What would be the basics for creating your own game?

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi all

New to this section of the forum and I would like to know the very basic for creating your own game. :angel:

I have had some basic programming skill using visual basic .net language (is .net like C# or C++ or what ever is easier) making traffic lights, ticket system etc. :amaze:

So any tips, tricks, cheats would be much appropriated :wink:

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Unity is supposed to be supporting WP8 in the near future.

An engine like that will take care of most of the really hard stuff. From there, you'll mainly be scripting game logic.

Unity supports C#.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Unity is supposed to be supporting WP8 in the near future.

An engine like that will take care of most of the really hard stuff. From there, you'll mainly be scripting game logic.

Unity supports C#.

What about gamemaker is that the same as C# or completely different. :grin:

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

Not too familiar with GameMaker. As far as I understand (which is very little), it's kind of a modular thing that lets you put together premade scripts without actually needing to code anything yourself. From what I know about systems like that, it can be good to use for learning the flow of game logic and how everything goes together. But you'll be pretty limited in what you can actually create with it.

Hessam.ShM

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

Gamemaker is kind of fun to work for but it's not a real game making process. if you want to start making a windows phone game go for XNA. that's awesome. You can make a game for pc or xbox 360 and port it to windows phone too. It makes game making much easier but still you have full control over your game.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
If someone is even asking about using GameMaker, I'm not sure it would be a good idea for them to jump into XNA game development unless they were going to use an existing premade engine.

Quin452

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Winning Guy basically just matches everything I was going to say.

Though one thing I would suggest is go for XNA - if you're a student (like me), you basically can start making games and publishing them for free, whereas with Unity you have to buy the full license (and you actually have to buy it) to publish.

As for GameMaker, I've always avoided it as I've always been told to by my tutors. Saying that, they're biased anyway with any software they can use, and avoid all others like the plague.

XNA is your safest bet (once you get it working - Windows 8 issues).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes