custom alerts via app?

TJWINS

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,
We all know that WP8 is the only major platform that does not support custom alerts. My question is can custom alerts be implemented via apps or does it have to be baked into the OS? I am not a dev so I would have no idea but it would be nice to have custom alerts on WP8 and I think it would be a highly downloaded app if this functionality can be implemented.

mckhendry

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
With Windows Phone you do have tile and toast notifications which can be triggered by either a push or a background process. Those should be sufficient for what you are trying to do. I understand you may be frustrated because you don't get the same flexibility to interrupt the user, but this is their phone we're talking about, and user research has shown this experience to be what owners of Windows Phones prefer.

TJWINS

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
With Windows Phone you do have tile and toast notifications which can be triggered by either a push or a background process. Those should be sufficient for what you are trying to do. I understand you may be frustrated because you don't get the same flexibility to interrupt the user, but this is their phone we're talking about, and user research has shown this experience to be what owners of Windows Phones prefer.

Thanks but I meant to add a custom sound to a specific contact's email field so when I get an email from that specific contact I know who it is without looking at my phone. I have this on my BlackBerry. I get plenty of emails everyday but I know which emails are priority without having to pick up my phone just by the sound notifications. Sorry for not being clear originally.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks but I meant to add a custom sound to a specific contact's email field so when I get an email from that specific contact I know who it is without looking at my phone. I have this on my BlackBerry. I get plenty of emails everyday but I know which emails are priority without having to pick up my phone just by the sound notifications. Sorry for not being clear originally.

That's what I have wanted for a long time. I have many personal and business email accounts on my phone, but there are a few contacts that are strictly emergency or high importance.

I used to use Mailtones on iOS, but it used a risky security method...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers