Can audio playback speed be changed?

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I listen to sermons, lectures and audiobooks (wma/mp3) in WIndows and I usually use the playspeed settings to listen at up to 2x speed. I especially like that WMP speeds up the sound without changing the pitch.

Can an app be programmed for WP7 to do this? My brother does not have a Windows phone but is a computer engineer and programmer. He thought that perhaps Windows Phone would not allow that kind of 'access'.

What do you developers say, can it be done? Any takers to produce it? I personally really want the feature, and another brother of mine recently showed me that the iPhone does in fact have an app for that!

wildbohr

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
I listen to sermons, lectures and audiobooks (wma/mp3) in WIndows and I usually use the playspeed settings to listen at up to 2x speed. I especially like that WMP speeds up the sound without changing the pitch.

Can an app be programmed for WP7 to do this? My brother does not have a Windows phone but is a computer engineer and programmer. He thought that perhaps Windows Phone would not allow that kind of 'access'.

What do you developers say, can it be done? Any takers to produce it? I personally really want the feature, and another brother of mine recently showed me that the iPhone does in fact have an app for that!
I have actually thought of trying to do this. I miss that feature for listening to podcasts.

wildbohr

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
I did some digging around. The best hope for doing this looked like the SoundEffect class, because it allows for manipulating the samplerate of the sound file. I got a prototype working, I was able to slow down playback no problem. However when I tried to speed it up it's capped at a 48000MHz sample rate, which is pretty standard sound wise. So I thought about deriving a subclass based on SoundEffect and trying manipulating the value after it was initialized but the class looks locked down. I don't see a quick and dirty way to do this unfortunately.

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for looking into it, i'm sad to hear that it wouldn't be easy. I hope an app can be made or that MSoft adds the feature to WP8 (though i suppose that is unlikely...they have too many other things to focus on).

wildbohr

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
I had a couple of ideas on how to implement it but nothing that could be implemented quickly for testing, and it would be very kludgy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium