Publishing information?

Welve

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I have a friend that has developed a game for Android and iOS, but hasn't yet made the jump to Windows Phone. Partially because I think he has some misinformation.

Anyone have information about the submission and development process? Like how long does it take for Microsoft to approve an app, how stringently do they test, is there a good way to transfer apps from Android or iOS to WP7? That kind of thing.

Thanks guys!

JedH

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Submission process is nothing like Android, and to me it's somewhat similar to iOS in terms of the review process. The wait I've experienced is far less though. Also it's way easier to deploy and package builds to submit to MS in comparison to iOS.

In terms of porting apps, unless you're making one of those spam apps in html5, nothing will port easily from iOS to WP7 in my experience. That being said, if you're a good dev, the concepts are the same it's just a matter of learning .NET syntax and what's specific to the OS (less MVC and more MVVM approach as one example).

MikeInBA

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Some of the biggest apps on iOS are built with HTML5. I would say that the well written ones are even hard to distinguish from native apps. But HTML5 + JS is fast and easy, and hence lots of poorly designed apps.

Honestly I dont know if I would ever code in a native language if i wanted to hit multiple platforms (exception for gaming obviously). For my company we are using PhoneGap and jquery mobile. But for my personal project at home, im going native (C# developer by trade)

Jeff Kibuule

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Submission process is nothing like Android, and to me it's somewhat similar to iOS in terms of the review process. The wait I've experienced is far less though. Also it's way easier to deploy and package builds to submit to MS in comparison to iOS.

In terms of porting apps, unless you're making one of those spam apps in html5, nothing will port easily from iOS to WP7 in my experience. That being said, if you're a good dev, the concepts are the same it's just a matter of learning .NET syntax and what's specific to the OS (less MVC and more MVVM approach as one example).

I think it really depends on the app. I ported my app, Pocket Lab Values, from iOS/Android in a little over a week since the Lumia 900 came out. Granted, it's heavily database driven, but I knew absolutely zero C# and Silverlight when I started last Sunday. It's less about the platform and more about a person's skills as a developer.

edgarness

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I think it really depends on the app. I ported my app, Pocket Lab Values, from iOS/Android in a little over a week since the Lumia 900 came out. Granted, it's heavily database driven, but I knew absolutely zero C# and Silverlight when I started last Sunday. It's less about the platform and more about a person's skills as a developer.

Submission process is nothing like Android.
g.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon