iOS Developer moving to WP8 - Not easy, Microsoft make it so difficult...I may give in...

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
It seems like with the time the OP has spent *****ing about this in this thread, he could have set up W8 through bootcamp and be building his app already.

iOS has to be one of the worst OSes to develop for, yet this guy is complaining about WP because he can't just do a simple bootcamp install, the way MOST people run Windows on a Mac?

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I use Windows 8 on my MacBook Pro. No issues, and from what I've seen, no lag either, even when using the emulator. This is a 13" dual-core i3 MBP too. The basic MBP, which has specs that were last seen on Windows in 2005. I can develop for iOS, WP, Android, and BBOS. I only develop for WP though, but have paid to develop for WP, Android, and BBOS.

leonkehoe

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Don't give up. Do you just develop prototypes to win company's business or do you develop apps in a personal capacity as well? Do you have any iOS apps that you were thinking of bringing to WP?

The common theme appears to be 'install W8 through Bootcamp'. Why not give it a try and let us know how you get on?

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
It seems like with the time the OP has spent *****ing about this in this thread, he could have set up W8 through bootcamp and be building his app already.

iOS has to be one of the worst OSes to develop for, yet this guy is complaining about WP because he can't just do a simple bootcamp install, the way MOST people run Windows on a Mac?
What makes you think iOS is the worst to develop for? The system requirements aren't nearly as steep as they are for WP8. Last I checked it supports Snow Leopard (2 versions behind the current OSX version) and any Intel processor back to the Core line. Contrast that with WP8 that requires Win8 and Nehalem or later.

nube_android

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
What makes you think iOS is the worst to develop for? The system requirements aren't nearly as steep as they are for WP8. Last I checked it supports Snow Leopard (2 versions behind the current OSX version) and any Intel processor back to the Core line. Contrast that with WP8 that requires Win8 and Nehalem or later.

Maybe because objective C is crap?

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Okay guys, I can see this is potentially going towards lots of insults being hurled back and forth. Watch what you say. I aren't afraid to hand out infractions if people don't conform to the rules.

tungha

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Maybe because objective C is crap?

I don't think Objective C is crap but actually i'm moving from WP to iOS (i'm a developer) and I realize that Obj-C is the strongest language in comparing with Android (java) and Windows Phone (.NET). Why i said that, it's because i can easily move the C/C++ library, code,...to Objective C without any issue, luckily WP now can do this too. Furthermore, I don't know how to explain but the Obj-C gives the developer the most inspiration when you code, everything's clean and MVC so that you can transfer your code and do the unit test very well. Who never learnt Obj-C before may not understand and to be honest, I think C#/VB... is not the good one to developer the apps. I love to use the MVC rather than MVVM, I don't complain the Visual Studio sucks, in fact, it's much more better than XCode (keep eating my memory).

What I think about Microsoft and WP developing is that they're really strict in the requirements of Visual Studio 2012, I love to port my iOS apps to WP and don't mind about the difficulty but I really DON'T KNOW why Microsoft requires such a painful requirements like that: Windows 8? (I'm owning a Surface to experience it enough and I don't want to pay money to buy the Windows 8 license to install to my Macbook) and even if I can install Windows 8 to my Macbook, it's still require the Hyper-V in order to install WP8 SDK. Let's face the truth that this's really annoying and preventing developers like us to develop apps for WP8.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't think Objective C is crap but actually i'm moving from WP to iOS (i'm a developer) and I realize that Obj-C is the strongest language in comparing with Android (java) and Windows Phone (.NET). Why i said that, it's because i can easily move the C/C++ library, code,...to Objective C without any issue, luckily WP now can do this too. Furthermore, I don't know how to explain but the Obj-C gives the developer the most inspiration when you code, everything's clean and MVC so that you can transfer your code and do the unit test very well. Who never learnt Obj-C before may not understand and to be honest, I think C#/VB... is not the good one to developer the apps. I love to use the MVC rather than MVVM, I don't complain the Visual Studio sucks, in fact, it's much more better than XCode (keep eating my memory).

What I think about Microsoft and WP developing is that they're really strict in the requirements of Visual Studio 2012, I love to port my iOS apps to WP and don't mind about the difficulty but I really DON'T KNOW why Microsoft requires such a painful requirements like that: Windows 8? (I'm owning a Surface to experience it enough and I don't want to pay money to buy the Windows 8 license to install to my Macbook) and even if I can install Windows 8 to my Macbook, it's still require the Hyper-V in order to install WP8 SDK. Let's face the truth that this's really annoying and preventing developers like us to develop apps for WP8.

Just a heads up, Hyper-V works without issue on my MacBook Pro machine running Windows 8. So you should be OK :smile:

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Yup, now I can start to port some of my favorite apps to Windows Phone 8, let's start with some video player library to test the native code of WP8 SDK :D

Ah cool! Looking forward to some of your apps. Don't forget our developer program. I'm midway through a radio project myself, just need to find some time to get back into the code.

tungha

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Ah cool! Looking forward to some of your apps. Don't forget our developer program. I'm midway through a radio project myself, just need to find some time to get back into the code.

i just got a Nokia Developer Premium Account, so there'll be no problem with the developing stuff :) I'll spend sometimes at night to do some research on the SDK

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Okay guys, I can see this is potentially going towards lots of insults being hurled back and forth. Watch what you say. I aren't afraid to hand out infractions if people don't conform to the rules.
If this is about me, let me explain that I wasn't trying to be confrontational. I'm a fan of C#, and C# development is a big part of my job, but in the (admittedly limited) time I've spent with objective C it struck me as a pretty good language to work with. But maybe that's because I have a background in C++. I'm curious as to why people don't like objective C.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
If this is about me, let me explain that I wasn't trying to be confrontational. I'm a fan of C#, and C# development is a big part of my job, but in the (admittedly limited) time I've spent with objective C it struck me as a pretty good language to work with. But maybe that's because I have a background in C++. I'm curious as to why people don't like objective C.

Don't worry. I can understand having an inquiring mind. Gotta admit, I find XCode messy. Maybe the Visual Studio tools are just more amateur friendly. I personally find VS easier than XC.

cammsaul

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I started doing WP development after a couple years doing iOS dev full time. I think language-wise C# and Objective-C both have pros and cons but WP UI development is a lot easier. On iOS I end up doing a lot of complex drawing and layout stuff in Objective-C that I could have done in XAML on Windows Phone.

Both WP and iOS are much nicer to develop for than Android though.

What I'm really waiting for though is the day when I can just write everything in Clojure ;)

nube_android

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I started doing WP development after a couple years doing iOS dev full time. I think language-wise C# and Objective-C both have pros and cons but WP UI development is a lot easier. On iOS I end up doing a lot of complex drawing and layout stuff in Objective-C that I could have done in XAML on Windows Phone.

Both WP and iOS are much nicer to develop for than Android though.

What I'm really waiting for though is the day when I can just write everything in Clojure ;)
I take back what I said about objective C. Its just not as nice as C# or C++. But we all know the worst IDE and language....
Java
Exclipse
Total nightmares.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte