Super Polygon / Super Hexagon game beta test

danglingneuron

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Awesome.. thank you so much for the detailed feedback. All points noted, will work through them.

A new beta release coming tomorrow with the following:

1. Level 2 with its own music track and new wall patterns
2. Settings - player speed, themes, colors

As for your points:

1. Menu screen - will work on it to see how it can be simplified
2. Tutorial - yes its too slow even for my taste.. but for someone who doesn't have any idea what SH is.. maybe its alright. Someone like yourself would probably not even do a tutorial. But again, I will increase the speed a tiny bit. Completion screen etc will be added
3. Controls - added a setting screen with player speed setting.. so will wait for your feedback on that
4. Wall Side - this one I am not too sure about. but will definitely think about it. I will probably take a poll towards the end of the beta on this one.
5. Feel - hmmm... will have to see why that is.. maybe its the speed of things?
6. Retry time - yes I agree, I have to put that delay in there to load an ad. That's the only way to support a free game. BUT, I will provide an option to remove ad.. and when the ad is removed, there will be no delay, I will make sure retry is instantaneous.
7. Music random - the strategy I am using.. (beta 2) is that on player death, music is paused. and then resumed from the same place when player hits retry. So its continuation. This happens till the music is at the 1 minute mark. If you die after the music's 1-minute mark, the music is again reset from the start. All music tracks are approx. 3 minutes long. So hopefully this technique keeps the player from getting bored and will be able to at least listen 1 minute of music even if he keeps dying at 5 seconds in the level.

Sixth, Super Hexagon is all about twitch reactions and speed. One thing I noticed when retrying is that it takes a few seconds to reset, zoom out, and start to play again. I, and I assume many others, would appreciate faster restarts when we die so we can get right back in on the action (nothing quite like dying with 5 seconds on Hyper Hexagonest!)

And lastly, number seven... One of the key things I enjoyed about my time with Hexagon is that when I died and restarted... The music picked up at a different(semi-random) place. This really helped keep me enthralled and made me feel like what I was doing was less repetitive and I think is a huge part of why I went back for more and more of Hexagon.

Overall, I think you have a great base and am looking forward to trying out future revisions as well as being able to scratch my Hexagon itch when I'm away from my iOS device or my computer.

I'll continue to play and provide more feedback as well, can't wait to see what the higher difficulty levels look like and what kind of nee music they hold for us

EDIT - Sorry for the double post, the WPCentral app stopped displaying text in the text box partway through the paragraph so I posted what I had

danglingneuron

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Super Polygon V1.1 Beta is Ready!

I am so excited to announce Super Polygon v1.1beta. Thank you for your interest in helping me test Super Polygon.

In this update:
1. Added a second level with its own music track
2. Added player rotation speed to settings screen
3. Added 4 awesome themes: Flat, Dragon, 3D, Spikes
4. Player object is now a triangle
5. Side wall collision will not kill the player (in most cases)
6. Added new wall patterns
7. Added some sounds/announcements (still work in progress)
8. Added a setting to enable "test mode". In this mode player will not die, so you can go through the whole level to test it.

I only have 2 weeks left to complete this game, so its critical that I get feedback from you guys. Please respond with feedback, suggestions, critique by Monday next week.
You can send me feedback by replying to this email or from you phone - just tap on the "mail" icon on the main menu screen in the game.

You should be able to download the game; if you face any issues, wait 10 minutes and try again.

The game is all about music and action. It looks deceptively simple and can get frustrating :) so make sure to put the volume on high since I need feedback on the music as well.

If you haven't played it before, please play tutorial by tapping the "LEARN" button. Additional levels with their own music tracks are coming.

Please like our facebook page.

Thank You,

Imran Shafiq
@danglingneuron

Last edited:

Idiosyncrasy

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Hey there,

Just reporting back in with my first initial responses to the update (which was WAY more substantial than I had imagined!), I'll be able to provide more feedback through the weekend for you.

Bugs and Observations:
- This one is very minor (unless you plan on shipping the game with the 'Test Mode' setting still in the game), but when completing a run utilizing test mode the option unchecks itself. This could be the intended behavior (and makes perfect sense to me if this is the case!), but I thought I would make a note of it for you
- When selecting the "Dragon" Theme, leaving the settings screen and starting a run will cause the selected theme to be "Spikes" once the run is over; This is also the case if you go into settings, select the Dragon Theme, and then change your tab to either the colors or general tabs

Current thoughts on new features to implement:
- Adding an endless mode to each of the levels would be awesome. I have hit the 180 second mark a few times, and would love to continue playing (even if the music just loops/repeats) until I die
- The sounds/music are very loud even on 01/30 volume (this is the case for most things, not just your app!), so it would be an awesome addition to have a volume slider in the settings screen. Ideally, there would be 2: Music and Sound Effects (for death and the female announcer), however even just one that is "Master Volume" would be great!

I'll continue to play with it this weekend and let you know what else I come across or come up with. I was pleasantly surprise to hear the announcer this morning when I installed the update and am a really big fan of how you were identifying your current level (with the symbols and the announcer telling you beta, etc). I did play with the Player Speed option, but am still deciding on my thoughts for it as of now. I also replayed the tutorial and was surprised to see that there was a nice completion screen to it... very nice touch

hope4wp

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
I love the game now....i now know how to use it and I just love the triangle :p circle was a bit weird...and the female voice gives me the creeps....i don't get what she says

danglingneuron

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I love the game now....i now know how to use it and I just love the triangle :p circle was a bit weird...and the female voice gives me the creeps....i don't get what she says

Trust me the voice over is just a placeholder for now till I get something good. This is actually the voice of my friend (guy) with some effects on to make it look like a female voice ;).. Nadia Syed if you want to do the voice over, let me know :)

danglingneuron

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
@Idiosyncrasy Thanks again for the feedback.

1. Test Mode is only for you guys .. the objective being that you see the whole level and listen to the complete music track. It will be removed for public release.

2. Yes, the settings screen has bugs as you noticed, fixing soon and adding colors page where you can choose color scheme for the level

3. I will add a music/sound slider, but there is one catch. I cannot offer a complete 0 volume or mute in the game, you will have to mute the phone volume if you dont want sound. The reason for this is because this is a music based game. The level beats based on what music is playing . If I make teh volume 0 inside the game or mute inside the game the level will become easier becasue it will not "beat" it cant detect/hear any music. I hope I am explaining it better.

4. Instead of 3 speed options I can provide a slider as well for speed if it would be useful.

5. I am actually changing the whole level scheme right now. Next update you will have the following:

Beginner levels:
Square - 60 seconds - only square mode
Pentagon - 60 seconds - only pentagon mode
Hexagon - 60 seconds - only hexagon mode
Octagon - 60 seconds - only octagon mode

Intermediate Levels:
Polygon - 120 seconds - square+pentagon mode (fast)
Hyper Polygon - 120 seconds - square+pentagon mode (faster)
Polygoner - 120 seconds - hexagon+octagon mode (fast)
Hyper Polygoner - 120 seconds - hexagon+octagon mode (faster)

Advanced Level:

Polygonest - 180 seconds - square+pentagon+hexagon+octagon - fast
Hyper Polygonest - 180 seconds - square+pentagon+hexagon+octagon - faster
Uber Polygonest - 180 seconds - square+pentagon+hexagon+octagon - fastest

Finale:

Super Polygon - infinite level - crazy patterns, fastest - vomit inducing :)

There will be a level unlocking system, some of it you can unlock by just clearing previous levels, some of it will be in-app-purchase so I can make some money off it. If you guys have any suggestions in this regard. Please let me know!

AND final question ... who would like to see a "flappy bird" as the player object in Super Polygon.. LoL :)

hope4wp

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Trust me the voice over is just a placeholder for now till I get something good. This is actually the voice of my friend (guy) with some effects on to make it look like a female voice ;).. Nadia Syed if you want to do the voice over, let me know :)
I'd love to but I have a different accent....so I can't. :) thanks by the way

danglingneuron

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Your subscribe page sounds like its making us subscribe to recieve spam lol ! Anyway, registered, hope to see the mail soon.

:) You can always unsubscribe using the link in the subscription confirmation email :) But I just added two screenshots from the game to the subscription page to make it more authentic :)

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
:) You can always unsubscribe using the link in the subscription confirmation email :) But I just added two screenshots from the game to the subscription page to make it more authentic :)

must say, you've made a nice game ! And the soundtrack is great ! But one problem, it arrow sometimes gets killed when we hit the walls from the sides too. I'll put a screenshot later when i can. Fix this please !

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
And please optimize it a bit more, i mean the motion of the arrow should be a little more smooth, and also, the installation size too, its too much. Though i understand its in beta so would take time, anyway good efforts !

danglingneuron

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
And please optimize it a bit more, i mean the motion of the arrow should be a little more smooth, and also, the installation size too, its too much. Though i understand its in beta so would take time, anyway good efforts !

Yes installation size is due to music tracks.. but I will compress music tracks. final game shouldn't be more than 30 MB. I have improved the wall-side collision a lot. It shouldnt get you killed in most cases.. just make sure not to force your triangle into them.

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Yes installation size is due to music tracks.. but I will compress music tracks. final game shouldn't be more than 30 MB. I have improved the wall-side collision a lot. It shouldnt get you killed in most cases.. just make sure not to force your triangle into them.

oh good ! Thanks ! Any idea when's the next update coming out ?

Idiosyncrasy

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Back again for another exciting round of feedback for Super Polygon!

In regards to the player move speeds, I like having the different settings (and think that the slider may not be a bad thing) however with the two levels we have now I can't really comment on if this will "break" the game or give people unfair advantages. What I would suggest, is that each level has it's own speed... i.e. the beginner levels use the slow speed, intermediate levels use a speed that is a little faster, and then advanced levels use the fastest speed.

For some reason, I feel that level 2 is easier than level 1. I'm not sure why, but I had an easier time beating level 2 consistently than I did playing level 1 (this might be because I played the first round of the beta perhaps?) This shouldn't matter though, as you're changing the entire level structure anyways :)

Also, looking forward to seeing some more "tricky" patterns. There were a few in the Hexagonest mode that threw me for a loop in Super Hexagon, and I'm hoping that the more advanced levels have some interesting patterns that will make me want to throw my phone across the room haha

So, really no new feedback from this weekend and just looking forward to trying the new levels and patterns out. I'll be keeping my eye out for any additional bugs as well of course

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium