Help Needed

3lackdeath

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi Guys

As the title explains i really need some help, i recently got promoted to a position that pays more for less work so I want to use this time learn programming in order develop app/games for WP 7.8 - 8 and beyond.

I knew basic Html which means I know nothing so my main question to you guys is.

1. What programming languages do i need to learn to be able to develop app/games
2. How do I go about getting the curriculum and tools needed for the course
3. Which one do i need to learn first.

I read that I would probably need C# or C++, .XNA, Silverlight, I did CCNA a couple years (5 to be exact n never got to use it) ago so I'm a hardware kinda guy.

I've done a lot of searching and found all kind of stuffs but don't know where to actually start.

tenoclock

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
This is both a good time and a bad time to start develop it for WP. But I'll say mostly good.

There's not much on beginning programming for WP8 at the moment as nothing has really been finalized yet. The good news is that C# isn't completely dropped yet. So what I would do is to learn how to code in C# as a good opportunity to get used to the SDK. Once you are more familiar with the development, hopefully we would have more documents available for the C++ and the WP8 development. To develop games you'll need to learn both XNA/C# (good for casual games).

Now depends on your background, I personally like to work with sample code as I dive into any type of development, then research the issues as I go along. With that said I recommend 101 Windows Phone 7 Apps, Volume I: Developing Apps 1-50 This literally just walk you through what author is trying to do with his apps. You can learn a lot by manipulating his codes. What that book won't teach you is the basis of the programming like the concept of object, inherence, or class of object oriented programming. Things like recursion, arrays, data structures also won't be available. So you may have to pick up another book. But nothing beats the feeling of creating your first own app, even if it's just copy of somebody else's :p

Also try online at Microsoft's http://create.msdn.com/

Last edited:

Dormage

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Did I understand that right? XNA for casual games?
What kind of games are made with Silverlight then?

XNA is a very strong framework used also in XBOX..
Silverlight might be ok for nubish games like puzzles and stuff but for 3D graphics, effects, particle engines, Pixel shaders etc. XNA is the only way to go.

In the future the support for C++ will probably give more oportunities for game engines and hopfully some native code access.

I'd recomend starting with C# as the programming language (much easyer to start with then C++)
For apps you should use a not so much optimized Silverlight.
Using Silverlight you will be able to deploy your app on all platforms including W8.

tenoclock

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Did I understand that right? XNA for casual games?
What kind of games are made with Silverlight then?

XNA is a very strong framework used also in XBOX..
Silverlight might be ok for nubish games like puzzles and stuff but for 3D graphics, effects, particle engines, Pixel shaders etc. XNA is the only way to go.

In the future the support for C++ will probably give more oportunities for game engines and hopfully some native code access.

I'd recomend starting with C# as the programming language (much easyer to start with then C++)
For apps you should use a not so much optimized Silverlight.
Using Silverlight you will be able to deploy your app on all platforms including W8.

Isnt that how Microsoft put it ? For more serious game development youll have c++ and directx. And you said it ur self "silver light might be okay for nubish game" Thats the way I see it too

3lackdeath

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply,

Based on what you guys are saying i will start off with C# and Silverlight, those noobish games can to be really fun when they are done right so i want to do a few of them for practice purposes.

I will do .XNA later when i get better at this, i have some really wicked games that i want to build.

Last edited:

Stiv

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I can't believe they called all my games nubish ;) (they're all in silverlight)

But I think you're on the right track, C# and Silverlight is an excellent place to start and it'll let you create something quite quickly. You need that reward when first starting out to keep up the momentum and enthusiasm. You'll be surprised how far you can push Silverlight for makings games if you're happy with 2D graphics. Obviously as soon as you get into 3D you need XNA.

If you want to see an example of a more complicated Silverlight game check out CastleMine in my signature below (Sorry for advertising). I do regret a little not building this in XNA because I would have been able to include more effects but it will give you a good idea of what Silverlight is capable of.

Best of luck, can't wait to see your first app on the marketplace!

Oldmajor

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I've been somewhat confused since they previewed Windows Phone8. Is the preferred programming language now C++ versus C#??? Is C# for WP* now obsolete?

Oldmajor

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Nope. C# is still the language of choice, but C++ is there too.

Thanks, everything I read has talked up C++ with no mention of C# (I assume silverlight is dead however). For awhile there, I was having flashbacks of VB6 versus VB.net and saying to myself they got me again!

I had to learn C# to make WP7 apps, so now that C++ is an option I feel like I wasted my time learning C# and should have just waited and used what I already knew (rant over).

Stiv

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Silverlight and C# definitely won't be dead. I would assume it will still be the most popular choice for small to medium sized apps.

C++ just opens up even more options and possibilities, that's why everyone is talking about it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo