Windows Phone 8 vs. W8

Jeremy83

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
I haven't start to support WP, because there were already rumors that MS changes the development for WP8 to WinRT style long before the summit. Although WP8SDK isn't released, is there any paper about differences in developing Metro and WP8 Apps(native - C++) in general(GUI?) to develop a base for both already?

Jeremy83

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Metro is the special W8-GUI, ok. But I often read Metro Apps for those Apps based on WinRT. Didn't know that this is absolutly wrong or definitly missleading. As I worte it is about combined W8/WP8 development. Is there already any statement/paper about what WinRT-APIs are shared? Probably there are differences in APIs for GUI etc.. But my question is about API-similarities, so that I can start today with the "root" app being portable between WP8/W8.

Last edited:

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I just wanted to make sure you knew Metro is not an OS. That's settled. :)

As far as which platform to begin your root app on, be it WP8 or W8 (NT/RT), I don't have that answer. Sorry.

dotnetnelson

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Metro can also return to "Metro Style" apps on Windows 8. That's the actual name of the platform.

I've confirmed with a Skype developer that Windows Phone 8 does indeed use the Windows Runtime (Complete with C++/CX authoring) and you can share a decent amount of code between Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8.

Where it makes sense, the APIs will be shared, there will be small differences on the margins.

There is no whitepaper yet, however.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)