmaker has way more features while showing less lag on the RF. Really either one is a great alternative to Office Mobile.

Hum, I've read in this forum that DocsToGo lags to the point of being unusable on th 'FLY.

I haven't tried it, so I don't know for sure. But that's why I haven't tried it.

Maybe it has to do with how much b@!!s your phone has got.

cplush#WP

Dec 26, 2008
Visit site
its does depend....i have a veizon q9c and it cant handle docs to go on the Redfly, it can hardly handle it on the phone really. i ended up buying the MOM since it is much less resource heavy than docs to go and have no problem with it on the redlfy. typically the bigger/faster phones can run docs to go on the redfly, but u need like a 450-500 mhz processor and lots of RAM, MOM will work on just about any phone hooked up to a redfly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven