[Beta] EmiPSX - Sony PlayStation (PSone) emulator

Roman Ekaterininsky

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Games that I could test and are working:
Metal Slug - sound is not good but I've finished it already ^^.
FF7 - Just test, is working and playable - can't sai if it works until the end.
Gran turismo - last time I checked was working but a little slow.
RE2 - working so far.
Tekken 3 - CPU 100%, BIAS 1 - playable with low framerate(not noticeable) but hangs randomly.
Crash 3 - playable.
FFT - playable with great speed.
Chrono Cross - works - haven't made more test because I only have a iso.

Nice. Any thoughts about that hangs in Vagrant Story and on trying to play Vigilante 8: 2nd offence? Please make a possibility to share save states and in-game saves through SkyDrive and, maybe, HTTP like it is in wpTorrent. I think it`ll make easier to find a reason of in-game hangs like that one.

Do you still need help with translations? I can help with Russian version.

EdSherriff

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Chrono Cross - works - haven't made more test because I only have a iso.

Andre, my understanding is that .iso are generally unsuitable for PSX ROMs since they can only contain one track. PSX games often contain CD audio tracks in addition to the game data, so BIN/CUE, MDF/MDS and CCD/IMG are more suitable candidates for support since they are designed to support multiple tracks, it is also possible to convert an .iso image to these formats anyway. If it was essential to support .iso images on the phone can't you just instruct users that they must rename the file extension to something else of your choosing before loading it onto the phone?

P.S.
Nice to see some beta testers are providing good feedback and testing plenty of ROMs. I hope those requesting beta access follow Roman and Mister Gore's example, namely that betas are for testing and providing constructive feedback not to get early access to an app so you can play your favorite game.

Mister Gore

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
FF7 runs great, only problem I have encountered is the screen going glitchy when you load a save state, but opening the menu or switching to a different screen fixes it right away. I am almost at the end of disc 1 so I'll be able to give you a heads up on how everything works switching over to disc 2.

In my experience (which is admittedly limited) with Gran Turismo it runs at full speed and perfectly. Just kinda hard on touch controls.

Hoping a future update makes more games compatible, I especially wanna play Clock Tower and MGS. Also, haven't tried any Resident Evil games simply because the sites I get my ROMs from don't seem to have them, but I will try them out soon.

In other words, I have the horror game market cornered for the beta test haha.

jonathanbailie

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Sad to hear that Metal Gear doesn't play right now :(

Although, Resident Evil 2 would be a nice concession! Can't wait for this to get into the store. I'll definitely waste some time playing some old PS1 titles ;)

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk for Windows Phone 8

EdSherriff

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
In my experience (which is admittedly limited) with Gran Turismo it runs at full speed and perfectly. Just kinda hard on touch controls.

Hoping a future update makes more games compatible, I especially wanna play Clock Tower and MGS. Also, haven't tried any Resident Evil games simply because the sites I get my ROMs from don't seem to have them, but I will try them out soon.

What model handset are you using for the record? I believe Andre tests mostly with a 620. There may be a considerable speed advantage on handsets with 1.5GHz CPUs, this is another reason beta testers are important. Indie devs don't have access to a plethora of hardware to test their apps on, in the case of an app like this which is pushing the phone to its limits this presents obvious issues with testing.

Unfortunately I'm thinking a lot of the game specific problems will have to be debugged on a game by game basis. Given the complexity of this port in comparison to other emulators I'm concerned compatibility will be a real problem even after release. Given that previous emulators have essentially been direct ports of existing emulators from other platforms they can maintain good compatibility, they have set a high bar by doing so. In EmiPSX Andre has been making considerable changes to the core to get the required performance on WP8, I get the feeling a lot of people will ignore this and just assume it will work flawlessly out of the gate. Hopefully if you and the other testers can at least get the start of a compatibility list you'll spare the "public" some unpleasant surprises in terms of performance and compatibility expectations.

Andre o Botelho

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm using a 920 so that does explain the better speeds. It also allows me to test out the loading of the files without an SD card.
I own a 620 because was the cheaper($250) at the time I began developing to WP and is the lower spec hardware to develop. Anything that work on it have a high chance of work High end devices but the opposite is not true, but I don't own a High End device so any feedback will help.

Mister Gore

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
I was right up till the end of the first disc of FF7 and was having constant graphical glitches and freezing.

Not sure how much further it would have gone as I ended up flashing my phone to get the Amber/GDR2 update, which is great. Starting on FF8 now, will report back on any issues :)

Mister Gore

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, FF8 doesn't seem to recognize a memory card, which is weird since it worked flawlessly for FF7. Maybe I am overlooking a setting since I flashed my phone?

Andre o Botelho

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, FF8 doesn't seem to recognize a memory card, which is weird since it worked flawlessly for FF7. Maybe I am overlooking a setting since I flashed my phone?

FFT have the problem with memorycard too, Il'l update to 6 save slots( Next EmiGens update) and add support to original BIOS to increase compatibility.

Roman Ekaterininsky

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I've added 18 Beta Testers last week but my sent confirmation e-mail disappeared so I've added all requests and now the beta is closed.
Link to download:
EmiPSX | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

So it`s available on public market? Not on russian right now... I think it`s too early to release this version for public because of no L2/R2 support and when you selecting a settings "tab", it says it`s "EmiGens Plus Settings". Also, annoying bug is that you can`t always go to menu after playing without restarting the emulator. When you start a game, open bar and select close. Game will hang, but emulator works and won`t back to main menu as you may think. Make this again and emulator will close.

My translation is done. I sended you email with it.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone tried rayman 2 because when I download it it just goes to a black screen, I just have the bin file on skydrive so i guess it's one of the games which doesn't work right now (or could I be doing something wrong?)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss