I'll be a new Redfly user

zad225

Jan 31, 2009
Visit site
I just bought a "new" (supposedly used only once) Redfly C8 for $165 plus $11 shipping on Ebay. It just shipped as I speak. I'm very excited.

I'd like to know to what extent this can be made into a laptop replacement. For example, will I be able to realistically edit word documents on it? That would probably be the main thing that I was hoping it could do for me. (FYI, I have Softmaker 2006 running on an ATT Tilt.)

The other things that I would be mainly using it for is checking/making appointments and browsing the web. How bad is the low memory problem from internet browsing. I get that once in a while browsing with my Tilt, but all I do is just press ok or something and then it will let me continue. Is that pretty much what I can expect from browsing with the Redfly?

I presently have an HP TX2110us tablet computer, but to tell you the truth, it's overkill, for what I would really need a laptop for. That's why I'll be selling that if my experiment with the Redfly proves worthwhile.

wodin

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I just bought a "new" (supposedly used only once) Redfly C8 for $165 plus $11 shipping on Ebay. It just shipped as I speak. I'm very excited.

I'd like to know to what extent this can be made into a laptop replacement. For example, will I be able to realistically edit word documents on it? That would probably be the main thing that I was hoping it could do for me. (FYI, I have Softmaker 2006 running on an ATT Tilt.)

The other things that I would be mainly using it for is checking/making appointments and browsing the web. How bad is the low memory problem from internet browsing. I get that once in a while browsing with my Tilt, but all I do is just press ok or something and then it will let me continue. Is that pretty much what I can expect from browsing with the Redfly?

I presently have an HP TX2110us tablet computer, but to tell you the truth, it's overkill, for what I would really need a laptop for. That's why I'll be selling that if my experiment with the Redfly proves worthwhile.

Welcome aboard, While the 'FLY cannot replace a full blown laptop computer, it has some signifcant advantages.

1. Instant on, don't laugh, this is much more important than it seems!

2. TCO is as low as it gets.

3. The size is nearly perfect. Big enough to be able to read the screen even with my ancient eyeballs, yet small enough to be easily carried around.

4. Performance is dependant entirely on the phone, need a faster platform, get a faster phone.

5. Bootleg tethering or extra charge for tethering eliminated. If you have broadband on your phone you have it on the 'FLY.

6. Phenomenal battery life, and ability to keep the phone charged.

7. Provides USB ports for the phone.

8. You can actually do a PowerPoint presentation without having to bring a laptop.

I'm currently demoing SoftMaker Office 2008. It scales to the 'FLY perfectly.

There are some drawbacks. If it's got moving video it's prolly not going to work too well.

There is a performance hit in the extra processing power needed to push out all that video. This usually is not an issue but sometimes it can get unacceptable. I've heard that DocsToGo becomes nearly unusable with less powerful phones.

Application are limited to what's available for WinMO, you?re not going to be running PhotoShop, but there are some limited graphics packages around.

There seems to be a limit on what phones can work. This seems to be based on limited programming resources at Celio. They're trying to get drivers out as fast as they can, but it's hard to keep up with angry customers and ever changing availability of new phone models. Case in point, I've postponed my upgrade from an HTC Touch to a Touch Pro based on the reports I've been seeing in this forum.

cplush#WP

Dec 26, 2008
Visit site
smartphones are designed to be used with a 2x3 or whatever screen, so when u scale your internet up to an 8 inch screen is does use alot more memory. i have a q9c and can surf the web without memory issues (in spite ofthe low RAM on my phone), but if u r having memory problems now it *could* get worse. as always, it depends on the phone. editing documents is a breeze on the redfly, pretty much like using a laptop. in regards to docs to go lagging, i actually had to buy office mobile to replace docs to go because of the lag. overall, it is awesome. i have found that trying to multitask on the redfly will give the phone some RAM issues, but as the phones increase in power in the future this wont be an issue. i use mine in college to take class notes, reply to email, work on papers/ppts/homework/research and light internet browsing and for this it is great. heavy internet usage will slow down my phone, but as i said before performance depends on the phone. what i do is have a desktop PC and use my redfly/phone for when i travel or am away from my room. it cant quite totally replace a computer for my needs, but it does replace the need for me to lug my laptop everywhere.

-battery life is AMAZING on it...im getting close to 10-12 hrs a charge, i keep my screen turned way down and never charge my phone off it and the thing just keeps chugging

zad225

Jan 31, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I'm not laughing about Instant On at all. That's actually probably the most important reason why I decided to get one. I hated waiting minutes for my laptop to boot into Windows, and once into Windows, you still had to wait a few more minutes just to finally get started.

Also, as cplush mentioned, the battery life and also the heat issue of laptops. That's what I constantly had to deal with with my laptop.

I may still need a regular laptop as well as a dual core desktop computer, because I do do some video editing occasionally as well, but hopefully, on a daily basis, it will be just the redfly and my phone that I'll need to take with me.

Aware

Mar 23, 2008
Visit site
I've still not been able to get a good Word etc experience, but I'm using a non-touchscreen device (BlackJack). But whenever I have limitations with the RedFly I can VPN to my laptop/desktop at home and do what I need to that way.

cplush#WP

Dec 26, 2008
Visit site
@ aware...i had to buy office mobile to get Word so it didnt lag 15 sweconds behind my key stroke. what do you use to VPN on a non touchscreen?
@zad225-i dont think the redfly will ever truly be able to replace a dual core desktop machine or the programs you can run on one, at least not for awhile. my next computer will likely be a supped up desktop but my traveling/on the go solution is the redfly.

zad225

Jan 31, 2009
Visit site
Even my laptop can't replace my dual core desktop. I just want to get more portable. Give and take. I'll take the portability and hope for more productivity that way.

cplush#WP

Dec 26, 2008
Visit site
and that is where the redfly shines. it wont take over your desktop, and the new redfly dock wont either i think until smartphone power increases, but if a hotel has a bunch of redfly docks or if you use your smartphone as aportel to a virtual machine than the dock is a good idea.

Aware

Mar 23, 2008
Visit site
There's an RDP hack posted on WMExperts forums (and linked to on this forum somewhere) that works well with non-touchscreen WM 6.1.

Yes, of course it doesn't replace the desktop experience - actually my new official 'work' desktop is crap compared to my Cor22Duo laptop... and I'm not planning to do any development work (Flex/Flash/Dreamweaver etc) work with the RedFly any time soon, but it's nice to know that, in an *emergency* I could get some real work done while on the road. but there is a realistic expectation that in a short while (3 years? 5 years?) our phones will have the capability to replace the desktop for 'home' use where advanced development tools are never used. In aother 5 years I won't be surprised to see the desktop disappearing.

I have Office Mobile on my BlackJack ... it is OK - I can use it to write Word docs, view PowerPoint etc but it is so limited compared to the desktop version that it's only good for notes.

Hmm - remembering I still want to test RedFly with projector and powerpoint :)

zad225

Jan 31, 2009
Visit site
I'm so excited, my Redfly is supposed to be coming tomorrow. Can anyone tell me if I got a pretty good deal for my C8? That is $165 plus $10 shipping?

c1oudrs

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
I would add that the main advantage for me is wireless freedom. Yes, as mentioned above, the battery life is phenomenal. But its more than that. Bluetooth is done right too. Ok. I'm in bed. My phone is plugged in 3 feet away (charging). My Redfly is on the bed. I turn on music--the speaker is connected to the phone--from 3 ft away comes on. Its almost like having bluetooth speakers. Or . . . I leave my phone in my cargo pocket and have access to my phone via the redfly without taking my phone out of my pocket. Or . . . Right now I have my phone in my coat pocket (my coat is hanging up and I have a cord going to my phone but my redfly is here on the desk and I'm typing away (Better than a really long usb power cord). I used to have 2 monster usb cables. With the redfly I cut back to one and I only use half of it because I don't have to reach as far as I used to have to reach. You can go to the beach and be out all day with the redfly. Softmaker is expensive but it works very well with Windows Mobile. Also the newest version of ubook works well for reading rtf/text books (Baen has a free scifi library)--the redfly does very well there. And the paid version of opera 8.65 does a credible job of surfing.

c1oudrs

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
One thing that I really like about softmaker and ubook is that both of them will reside totally on an sd/microsd card. So I link these programs on my today screen using ilauncher, save my ilauncher preferences. Then if I flash a rom, wipe my phone system, as long as the micro/mini/sd card is up, I load up my ilauncher preferences and all my 'reside in the sd card' links come up in one fell swoop.

zad225

Jan 31, 2009
Visit site
Ok, I got my redfly. I connected ok with usb. There is a lag just trying to get around on the phone. I tried connecting through bluetooth, but it keeps saying that device needs to be enabled to authorize. Any suggestions?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa