Super Polygon / Super Hexagon game beta test

danglingneuron

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Tile300v2.png

Thanks to all beta testers. BETA is CLOSED. The game is released.

Windows Phone 8 users can now download Super Polygon v1.0.
Windows 8.1 users can now download Super Polygon v1.0.

Please don't forget to rate it a 5-star game and keep providing feedback. We have a lot of stuff coming in next update.

Super Polygon is a twitchy, hypnotic music-rhythm based game that looks deceptively simple but is hard to master. This is the game you need to zone out and lose yourself in the minimalist action mechanic beating to the music. You will get trapped in complex polygon patterns, repeatedly die and get frustrated. But you will rejoice when you figure out the patterns and how to navigate the treacherous polygon world. This is not Flappy bird, this is some hard core stuff. So zone in or zone out... and get ready for addictive gameplay.
First check out the tutorial/learn mode, choose the visual theme you like and then get down to it. Prove yourself in Super Square, Super Pentagon, Super Hexagon and Super Octagon to put your best score on the online leaderboard. Please provide feedback and don't forget to rate it a 5-star game. Like our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/superpolygon

=====================================================================

Some of you maybe familiar with the hit game "Super Hexagon" on iOS / Android. Since the developer is not interested in bringing the game to Windows platform (phone and tablet), I started on a project to bring a similar experience for Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8.1.

Attachments

• Tile300.png
    Tile300.png
    31.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

danglingneuron

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Everyone who has signed up for beta should now have an email from "Dangling Concepts" with the subject "Super Polygon Beta 1.0 Download". Please check your spam/junk folder if you cant find the email.

Download the game on your windows phone 8 device and let the play-testing begin :)

Last edited:

Idiosyncrasy

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Just signed up for the beta, but haven't been granted access yet. Took a look at the listing, and was curious as to why the app requires access to the Photo Library?

Looking forward to trying this out and providing feedback; own Super Hexagon on both my iPhone and on my PC via Steam so I was disappointed when I saw he wasn't porting it to devices like Windows Phone and the Surface

danglingneuron

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for trying it out.. it does need patience in the beginning.. but if you stick with it, you start recognizing the patterns.. if you have any suggestions on controls let me know. Next beta buil will be out in a couple days with settings to tweak controls and then some..

danglingneuron

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Will give you access in a bit.. I have to tweak the access settings.. since it is a beta I did not pay attention to those.. I don't think it should require photo lib access.
Yes, I had contacted the SH developer to offer him help in porting to WP8 and Surface last year but he is not interested at all. So this year I started with Super Polygon. Hopefully will release by mid March but need lots of help from beta testers to help shape the game and provide ideas on how to differentiate it.

Just signed up for the beta, but haven't been granted access yet. Took a look at the listing, and was curious as to why the app requires access to the Photo Library?

Looking forward to trying this out and providing feedback; own Super Hexagon on both my iPhone and on my PC via Steam so I was disappointed when I saw he wasn't porting it to devices like Windows Phone and the Surface

Idiosyncrasy

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Hey there, just reporting in with my feedback from the Beta of Super Polygon.

First off, awesome job capturing the look of Super Hexagon during game play. The game looks fluid in motion and I could get any frame rate drops when I tried on the 920, 1020, and the 1520.

The following is just my observations and opinions from playing and are no way indicative of any other users, also please note I am focusing on things that I felt needed improvement or just felt "wrong". I figure that while praise on what you got right is great, constructive criticism will help make the app more polished and smooth.

First off, the menu screen seems way to complicated and busy. Super Hexagon is all about minimalism in the UI and having the slanted buttons, mini buttons in the banner, and then the regular buttons on the bottom combines way to many different elements and confuses the user while looking cluttered.

Second, the tutorial is definitely helpful... But had some flaws; it moves far too slow (this can be remedied by adding more obstacles at the slow pace, or increasing the speed slightly - I almost lost interest in the tutorial because if this) and it ends too abruptly (would be great to see it fade out, display a completion screen, or go straight into a round of "Polygon" mode seamlessly like in Super Hexagon)

Third, the controls seem a little loose however this isn't necessarily a bad thing (they just don't feel as tight and responsive as Super Hexagon - not sure if it is the movement speed or what but something just seemed off)

Fourth (this is one I'm sure people will be mixed on), in Super Hexagon hitting the side of a wall wouldn't kill you (it stops your movement until the wall moves) and the only thing that kills you is the bottom of the wall hitting you; I have had a few deaths in Super Polygon however because I went through the side of a wall (or tapped it ever so slightly) - to me, this aspect makes the game feel a little cheap and unpolished as well as seeming to force some unnecessary difficulty.

Fifth, for some reason the game feels a bit slower than Super Hexagon (i.e. Getting to 120 seconds in Hexagon doesn't feel like it took two minute, but it definitely feels like it took more than two minutes to get there in Polygon. This is personal opinion and i think that will go away in time.

Idiosyncrasy

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Sixth, Super Hexagon is all about twitch reactions and speed. One thing I noticed when retrying is that it takes a few seconds to reset, zoom out, and start to play again. I, and I assume many others, would appreciate faster restarts when we die so we can get right back in on the action (nothing quite like dying with 5 seconds on Hyper Hexagonest!)

And lastly, number seven... One of the key things I enjoyed about my time with Hexagon is that when I died and restarted... The music picked up at a different(semi-random) place. This really helped keep me enthralled and made me feel like what I was doing was less repetitive and I think is a huge part of why I went back for more and more of Hexagon.

Overall, I think you have a great base and am looking forward to trying out future revisions as well as being able to scratch my Hexagon itch when I'm away from my iOS device or my computer.

I'll continue to play and provide more feedback as well, can't wait to see what the higher difficulty levels look like and what kind of nee music they hold for us

EDIT - Sorry for the double post, the WPCentral app stopped displaying text in the text box partway through the paragraph so I posted what I had

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99