A few questions

D0gsballs

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm contemplating developing a WP8 app for my website, but have a few questions.

Is it possible to download the required tools without signing up for the developer program? I want to make sure I can do the development myself before shelling out the $100.

How do you test? Is there an emulator included in the developer pack?

Think that's it for the moment. Thanks in advance.

Andygoes

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
If you happen to have a Dreamspark account through your university, you can get a free developer account and access to the dev tools. There is an emulator included with the pack. What I'm unsure about (as I've only done WP7) is if the new tools require Windows 8 to develop WP8 apps.

Edit: WP8 dev tools do require Windows 8.

1101x10

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Anyone can download Visual Studio Express for Windows phone

Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Phone | Microsoft Visual Studio

The main two requirements are that you need Windows 8 and to run your apps on the built in emulator you need a modern CPU that supports Hyper-V. If you don't have a Hyper-V CPU then you can test apps on your phone but you will need to shell out the $100 to unlock it with a dev account.

D0gsballs

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Anyone can download Visual Studio Express for Windows phone

Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Phone | Microsoft Visual Studio

The main two requirements are that you need Windows 8 and to run your apps on the built in emulator you need a modern CPU that supports Hyper-V. If you don't have a Hyper-V CPU then you can test apps on your phone but you will need to shell out the $100 to unlock it with a dev account.

Thanks for the responses.

I do have windows 8 so that's no problem. I'll have to check the processor though as I'm unsure. What's the best way to check? Is there a tool for example? And do you need to spend the $100 to get access to the emulator?

Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720