Windows Mobile, BlackBerry or Android

anon159272

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site

They've had notes about BB and Android on the web site for awhile, so assuming there's no "TV Magic" going on in that clip, they must have a reasonably functional beta at this point, though all they showed was one spreadsheet on the BB being pulled up and there did not appear to be any menu items (just the spreadsheet graphics). I don't use a BB so I'm not sure if that's just how it works.

One thing I notice is that in the clip, things load on the Redfly about 10 times faster than they do on mine. I'm on a Sprint Touch Pro, and the performance (even USB) is so slow it's almost painful at times. If the Experia is that much faster, maybe I should switch. :) (edit: this is after a fresh hard reset)

Thanks for posting, that's a good find.

ckj

Jul 31, 2008
www.celiocorp.com
Yeah, the Sony Xperia is wicked fast. If you're a WM guy and have the cash, you'll love it on REDFLY.

That Designing Spaces tv show aired a bit sooner than we thought. The BlackBerry/Android drivers you saw in use there are still not released yet, but they are real and we're getting closer to releasing them.

The scene at the end in the Kitchen shows the daughter in the midst of sending/receiving text messages in real time on a G1 (well, technically it's a Google Dev1 unlocked phone) that's sitting on the counter connected to her REDFLY over Bluetooth - but it's kind of hard to tell from the video angle what's going on.

Although both Android and BlackBerry are pretty far along in the development cycle, you'll most likely see BlackBerry get released first.

We'll have some announcements around this likely in the next 30-60 days.

graham.hughes

Nov 5, 2008
Visit site
Is there any specific reason why you're not targetting Symbian? It's still the biggest smart-phone platform, and Microsoft's announcement of a forthcoming Office for Symbian makes it more interesting for business users.

I've never been a fan of Series 60, but Nokia recently let me have a 5800 (touchscreen S60), and it's actually quite nice. With some "office" apps and a Redfly, I might even consider using it! :)

Graham.

anon159272

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
It might be because they are targeting the U.S. market; Symbian is practically unheard-of around here. There may be technical considerations too; an article I read indicated that the actual user interface layer of a Symbian phone is distinct from the core "OS" layer (this may be old information, if it is correct at all). It might be that trying to develop a consistent driver for such a moving target would produce diminishing returns.

Just random "Friday morning coffee" thoughts.

graham.hughes

Nov 5, 2008
Visit site
In the rest of the world, Nokia ships ten times more devices than HTC.

Symbian: yes, it comes in two flavours. Same core OS, but different UIs - Series 60 and UIQ. UIQ mainly exists on some Sony Ericsson devices, and a couple of Motorolas. All Nokias use Series 60 (it being Nokia's platform). Sony Ericsson, Samsung, LG and Panasonic also have Series 60 devices. Sony Ericsson appear to be moving away from UIQ.

There are certainly remote-viewer apps, so it's not beyond the realms of practicality. Maybe it doesn't handle changes in screen size...?

redbird

Sep 18, 2008
Visit site
I have been using a Treo Pro on my redfly and just recently had a chance to try out a Blackberry Curve. I was shocked at how much faster the browser was on the BB.

That brings me to believe it would be a better phone to use with the redfly. Any update on when there will be a way to make the BB work on the Redfly?

ckj

Jul 31, 2008
www.celiocorp.com
We can talk about BlackBerry a bit more starting today. We still haven't announced a release date (other than mid-Q4), but I'm guessing somewhere in mid to late Oct if not sooner - but there are a lot of factors involved so that's just a guess.

Here's the first video if you want to see it in action.

Also a first press release.

redbird, we'll only support the Curve 8900, Bold 9000 and Tour 9630 on launch. There are a lot of pros and cons of BlackBerry vs. WM so in addition to the browser you need to consider other things. I'm going to shoot a newer video next week showing the latest update to the driver which is faster (less lag time) than what you see in this video. I'll make sure to show more of the browsing experience.

redbird

Sep 18, 2008
Visit site
I have actually seen the video at Crackberry.com. I noticed the lag but it is very bad using my Treo Pro. With the new Opera browser perhaps it will even be a better match on the BB

Thanks for the reply and update

sixftunda

Jul 29, 2007
Visit site
Well for me personally, this is now a huge disappointment. The original Redfly will not be compatible with BB. I gots me a big ole brick!

anon159272

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
Well for me personally, this is now a huge disappointment. The original Redfly will not be compatible with BB. I gots me a big ole brick!

I wouldn't assume that just because only the C8N and C7 are mentioned, that the C8 is specifically excluded. I believe it was excluded from mention simply because it is not being sold anymore. Would wait to hear from Celio specifically on whether C8 users will enjoy BB compatibility.

BengtBeier

Nov 23, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't assume that just because only the C8N and C7 are mentioned, that the C8 is specifically excluded. I believe it was excluded from mention simply because it is not being sold anymore. Would wait to hear from Celio specifically on whether C8 users will enjoy BB compatibility.

Sorry to say that but I definitely read somewhere that the C8 will NOT be supported - which by the way I find pretty disappointing, considering that one of the major selling points for the Redfly was that you could expect it to cover more and more phones over time and not be bound to one modell or OS.

I feel this is a move that Celio should really rethink because it's bound to drive away loyal costumers. More so, because I can't see any reasonable technical obstacle why the C8 would be incompatible with Blackberry if the C8N isn't.

anon159272

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
Sorry to say that but I definitely read somewhere that the C8 will NOT be supported - which by the way I find pretty disappointing, considering that one of the major selling points for the Redfly was that you could expect it to cover more and more phones over time and not be bound to one modell or OS.

I feel this is a move that Celio should really rethink because it's bound to drive away loyal costumers. More so, because I can't see any reasonable technical obstacle why the C8 would be incompatible with Blackberry if the C8N isn't.

If that's true then I completely agree with you. I've watched the videos and read all the articles, and while I'll admit my reading comprehension is the worst of the worst, I didn't happen to see anything specific about C8 not being supported going forward. That doesn't mean it wasn't there, just that I didn't notice it. I assumed the post I replied to was referring to the fact that only currently-selling Redfly products were mentioned in the literature.

Please post a link to where you saw the information about the C8 not being supported.

Rumors abound these days in forums like this, unfortunately.

BengtBeier

Nov 23, 2008
Visit site
If that's true then I completely agree with you. I've watched the videos and read all the articles, and while I'll admit my reading comprehension is the worst of the worst, I didn't happen to see anything specific about C8 not being supported going forward. That doesn't mean it wasn't there, just that I didn't notice it. I assumed the post I replied to was referring to the fact that only currently-selling Redfly products were mentioned in the literature.

Please post a link to where you saw the information about the C8 not being supported.

Rumors abound these days in forums like this, unfortunately.

The FAQ on Celio's blog (http://blog.celiocorp.com/2009/09/17/blackberry-on-redfly/) states this:

"Q: Can I use the REDFLY I already own with a BlackBerry?
A: [...] The two currently available REDFLY models (the C7 and C8N) will be compatible with BlackBerry devices. [...] The original REDFLY Mobile Companion model C8 sold until November 2008 will not support a BlackBerry connection."

jwebb56

May 19, 2007
Visit site
Wonder what else the original C8 will not support in the future. I sure hope it can support a WM6.5 phone as that is what I will be running soon (EPIX upgrade has been promised).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss