So I have about 6 apps on the marketplace. A few in development at various states of address, usually they are paused due to the artist disappearing into a blackhole. It seems unless I pay cash upfront, Artists run a mile :)

So, anyone know where to find some artists that are willing to go in on apps and take a cut off the profits?

Where did you guys get artists from, or are you lucky enough to be able to do both art and code! (Surely not!!!!)

Also anyone good at art here, please PM me ;)
    04-29-2012 10:14 AM
    Well, for my two fairly simple apps (simple as far as necessary design is concerned), one published, one in the pipeline at Microsoft, I did artwork myself.

I really don't know what I would do if I wanted to develop something like a game that needs real design.

I personally feel somewhat with artists running away without upfront payment: If one is attentive one can find an article every other day describing how damned hard it is at the moment to make any serious money with apps. And whereas a dev can at least build up some reputation with released apps even if they don't make money, any designers probably get nothing out of it.

For a web application I once ran a spec-work competition on 99design.coms. That was for a logo only, but running such a competition might be a way to get in contact with a designer in a low-wage country that might be interested.
    04-29-2012 12:18 PM
    Interesting idea rbrunner. You are probably right about the money, I have not made tonnes, but enough to mean a little to someone as a hobby. Certainly no fulltime job wage.

Ill check the site out and maybe look down that route.
    04-29-2012 03:01 PM
    So I have about 6 apps on the marketplace. A few in development at various states of address, usually they are paused due to the artist disappearing into a blackhole. It seems unless I pay cash upfront, Artists run a mile :)

So, anyone know where to find some artists that are willing to go in on apps and take a cut off the profits?

Where did you guys get artists from, or are you lucky enough to be able to do both art and code! (Surely not!!!!)

Also anyone good at art here, please PM me ;)
    I'm a designer, I generally work for free - but i wouldn't mind some cash to go towards some new textbooks.

email me - shad.l@betafest.co.uk if you're interested :)
    CommonBlob likes this.
    05-01-2012 02:54 PM
    Ive dropped you an email Shad. Thanks for the interest ;)
    05-01-2012 04:10 PM