My NFC stickers got delivered! Now???

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I found two NFC writing apps in the store (NFC Interactor and NFC Launchit. Any preferences or other ones that I should be looking at?

What are people using the NFC technology for?

Thanks for the thoughts, ideas, and general awesomeness that I know is about to fill this thread! :)

bradbamford

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Put one on a wireless charger by your bed to automatically launch your alarm clock (and night clock) app.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for not responding. For some reason, this got moved to the Developers Corner, even though this is not a developer question.

I bought mine on Amazon.com from a vendor called NFC Guyz. I just looked for any that were NDEF pre-formatted.

I will try both of these suggestions. Which app are you guys using?

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I have one stuck to my desk at work to open the Ringtones+Sound so I can turn off the ringer, and another one stuck near inside my front door to open the wireless settings (so I turn on/off wifi when I enter/leave).
I use NFCLaunchit and it's decent enough, but I don't see much else I can do with it (I don't drive to work or use alarm clock apps).

Something I don't actually like is that you can't actually toggle the wireless or ringer on and off - the app only launches the setting (and you have to manually toggle it) which kinda renders it a bit pointless anyway.

Is that a WP limitation or because of the NFC app i'm using?

Paul Diston

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

This is a limitation of WP8, I believe the intention is to not do anything to the device that the user is not aware of. For example, you don't want an app turning on your WiFi radio without you knowing about it and draining your battery or making a phone call to a premium rate number.

Hope this helps.

Paul Diston

meandu229

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

This is a limitation of WP8, I believe the intention is to not do anything to the device that the user is not aware of. For example, you don't want an app turning on your WiFi radio without you knowing about it and draining your battery or making a phone call to a premium rate number.

Hope this helps.

Paul Diston
Agreed imagine putting phone down on a table at coffee shop which has a nfc tag under it and phone suddenly calls someone or something (like wipes all your data like is possible on s3 Galaxy S3 hacked, via NFC @ ekoparty Wipe phone and block SIM in 3 secs. - YouTube)

gilesjuk

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I can understand why the NFC security exists. But could it not remember specific NFC tags that you use often and then let you auto accept them? The 'memory' option could remember what the tags were programmed to do and then disable the auto launch if someone reprogrammed it.

Simple and effective solution IMHO.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo