06-12-2014 02:55 PM
27 12
tools
    Hi,
    I'm a student and a new windows phone developer. I recently created a new WP app "Music to Library". Motive of the app was to solve two problems with WP.
    1. Download a Song from Web to the Music Hub [WP's IE starts streaming it]
    2. Transfer Songs from PC/Laptop wirelessly to your phone into the Music Hub.

My App solves these two problems ..
    For 1. you have to paste the song link in the app and fill the necessary fields and It downloads the song to your Music Library.
    For 2. A Server is needed. The detailed instructions on how to set up server and the server link are in the app description.

It's a fairly simple app without much bells and whistles but I hope It does the job for you.

App Link is : Music to Library | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

You can check the Screenshots to get an Idea.

For those of you who wish to join the beta, Please fill it : http://sdrv.ms/17qZeOL

Feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks. :)
    Last edited by nsbabra; 09-06-2013 at 12:49 PM.
    09-06-2013 12:30 PM
    Thanks for bringing a new app to the attention of our members here on WPCentral. It looks interesting and useful. Good luck with your app, and please feel free to check out the other forums and interact with members here.
    09-06-2013 12:43 PM
    Oh snap! This could be good.
    09-06-2013 12:43 PM
    Thanks for bringing a new app to the attention of our members here on WPCentral. It looks interesting and useful. Good luck with your app, and please feel free to check out the other forums and interact with members here.
    Thank you.

Oh snap! This could be good.
    Does the job for me.
    09-06-2013 12:54 PM
    Funny, I just posted a thread on how to do something similar in a rudimentary way this morning http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...i-network.html but this app may be just what I was really looking for. Thanks. I just signed up for the Beta.
    09-06-2013 01:43 PM
    Funny, I just posted a thread on how to do something similar in a rudimentary way this morning http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...i-network.html but this app may be just what I was really looking for. Thanks. I just signed up for the Beta.
    Hahaha , No Problems I hope this solves your purpose.
    Added to Beta.. :)
    09-06-2013 01:47 PM
    hi, is there supposed to be an installer for the server. i downloaded the server zip file but no exe or msi in the zip.
    09-07-2013 05:46 AM
    hi, is there supposed to be an installer for the server. i downloaded the server zip file but no exe or msi in the zip.
    Server is a jar file...
    IT requires java to be installed on your system. There is no installer, just run the .jar file once you install java on your system.
    Last edited by nsbabra; 09-07-2013 at 09:22 PM.
    09-07-2013 05:52 AM
    Feedback from those, who have downloaded it, will be highly appreciated.. :)
    09-07-2013 03:34 PM
    I definitely will. I now have this working and it absolutely works. I've noticed some minor things as is expected but it solves a major issue (for me) so thanks.I've used it to transfer 6 MP3's larger than 150MB without issue.
    09-07-2013 07:31 PM
    Thanks. I had an issue with my JRE. I uninstalled Java and reinstalled the latest version and the server worked fine.
    09-07-2013 07:34 PM
    I definitely will. I now have this working and it absolutely works. I've noticed some minor things as is expected but it solves a major issue (for me) so thanks.I've used it to transfer 6 MP3's larger than 150MB without issue.
    Great.. :)
    and about the bugs, I know there are some.. But will probably squash them out in the final release as I have my exams now and next month.
    A UI overhaul and these minor bugs are on my to-do list for the final release.
    In the mean time, If you notice some other bugs. Please feel free to write here . I'll see what I can do. :)
    09-08-2013 08:20 AM
    Just signed up for the beta, this looks like a very useful application :)
    09-08-2013 08:29 AM
    Just signed up for the beta, this looks like a very useful application :)
    Added.. :)
    09-08-2013 12:08 PM
    I'm still unable to download the app. It just keeps saying that I do not have permission to download the app :(
    09-08-2013 04:42 PM
    I'm still unable to download the app. It just keeps saying that I do not have permission to download the app :(
    I have added all ids in the form.. :/
    Can you PM me your Microsoft Account ID or share it here ?
    09-09-2013 01:06 AM
    Pm sent :)
    09-09-2013 01:35 AM
    Pm sent :)
    Added your info now... :)
    09-09-2013 02:33 AM
    Thank you, downloading now :)
    09-09-2013 02:41 AM
    Can you please add my ID to this link.. I will pm my ms id to you.. thanks in advance..
    09-22-2013 07:30 PM
    After using this for awhile here's my initial feedback. It does work well most of the time. I did have some issues with the app crashing on the phone and I also had some lockups on my server (WIN2k8 R2) using the java server for this app. I also had a hard drive failure (the one the java server was accessing) on my server during this period which is probably not related but I stopped using this for now anyway. Keep up the good work and I'll probably test the next version.

Pros:
    1. It transfers the files over my home Wifi and does place them in the music hub on my phone which is exactly what I wanted. If only MS would allow Dev's to access the SD card so the files could be put where I really want them.
    2. Did not notice any storage issues such as unexplained increases in other storage etc..
    3. Nice and simple. No unneeded features.

Cons:
    1. UX needs some refinement. Needs some sort of status or percentage indicator. It's difficult to tell if the file is actually being transferred.
    2. When file successfully completes transferring it says "file deleted" before saying it was successful.
    3. Transfers are slow.
    4. Needs to support transferring from a normal windows file share instead of needing a Java app on the host machine. Java is not secure and it seems like every app in the store requires you to install their own server in order to work. If we all did that we'd have 100 individual servers running on our PC's. and is a security issue in my opinion.

All in all I think it's pretty good for a Beta and will keep tabs on it. Something like ES file explorer would be awesome.
    09-26-2013 02:56 PM
    After using this for awhile here's my initial feedback. It does work well most of the time. I did have some issues with the app crashing on the phone and I also had some lockups on my server (WIN2k8 R2) using the java server for this app. I also had a hard drive failure (the one the java server was accessing) on my server during this period which is probably not related but I stopped using this for now anyway. Keep up the good work and I'll probably test the next version.

Pros:
    1. It transfers the files over my home Wifi and does place them in the music hub on my phone which is exactly what I wanted. If only MS would allow Dev's to access the SD card so the files could be put where I really want them.
    2. Did not notice any storage issues such as unexplained increases in other storage etc..
    3. Nice and simple. No unneeded features.

Cons:
    1. UX needs some refinement. Needs some sort of status or percentage indicator. It's difficult to tell if the file is actually being transferred.
    2. When file successfully completes transferring it says "file deleted" before saying it was successful.
    3. Transfers are slow.
    4. Needs to support transferring from a normal windows file share instead of needing a Java app on the host machine. Java is not secure and it seems like every app in the store requires you to install their own server in order to work. If we all did that we'd have 100 individual servers running on our PC's. and is a security issue in my opinion.

All in all I think it's pretty good for a Beta and will keep tabs on it. Something like ES file explorer would be awesome.
    Thank you for the feedback.. Appreciate it .

1. As for UI, I'll definitely work on it..
    2. That is some bad coding practice.. Forgot to uncomment it .. Will be done in next version.
    3. I don't think I can do much about it.. but will still try to find the balance b/w Buffer and transfer speed in the next release..
    4. A server is needed to send requests to and get responses from.. Pardon me if I'm not getting you..
    But when you open the app's mainpage.. It sends request to "192.168.x.x:999" or something.. and there should be a server (on Port 9999 here) that understands the kind of request and can generate a response that can be understood by the client.
    And Server uses minimal OS resources and only understands the kind of request the client sends (in this case, my App).. so there's not to worry about it.. I suppose.

Still, I'll try, once my exams are over, to code the server too in C#.net too...I coded the server in Java as it'll be able to run on Linux, Windows and Mac(hopefully).

And I don't think the server caused your hard disk crash.. I've transferred almost whole of my collection (just to test) and my Laptop is working fine. :D
    09-27-2013 01:27 PM
    i joined the beta too now...this is gonna be great, and exactly what i wanted and needed...just w8ing for the confirmation now^^
    10-13-2013 12:24 PM
    Hey can i get this app in india...its not available in indian windows store..!
    12-07-2013 12:12 PM
    Can I join the beta. my usb just broke on the 920.
    12-23-2013 08:23 AM
27 12