A warning to developers

CommonBlob

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
To be honest im not sure where to post this, so ive gone to the nice hidden area where proven developers lurk :)

I put my app out for beta testing on WPCentral a week or 2 ago and got a few people interested (not much feedback though!) However 1 guy was interested and gave some initial feedback, he then told me he could translate it and he had uploaded the xap onto his Chinese piracy forum!

WOW. Thanks!

So be wary of people who wanting to beta test your apps, because they might just steal them and give them to everyone.

Moderator/Admin, feel free to decide what to do about the person, if you want more details please PM me as I don't want to name and shame if people are ok with this.

CommonBlob

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
He has now apologised and removed the download. I genuinely think that he thought it would be fine. Hmm, guess there is a big cultural difference in China!

Stiv

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up! I would definitely be wary of ever providing the XAP file to anyone I didn't know since there's nothing stopping them uploading it to the marketplace.

Thankfully in this case it sounds like he was just trying to be a little too helpful :)

CommonBlob

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up! I would definitely be wary of ever providing the XAP file to anyone I didn't know since there's nothing stopping them uploading it to the marketplace.

Thankfully in this case it sounds like he was just trying to be a little too helpful :)

That's the thing, I didn't provide the XAP, I used Microsoft's beta on apphub. He just ripped it off.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
yeah , not much we can do for that, some country have different laws that allow or... does not disallow these things. so its hard to control.

if he post links to his Warez/piracy website here on WPcentral , then we can BAN/give infractions.

what I would suggest is to try to add the BETA games/apps to a SINGLE e-mail or set a LIMIT of downloads that can be done ,

now obviously some people can still hack it but at lease this way you can TRY to protect your self's

this does suck doh :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon