What OS Do You Run on Your PC?

mknollman

Dec 22, 2008
Visit site
Voted Windows, I am in a combination of XP Media Center, Vista Premium, and Windows 7 beta - god help me, I have a problem. I will most likely migrate to 7 when it is out, but I will still be using XP MCE as it is set up with my TV on my media center and I don't feel like doing all that again.

mknollman

Dec 22, 2008
Visit site
Is this a straw poll for the software solution or just curiosity - I think you will find few winmo users that use Mac OS and maybe a few more that use linux. But I guess there must be a few out there.

kraski

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
REDFLY users,
When not using your REDFLY and WM smartphone, what computer platform are you using at home or work?

XP on most machines I use, linux & XP at home, & part of one of the networks I use is still running Win 2000.

Tiredone

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
Windows 2000 Server
Windows 2003 Server
Windows 2008 Server
Windows XP
Windows XP64
Windows 7 beta - slightly disappointing stability, good speed.

ckj

Jul 31, 2008
www.celiocorp.com
Is this a straw poll for the software solution or just curiosity - I think you will find few winmo users that use Mac OS and maybe a few more that use linux. But I guess there must be a few out there.

Yeah, the poll is a bit of both - curiosity and trying to gauge any demand for a Mac or Linux version of our software. We'll launch the software for Windows XP and Vista first. A Mac or Linux version would likely come much later (other priorities first) but we'd do it if there's enough of a user base.

BTW, the software (or emulator as it's sometimes been referenced) has an official name - REDFLY Mobile Viewer. We're shooting to get it released in the next 3 or 4 weeks. A 30-day fully functional trial download will be available. First marketing image below...
LaptopWphone500pix.png

mknollman

Dec 22, 2008
Visit site
CKJ, what type of functionality are you offering to set this product apart from the already existing and free solutions like mymobiler?

I am interested and will definitely hit up your trial, but I hope that you have some slick UI options or a rock-bottom price. Can you give us a link or a list of the features?

My Dad is very interested in this for his Asus eeePC running xp. I just need a reason to get him off of the free version that he is on now.

mknollman

Dec 22, 2008
Visit site
PS - have you considered a wifi connection profile for this bad boy as a lot of laptops still do not have on board BT?

VERY cool marketing pic by the way. How about you tap the forum for beta testers? I would bet you would secure a couple of dozen purchases down the road this way.

ckj

Jul 31, 2008
www.celiocorp.com
I can't release all of the specs/functionality yet but I can say a few things...

1) We have considered Wi-Fi. It won't be a feature in v1.0 but I'm really hoping it makes it into a future version.

2) The one big, big, big difference between us and any other software (mymobiler, soti, etc.) is the patented REDFLY screen resolution change. If you've used the REDFLY hardware (as most of the people reading this forum have) then you know what I mean. We also install a software driver on the phone itself. That driver enables two video drivers to run side by side (ours and the built-in driver). We can switch on-the-fly (without the need for a soft reset) between the phone's native screen resolution and any of the 4 following - 800x480, 800x600, 1024x600 or 1024x768. With other software solutions that run on a Windows box, you can use your PC's mouse, keyboard and see your phone's screen - but only at native res (320x320 like in that shot of the Treo Pro for instance). In the photo above, compare the Treo Pro's screen showing the spreadsheet at 320x320 and the window on the laptop's desktop showing the same spreadsheet at 800x600. You get many more cells on the screen at the same time. A lot of netbooks and laptops are giving you a 1024x600 screen anyway, so if you're using REDFLY Mobile Viewer (RMV) set to 1024x600 you can essentially work full screen on your laptop - but on your phone. We're not just taking the phone's screen and blowing it up (everything gets proportionately bigger) - we're giving you more screen "real estate" for spreadsheets, web browsing, email, or any app on your phone. No one else can offer that feature.

3) No public beta as of now. Not sure if there will be. We are testing with various partners etc.

4) Retail price should be around $40 when it ships. [update]: I forgot to mention, existing REDFLY hardware customers will get a great discount on the RMV software (like under $20).

I'm very curious to see if you guys think this is valuable or not both now without using it and again after you install the 30-day trial.

The idea behind the software is to give people more choice in how they use their phones. If you want instant boot, long battery life, high security, no data loss worry and no PC imaging/managing hassles, then the REDFLY Mobile Companion hardware is for you. If you already have a netbook/laptop/desktop, don't mind waiting 5 min for it to boot into Windows, don't mind doing all of your own maintenance/virus/malware protection etc., then the RMV software still gives you a great way to text message, use your phone's email, browser etc. with a lot more screen real estate.

Last edited:

drowe

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Colin,
That sounds like a great set of specs! I'd grumble at $40, but pay it and I'll be first in line for $20. Currently using mymobiler and the lag time is annoying along with the iffy copy/paste. Looking forward to the release!

David

mknollman

Dec 22, 2008
Visit site
$40 will be a hard sell, I agree. I am definitely interested in this product and I still see the niche , but in my mind it is an even smaller niche than the Redfly itself. Hopefully, small is okay as far a a demographic goes. Lots of companies bank on a small but enthusiastic group of customers. I think that Celio fits there right now. I have to say though, that in my circle word of mouth has worked. I now know 3 people that have Redflies besides myself both in and out of my family. It will be the extra features that put this program on the go or no go list for me. It needs to incorporate easy drag drop file transfer and seamless cut-paste from phone to PC to put a dent in the competition. The resolution increase will help, but it's gonna take more. Knock our socks off Celio.

BengtBeier

Nov 23, 2008
Visit site
I have to say I'm not yet sure about this as well... If you already own a redfly and use mymobiler, you pretty much get the same effect.

I my oppinion, the only way this can make a lot of sense is if it actually allows you to tighly integrate the phone into your pc and make the phone apps work as if they were local applications. This would for example mean that the applications on the phone should be able to open and save files on the pc, accept drag and drop and copy/paste in both directions and allow to create shortcuts to applications on the phone on your pc's desktop, stuff like that.

Aware

Mar 23, 2008
Visit site
I was presenting at a conference this week, and needed to show my phone on the presentation screen. I used my RedFly since it has a perfectly usable monitor out feature. Worked very well.

However, the phone side of the demo was a little slow (it involves some installation/configuration) and it would have been better if I could have displayed the phone through my laptop connection. This would have allowed me to switch back and forth between phone and other presentation materials instead of either/or. So I like the sound of this, as I would definitely use it in presentations.

Also, if I can get the Mobile Viewer installed on my work machine (IT is a PIA!!!) then I could easily monitor my personal email, calendar, twitter etc and do a little personal surfing without upsetting my boss and doig anything dodgy through the work firewall ;-)

mholmes7

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
I voted Mac OSX because that's what I run on my personal machines and prefer.

However, my office machine is XP and I already run XP Home on my iMac (using VMware Fusion) and Win 2000 on my Powerbook (using Virtual PC 6) for specialty software not available for the Mac. So, I would still be interested -- though a Mac version would of course be even better. ;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6