Developer Wannabe

slsterling

Dec 19, 2010
www.twitter.com
I want to try and learn how to develop WP7 apps. My goal is to make an app for tumblr since all of the existing ones aren't very good. However, I have no experience with programming other than building websites.

I've looked up the App Hub and C9 tutorials but I think I'm ever more of a newbie than their newbie guides are geared toward. The first problem I've come across is that I want to build a Mango compatible app but it seems like the guides are outdated and so the steps are not accurate. Also, should I code in C# or the other language Visual Studio has? Then, how the heck do I integrate the tumblr API? I'm assuming this is basic knowledge for programmers so my question is about what tools you'd recommend for a beginner? I don't have the funds to take a course or buy a book so if you could recommend any tutorials that would be necessary to get on the fast track, I'd greatly appreciate it.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Once you get the hang of C# and .NET a bit, then you can look into tumblr. I'm not familiar with the tumblr API at all, but you might be able to find a .NET library to make it easier. A quick search found this library:

TumblrAPI.NET

It's pretty old and hasn't been updated in a while so maybe you can find something newer that works better. But even if it doesn't fully work you can look at the code and get some understanding of how to use the tumblr API.

jeffa00

Dec 2, 2010
galacticbeacon.com
I'd definitely spend some time here: Code Samples for Windows Phone

No, you won't understand it at first, but looking through the code samples will help you start to get a feel for the code and the structure.

You say you have done web development. Safe to guess javascript? If so I'd definitely stay with C# since both are rooted in the C language. Giant pitfalls going from one to the other, however, so be aware that what makes sense in one won't necessarily in the other, even if they look similar.

More tutorials here: C# Tutorials (C#)

I'd also say you should check out Welcome to INETA and find a .Net user group near you. You can learn a bunch at the meetings and hook up with folks who are doing development now.

Good luck with your endeavors!

cyrus_the_great

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi,I have some questions:
1-Is C# the only language that can be used writing apps and games?
2-What's XNA?
3-Can I write in Windows Phone SDK the exact same code that I wrote for PC programs?a simple program not the one needs powerful processors!

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi,I have some questions:
1-Is C# the only language that can be used writing apps and games?
2-What's XNA?
3-Can I write in Windows Phone SDK the exact same code that I wrote for PC programs?a simple program not the one needs powerful processors!

1 - No, Visual Basic.NET can be used
2 - Tools for xbox game development
3 - Kind of a vague question, but not likely

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
The .NET Framework class library, used to develop Windows applications, shares a limited subset of classes and interfaces with Silverlight and, to a lesser extent, XNA. However, most of the Silverlight for WP and XNA frameworks are targeted toward WP7 development and are exclusive to that platform.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for this info. I've been seriously considering getting back into programming after 30+ years seeing as how there are so many different apps that just don't' exist and I don't see anyone willing or even considering programming them. My only problem is that the last time I programmed it was in BASIC on my C=64. I have ALOT to learn in order to even begin doing anything.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa