Hello, I am a student of CS as of today and I am starting to get familiarized with programming languages.. However, I would like to code an app as soon as possible., Is it hard?? Some suggestions to do this in the least amount of time.. Answers are very much appreciated.. Cheers and Thank you..
    04-03-2013 07:33 AM
    If you like programming, then it is easy and fun. :)
    I love programming, I started learning when I was 10 (with Basic). Now I'm 16 and I know C#, VB.NET, some C++ and a bit Delphi.
    I enjoy programming and now I want to study Artificial Intelligence.

So, if you think you like programming, try it! it's not hard ;)

I suggest you to begin with a console based language, like C++ (or Pascal). after that, you can go for Web Technologies like ASP.NET (C#, VB.NET) and PHP, or Windows Forms technologies like c# and VB.NET, go mobile (WP -> c#, VB.NET, Javascript / iOS -> Objective C / And or even stay with C++ :)

C++ is cross platform anywhere, but a bit hard for creating regular programs. C# and VB.NET are based on .NET Framework, and you can develop apps for Windows PCs, Windows Web Servers, Windows Phone, Windows RT (and Linux with Monodevelop project) :)
    04-03-2013 08:12 AM
    If you like programming, then it is easy and fun. :)
    I love programming, I started learning when I was 10 (with Basic). Now I'm 16 and I know C#, VB.NET, some C++ and a bit Delphi.
    I enjoy programming and now I want to study Artificial Intelligence.

So, if you think you like programming, try it! it's not hard ;)

I suggest you to begin with a console based language, like C++ (or Pascal). after that, you can go for Web Technologies like ASP.NET (C#, VB.NET) and PHP, or Windows Forms technologies like c# and VB.NET, go mobile (WP -> c#, VB.NET, Javascript / iOS -> Objective C / And or even stay with C++ :)

C++ is cross platform anywhere, but a bit hard for creating regular programs. C# and VB.NET are based on .NET Framework, and you can develop apps for Windows PCs, Windows Web Servers, Windows Phone, Windows RT (and Linux with Monodevelop project) :)
    Thanks for the input.. Any resources that I should be aware of.. Like a great book or a website that kind of "walks you through it" .. Thanks again..
    04-03-2013 08:22 AM
    Thanks for the input.. Any resources that I should be aware of.. Like a great book or a website that kind of "walks you through it" .. Thanks again..
    There are many books outside that learns programming languages. But I personally prefer internet instead of reading books, and I think searching is much better than books :)
    I was read a book for learning VB, but I learnt VB.NET, C# and Javascript just using internet. It also improves your search skill.

I think you should starts basics of C++ with a book. (ask someone about good c++ programming books, I don't know good english books about it. I've learned C++ from high school)
    after you understand functions and object-oriented, then you can choose your preferred language and start learning it (C#, VB.NET, Java, Python, PHP, continuing c++,...)
    You may ask which language should you prefer, and the answer is it depends on the platform you want to develop for. Web, Windows, Cloud, Linux, iOS, Android, ... .

after you learned C++ , these resources might be useful for the professional programming and/or learning other languages:
    stackoverflow.com is a perfect resource for programmers. it's a Q&A site for programming related questions, for many programming languages.
    Also, if you want to learn C# or VB.NET, Microsoft MSDN website is great.
    And W3Schools.com has great resources about HTML and Javascript.

If you have any other questions about programming, feel free to ask here. :)
    04-03-2013 08:35 AM
    There are many books outside that learns programming languages. But I personally prefer internet instead of reading books, and I think searching is much better than books :)
    I was read a book for learning VB, but I learnt VB.NET, C# and Javascript just using internet. It also improves your search skill.

I think you should starts basics of C++ with a book. (ask someone about good c++ programming books, I don't know good english books about it. I've learned C++ from high school)
    after you understand functions and object-oriented, then you can choose your preferred language and start learning it (C#, VB.NET, Java, Python, PHP, continuing c++,...)
    You may ask which language should you prefer, and the answer is it depends on the platform you want to develop for. Web, Windows, Cloud, Linux, iOS, Android, ... .

after you learned C++ , these resources might be useful for the professional programming and/or learning other languages:
    stackoverflow.com is a perfect resource for programmers. it's a Q&A site for programming related questions, for many programming languages.
    Also, if you want to learn C# or VB.NET, Microsoft MSDN website is great.
    And W3Schools.com has great resources about HTML and Javascript.

If you have any other questions about programming, feel free to ask here. :)
    Thank you again.. I'll check those page.. Cheers...
    04-03-2013 08:51 AM
    04-03-2013 08:54 AM
    That one too.. Thank you.
    04-03-2013 08:56 AM
    May I ask, why you are going to learn programming? (Because you think it is interesting, or maybe you need it for your work, or for example you want to create "Games" on "iOS" platform, ...)
    04-03-2013 09:01 AM
    May I ask, why you are going to learn programming? (Because you think it is interesting, or maybe you need it for your work, or for example you want to create "Games" on "iOS" platform, ...)
    Actually it will be mostly for work, but as well our platform lacks some apps that I used to use a lot in other platforms before.. I contacted the developers, but they refuse to port it.. So I decided that if they are not going to move a finger.. I should take care of it and try to make my own app.. So I can use those services/apps again.. I don't care about the money (if I get some revenue from my app will be awesome, but is not my main concern)
    Also Computer Science is my major and anyways I will learn it so I want to be proactive and get more knowledge before I take higher level courses..
    04-03-2013 09:06 AM
    I don't think you should start with C++ as suggested. If you want a console language, learn C.

Even more important than that, you should learn object oriented programming methodologies. C#.Net is the best language for this followed by Java. I say C# over Java because Java has different IDEs. With .NET it's just Visual Studio.

The one thing I can't stress enough is analysis, planning and knowledge of OOP. I work as a developer at an insurance company that has a lot of old ASP and VB6 code. Nobody back then followed these.design principles and it makes support a pain in the ***.
    Mahdi Ghiasi likes this.
    04-03-2013 09:34 AM
    For what it's worth, i've been coding in python for about 2 years, before that I did a bit of php, perl, C, Java, MySQL, bash, the usual stuff. I decided to start developing for Windows Phone 2 - 3 months ago. It was my first time with C#, first time with .NET, and first time with a mobile platform. 2 months later I have 2 apps in the store and a 3rd one coming shortly; so it certainly can be learned.

So is it hard? Dunno. It's something you have to learn. Are you good at learning new things by yourself? Do you love programming? That would be the real questions. The MS documentation is really good and there are plenty of samples to get you started. The provided IDE is pretty darn good too.
    04-03-2013 06:55 PM
    For what it's worth, i've been coding in python for about 2 years, before that I did a bit of php, perl, C, Java, MySQL, bash, the usual stuff. I decided to start developing for Windows Phone 2 - 3 months ago. It was my first time with C#, first time with .NET, and first time with a mobile platform. 2 months later I have 2 apps in the store and a 3rd one coming shortly; so it certainly can be learned.

So is it hard? Dunno. It's something you have to learn. Are you good at learning new things by yourself? Do you love programming? That would be the real questions. The MS documentation is really good and there are plenty of samples to get you started. The provided IDE is pretty darn good too.
    Thank you for the input.. And yes I am good at learning new things, though i don't LOVE programming yet, i like it alot though.. Will look forward MSFT documentation..
    04-03-2013 08:16 PM
    The provided IDE is pretty darn good too.
    Visual Studio is the best IDE out there. Bar none. 😃
    04-03-2013 08:18 PM
    Programming for Windows 8 is the most simple and cheap way to start. Free to become a developer and learn how to do it, and $49 if you want to put it on the marketplace. Not to mention if you go to their website, its all listed out for you. They tell you exactly what you need and even teach you how to do it!
    rdubmu likes this.
    04-03-2013 08:26 PM
    Programming for Windows 8 is the most simple and cheap way to start. Free to become a developer and learn how to do it, and $49 if you want to put it on the marketplace. Not to mention if you go to their website, its all listed out for you. They tell you exactly what you need and even teach you how to do it!
    Very interesting...
    04-03-2013 08:50 PM
    Very interesting...
    links for the show you how to do it part?
    04-03-2013 09:16 PM
    I suppose I could google that shiz.
    04-03-2013 09:16 PM
    Oh, btw, he mentioned he's a student. He might be eligible to get a free Windows Phone developer account, skipping the 99$ thing.
    04-03-2013 09:43 PM
    Oh, btw, he mentioned he's a student. He might be eligible to get a free Windows Phone developer account, skipping the 99$ thing.
    hmm im a student too... I gotta look this up! I know for Windows 8 individuals are $49 and companies are $99. Windows phone is $99 for everybody and im about to search for this student thing (usually my school which is very cmsc oriented sends me emails about that)
    04-03-2013 10:27 PM
    Yep they can... same goes for Windows 8.

That was a waste of my $49. :/

"Students can publish apps in the Windows Store at no charge.

1. Verify you’re a student at DreamSpark.com and get your Windows Store registration code.
    2. Enroll in the Windows Store using your registration code.
    3. Submit your app.
    4. Allow time for certification."

"Students can publish apps in the Windows Phone Store at no charge.

~
    Mahdi Ghiasi likes this.
    04-03-2013 10:32 PM
    Yep they can... same goes for Windows 8.

That was a waste of my $49. :/

"Students can publish apps in the Windows Store at no charge.

1. Verify youre a student at DreamSpark.com and get your Windows Store registration code.
    2. Enroll in the Windows Store using your registration code.
    3. Submit your app.
    4. Allow time for certification."

"Students can publish apps in the Windows Phone Store at no charge.

~
    Awesome!!
    04-04-2013 08:37 AM