Become A "Developer" Just To Get Mango?

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I have absolutely no training or experience as a developer of any kind. But even before Windows Phone was announced, I had been considering it, just to see what it was like. Honestly, I haven't had, and really won't have, any real time to put into it, so I haven't looked into the details of getting registered yet. But recently my wife has naively asked me if I could create an apparently simple app, and I would love to woo her in such a way, although I have no idea where to start.

Twitter has been buzzing lately about non-official developers getting Mango just to get it early, and this has rekindled my interest.

How common is this? What would it take to do this? What could be the drawbacks (bricking)?

Also, how difficult would it be to learn how to code (something incredibly simple) for Mango who has had no background in it at all?

I will not be offended if someone tells me I'm a complete idiot for thinking that I could possible do this, I just want to get some feedback.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
If you dev unlocked your phone, you can upgrade your phone without being a dev. Search xda

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

zach_power

May 28, 2011
Visit site
If you, or someone you know has a student email. You get free signup for a year. After signing up just make a super-simple "Hello World" app to get accepted. Once that is done, you can developer unlock your phone and start programming a serious app or installing Mongo.

I have taken quite a bit of coding classes, but do not excel at it. I would give it a shot if thats what you want to do.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm more interested in the second question you had, how hard would it be to ramp up to making a simple app from 0 experience. The last bit of programming I did was in Pascal 7 over a decade ago. :p Getting Mango early was enough to push me over the edge and pay the developer fee because I have two really good (I feel) app ideas. Can anyone link some good resources to get up to speed quickly, a foundation of basics to build on? Books to buy in real life, articles to read, blogs, etc. Thanks.

rsmiley0

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Anyone check the book 101 Windows Phone 7 Apps? Started reading this (on my Kindle and my WM7!) and it is really laid out well. The author provides source code and discusses 50 application that he has made.

I will be getting the Chevron app so that I can put stuff on my phone that I have made on my own.

Was interested in getting the full developer, but after they wanted company and web site , which I have neither I kinda stopped that process. I hear later on they want like tax form numbers and such...

m_kock

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Got my invite today. Finally able to get a taste of mango! I registered on Dreamspark and on AppHub the day the beta was released.

rsmiley0

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Got mine too

Got my Mango invite and after paying attention to the directions carefully was able to upgrade my phone. So far so good. My "Spider" transparent wallpaper looks even worse now is about the only negative. Seems to have ghost - multiple images. So now the fun of trying/finding 500 + features.

I laughed when I went to add the Twitter in and it says coming soon!
Now to sit down and start the application that I want to create.

Goodeye

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Ya I had a nice Halo 4 transparent wallpaper that crapped out after Mango was installed. My guess is transparent wallapapers are likely to not work very well in Mango.