10-01-2012 05:43 AM
29 12
tools

Beta 2 is coming this Wednesday/Thursday 1st/2nd August

A little about Pianist before I start:

Pianist is a music studio for Windows Phone. It has a piano, guitar, beat sequencer and multitrack audio system with the ability to create ringtones and save your work.

There are two versions, a free ad supported version, and a paid for (99c/79p) version without ads.

You can get the current version here:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-GB/ap...2-78e7d1fa76f8

However, the time is nearing for me to begin a preliminary beta testing phase for Pianist Music Studio 4.

Pianist has been in the market for over a year and has grown from a simple low latency piano app into something much more. While I like where the current version is, it is not powerful enough, or simple enough, to move forward. In comes Pianist 4.

While I am still in a relatively early stage of development, its got to a point where I need to test the audio engine out on devices other than my own. Thats where you all come in :)

The current version of Pianist uses samples to play the music. While this is good quality, it has no sustain, its space heavy and limited on what I can create and do.
    Pianist 4 however, has a synth engine and currently has around 100 or so instruments.

Pianist 4 will also improve upon the sharing aspect. I am intending on implementing skydrive and possibly youtube as a way of sharing your creations.
    It will also have, when finished, a Piano, Guitar, Metronome, Multitrack (number depending on phone generation), Drums along with sequencer for all instruments.

At this stage I am looking for any willing volunteers to help me in beta testing the next version. All beta testers that give me some feedback will get their name in the credits and a free copy of the full version for life.

Please reply to this thread if you wish to participate and I can pm you.
    Thanks

Mike @ Common Blob
    Last edited by CommonBlob; 07-31-2012 at 09:03 AM.
    D.Zigns likes this.
    05-17-2012 01:18 PM
    Id like to participate in this beta :) seems like it has potential
    05-17-2012 01:25 PM
    Happy user here, would love to test for you.
    05-18-2012 12:29 PM
    Count me in!
    05-18-2012 02:15 PM
    Yeah man hit me up! I'm no musician but I'd be glad to test it for you.
    05-18-2012 05:22 PM
    Thanks to everyone who has PM'd me or replyed. Even more would be better, but its a great start so far. The more who help, the better Im sure the app will be :)
    05-20-2012 03:44 PM
    Click to view quoted image

A little about Pianist before I start:

Pianist is a music studio for Windows Phone. It has a piano, guitar, beat sequencer and multitrack audio system with the ability to create ringtones and save your work.

There are two versions, a free ad supported version, and a paid for (99c/79p) version without ads.

You can get the current version here:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-GB/ap...2-78e7d1fa76f8

However, the time is nearing for me to begin a preliminary beta testing phase for Pianist Music Studio 4.

Pianist has been in the market for over a year and has grown from a simple low latency piano app into something much more. While I like where the current version is, it is not powerful enough, or simple enough, to move forward. In comes Pianist 4.

While I am still in a relatively early stage of development, its got to a point where I need to test the audio engine out on devices other than my own. Thats where you all come in :)

The current version of Pianist uses samples to play the music. While this is good quality, it has no sustain, its space heavy and limited on what I can create and do.
    Pianist 4 however, has a synth engine and currently has around 100 or so instruments.

Pianist 4 will also improve upon the sharing aspect. I am intending on implementing skydrive and possibly youtube as a way of sharing your creations.
    It will also have, when finished, a Piano, Guitar, Metronome, Multitrack (number depending on phone generation), Drums along with sequencer for all instruments.

At this stage I am looking for any willing volunteers to help me in beta testing the next version. All beta testers that give me some feedback will get their name in the credits and a free copy of the full version for life.

Please reply to this thread if you wish to participate and I can pm you.
    Thanks

Mike @ Common Blob
    I would like to participate in this beta.
    05-21-2012 08:54 PM
    Yes please
    05-25-2012 10:55 AM
    Still plenty of places left. I will be starting the beta in about a week. I was intending to start it this week but as I am away this weekend I wanted to be sure im around. It will also mean that there will be more features for the initial beta.
    05-29-2012 03:53 PM
    thank you download and test
    06-08-2012 03:38 AM
    Release the beta my man!
    06-08-2012 08:25 AM
    Sorry for the delay on the beta everyone. I was hoping I would be ready this week but some issues arose causing some random crashes and it set me back. I hope to get something this weekend together to submit to you all.

I will also get an email out explaining the aim of this first beta.

Thanks for your patience, now back to work! :D
    06-08-2012 03:13 PM
    I'm interested in testing your app. I've played around with Apple's garageband for iPad so I know what to expect from a music creation tool :)
    06-08-2012 11:53 PM
    I'm interested in testing your app. I've played around with Apple's garageband for iPad so I know what to expect from a music creation tool :)
    I'll be honest im nowhere near the quality of garageband yet :)
    Also the lack of multicore is a problem with low latency audio playback so there is still work to do.

This beta will focus on the audio engine, then there will be another beta later that will include everything.

I'll pm you to get your details.
    06-09-2012 03:20 AM
    Sorry the beta hasn't arrived yet, ive been working on it this weekend and Im almost there. I am just trying to get the multitrack section fully working. And I will let you guys have it.

I'll be sending an email to you all tomorrow explaining the beta.

Thanks for your patience
    06-10-2012 12:34 PM
    Count me in!!!
    06-10-2012 12:37 PM
    Quick update if anyone is reading the thread...

Thanks to those who gave me feedback, 1 in particular. I appreciate the beta was a little rough around the edges, but I hope to make that a bit better with beta 2.

I am hoping to get that ready in the next week or 2. I want to get it almost feature complete so I can then polish and fix the bugs.

New things ive done since the released beta:

* Guitar is in
    * Sequencer is in
    * Implemented back button stuff everywhere
    * Skydrive integration
    * New graphics
    * Update menu
    * Tweaked latency on Piano (still not low enough for pros, but its going the right way)
    * Saving and loading
    * Improved beat instrument
    * Added instrument selections for all instruments
    * Added selectable beats in the beat creator
    * Added ability to loop beat creator
    * Plays back whilst recording
    * Lots of small things

I have a few big bugs I need to iron out and finish up a few bits before I want to release beta 2. Anyone who submitted any bug reports will get contacted, those who didn't...wont.

UPDATE: If you didn't get my mails, or you just didn't get time to test the last beta but would still like to get involved then please reply or PM me and i'll ensure I include you again.
    Last edited by CommonBlob; 07-13-2012 at 03:27 AM.
    vp710 likes this.
    07-08-2012 05:05 PM
    i never got an invite to the beta testing :( reason? or u just forgot about me? lol :/
    07-10-2012 05:35 PM
    Looking forward to it.
    07-10-2012 05:42 PM
    i never got an invite to the beta testing :( reason? or u just forgot about me? lol :/
    Sorry Markyyy. I didn't forget you, but I was using squirrelmail to send them out and it had a habbit of being dropped for spam.

I apologise! I will include you in on beta 2 (its much better anyway)
    07-13-2012 03:26 AM
    I'm definitely interested in some beta testing for this app if it's still going on!

I'm completely inept where musical instruments are concerned but I do a lot better with this sort of thing =D.
    07-17-2012 11:59 AM
    I'm definitely interested in some beta testing for this app if it's still going on!

I'm completely inept where musical instruments are concerned but I do a lot better with this sort of thing =D.
    No problem D.Zigns. I'll invite you to beta 2 when its ready. Im hoping it will be next week.
    07-18-2012 06:15 AM
    No problem D.Zigns. I'll invite you to beta 2 when its ready. Im hoping it will be next week.
    Great! Looking forward to it.
    07-19-2012 05:43 PM
    Looks like im going to have to remove SkyDrive implementation due to the terms and conditions on app backup. I intend to keep it in for ringtone creation though. Just finishing the microphone code and then some tweaks for a beta/rc next week.

This project has been a lot more work than anticipated, shame I can't do it full time.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    07-25-2012 12:46 PM
    Looks like im going to have to remove SkyDrive implementation due to the terms and conditions on app backup. I intend to keep it in for ringtone creation though.
    Is Box a viable solution?
    07-25-2012 11:47 PM
29 12