Getting started

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
OK, I've been thinking about this for a long time and have a few ideas I want to try and develop but have never coded anything more advanced than a few lines of VB (copied from the web!). Anyone can post some useful links to get started? Thanks.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
No, actually I'm in IT and have had to create simple VB scripts occasionally.

In that case I think you are underestimating the endeavor you wish to embark upon. Not that you can't reach your destination, no problem at all, but the path is probably longer... you should probably be asking for books instead of URL's.

I would recommend the following:

1x Book on C# for beginners which also walks you through Visual Studio. Unfortunately I can't advise on this (I would ask Amazon).
1x Book that takes you from understanding how to use C#, to understanding how to use it correctly
1x Book that deals specifically with development on WP8 and WRT

That first book should be focused primarily on the C# language specification and object oriented programming in general, NOT on the .NET BCL. Very important!

If you really want to understand what you are doing with C#, you should probably also read this.

By the time you are finished with the first two or three, books specific to WP8 and WRT will be available which currently aren't. That final book is the one that should focus on the library, and your choice may also depend on the type of app you plan to develop (games are very different from normal apps)

Good luck!

Last edited:

Red Lemur

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I’d recommend just trying to write a really simple app first – just something that has a bit of text, maybe some pictures, on screen and lets you tap some things. If you haven’t chosen between using Visual Basic or C# as the language to learn yet I would choose C# as it’s more popular, and also used more in industry.

Seconding the above post, this seems to be a really good link for beginners as it has about 64 videos. It’s not the latest version of wp7, but the techniques haven’t changed much – just a few new things added.
Windows Phone 7 Development for Absolute Beginners | Channel 9

I found this that’s an example of a complete ‘first’ application for wp7 mango
Developing a Windows Phone Application from Start to Finish

This is a fantastic link once you’ve written your first simple app as it has an example of how to do everything on windows phone (tiles, photos, play music, etc. etc.…)
Code Samples for Windows Phone

There’s lots of tutorials out on the web if you search. You also need to know this link if you don’t already as it’s the kind of front page for wp7 development.
https://dev.windowsphone.com

It's also here you can download the (free) tools you need to install to start developing (the WP7 SDK which includes Visual Studio Express & Expression Blend, and make sure you also install the WP7 SDK update too).
https://dev.windowsphone.com/en-us/downloadsdk

Here’s lot of videos for using the software expression blend. You don’t need to learn expression blend at first as visual studio does everything – but if you do you can make your apps looks beautiful really easily, and it make some parts of wp7 development (the ‘XAML’) a lot easier to write than using Visual Studio.
Learn Microsoft Expression Blend: videos, tutorials, whitepapers

Once you start writing a larger application you'll want to have a think about how to structure it well. This is more theory than hands on coding. This includes considering what is called the 'MVVM' pattern which (once you've grasped it) can speed up your development and really help improve the reliability and maintainability of your application:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg477144.aspx

Hope that helps! Good luck with your app!

Ian

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos