If I want to develop an app for wp7, what language do I learn?

btbam91

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Complete newbie here. If I am interested in developing applications for WP7, where do I start in terms of learning how to code? The only coding background I have is MATLAB which I enjoy a lot.

Thanks for the help.

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
C# or VB.NET is your first step. Either can be used to code WP apps. There are already a couple other threads in this forum that provide good, first-step resources. Good luck.

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
And if you are hopelessly outmatched, XAML/Silverlight... they are the interface layer. Underneath is powered by C#, which is mostly a play of logic (after getting the syntax down).

XAML is *almost* drag and drop. You can create basic info applications using almost pure XAML (map, directory, etc). It's a markup language with a WYSIWYG editor built in. Almost like building websites with Frontpage or Dreamweaver.

All this, and the above[edit:above+above] post, are included in the WP7 SDK, avalible free. Have fun!

Oh.... and it's good practice to document/comment what you are doing when making an application. That way, if you need to edit it a year or so later, you don't have to relearn some of the intrinsities of what you were doing last year :p

JedH

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Definitely learn C# over VB.NET if you want to get into it.

FIRST THING YOU NEED TO DO IS go to App Hub - windows phone and xbox live indie games development and register there, then go through all of their resources and examples, then get the book 101 Windows Phone Apps, it's the best development book I've ever read.

I switched to WP7 development from iOS as my mainstay about 6 months ago and now work as a full time WP7 developer and it's insane how quick you can pick it up.

Boodev

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Don't forget about XNA too. Its mainly used for developing games, but since Mango Silverlight and XNA can be combined to create some rather sweet applications.

Once you've got the basics down, you might find taking a look at XNA is worth your time too. Again, this all comes with the WP7 SDK.

vignesh1192

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site

craigzaaki

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
If you are a beginner , it is very difficult to stuy languages like c, c++ etc.. So start with vb.net is veary easy and then you can change to C# and then to next step. If you start in vb.net VB.NET Tutorial , VB.NET Help , VB.NET Source Code , it is giving step by step tutorial from very basics to advanced. The same lessons and tutorial in c# you can find in C# Tutorial , C# Help , C# Source Code . In both chapters the lessons and content same but one is vb.net and other is c#. So just go through the website and study step by step . Afyet you familer with c# then you can change to Java , C++ etc..

zaaki.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Continuing on, which language that will allow easy porting from WP, to Metro? Or vise-verse?

I dabbled in Pascal, Fortan, C, and VB long, long ago, but found being a Sys Admin was easier. But now I'm burnt out on being a Sys Admin and I am thinking trying programming.

Oldmajor

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I would suggest Programming in the Key of C#: A Primer for Aspiring Programmers (Pro-Developer) also by Charles Petzold. Its a book for the very beginner. Then a book like c# Unleashed as a good follow up/reference after you get those two down you can jump into Programming Windows Phone 7 (available for free in pdf, epub and mobi formats) and making a few basic apps

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes