Total newb wants to get into programming need help

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I am a network admin but I want to try making Windows Phone, Xbox and Windows 8 apps as a hobby.

I remember taking a Java course in school and I totally sucked I always had a sour taste when it comes to programming I wish it was more visual rather than all code.

The only programming background I have is making HTML webpages and putting them up on Geocities LOL but I really want to try to make an APP that is very scalable on all Microsoft platforms.

The question is what should I do should should I look at buying a few books or download the dev tools what do you guys think is a good first step?

I am also interested in Interface design what application do I need for that Photoshop, Gimp etc?

Any advice would be great thanks

G

CAVX

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm no professional at apps yet - I've released one, and I'm sure it could be better. But I am a .NET developer by trade.

I started my career when I was in high school messing with websites. It can be a more than decent start to programming. In my opinion, the best way to create an app is to get your hands dirty. Of course, you want to learn the language a bit and study up on what you're going to be doing. But I find that my favorite way to learn something is to just do it, even if I have no idea how. Then when I'm up to my knees in challenges and frustrated out of my mind, I'm forced to find a way to push through. That's how I made my first WP7 app. But I don't know if everyone is like that.

I'd study the basics of C# and .NET development, read up a little bit on Windows Phone dev in general, and then get the tools. I don't know of any, but if you can find a sample app with source code available, that could help you get on your way to understanding how everything fits together.

Cheers and good luck!

JedH

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I would say the best thing to do is go to: create.msdn.com

From there register and go through all of the tutorials and everything. I would consider myself fairly decent at WP7 development now and I have used many books, but I use MSDN more than anything. It's actually the handiest resource.

It also takes a lot work, really you just have to keep hacking away at it. Hope that helps!

the_tyrant

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I would recommend starting with vb.net, and you made a great choice developing for windows phone 7. It is much easier than ios(objective C is extremely hard) or andriod(too many different devices)

Start by getting yourself a copy of visual studio(some companies offer them to employees, but the free express will also do fine)

Than go on channel 9 for video lessons

Add me on Skype if you need someone just to talk to: the_tyrantx

Sent from my LG-C900B using Board Express

Gmotagi

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
If you find C# too taxing, you could try creating some thing simple with PhoneGap. This is a cross platform tool that basically lets you create an application using html/css/javascript and publish to WP7, Android, iPhone etc.

Its not going to look as good as a native app but its an alternative.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05