Want to become a developer..

Me gusta l920

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
hey .i have following wpc since a long time almost a year now i guess..and i use the l920 as my main phone

i study in school (16yrs old) and here is the deal i want to develop some apps/programs for wp8 or maybe even w8 later
right now i know nothing but i am ready to learn..

we were initially go to do C++ in school but they changed it to python which they will start teaching from july....they have removed c++ completely...

so can someone help out ..first of all do i still learn c++ on my own or will python do the trick too...also ..once i learn the lang what next....how to do stuff...ofc i dont want anyone to type long replies so links to sites will work too?

hopefully i can contribute to out wp8 society as well

UPDATE-

Sorry was i am still learning c# at a very slow speed since ..i am also learning python(because of my school)

BUT I AM DONE WITH THE BASICS OF c

Last edited:

Vaibhav Chauhan

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Nice to see you starting with WP8/W8 app development. I dont know python but know core java, c/c++, some javascript.
But none of these is used for app development, by beginners. I use C# for WP8, some of my freinds use HTML5 too.
Since i know core java, C# is right for me, bith have almost similar syntax.

since you are a student, register yourself on dreamspark.com, verify your account and then you can get a free developer account too.
Even if you dont register right now, you can download Visual Studio Express for WP from dreamspark site & start developing right away, also you can begin watching these videos, really helpful:
C# Fundamentals: Development for Absolute Beginners | Channel 9
HTML5 & CSS3 Fundamentals: Development for Absolute Beginners | Channel 9
Javascript Fundamentals: Development for Absolute Beginners | Channel 9

Select one method and stick to it, i would recommend C#, easy to learn while making apps themselves.
& Watch this, really good.
Building Apps for Windows Phone 8 Jump Start: (01a) Introducing Windows Phone 8 Development Part 1 | Building Apps for Windows Phone 8 Jump Start | Channel 9

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Nice to see you starting with WP8/W8 app development. I dont know python but know core java, c/c++, some javascript.
But none of these is used for app development, by beginners. I use C# for WP8, some of my freinds use HTML5 too.
Since i know core java, C# is right for me, bith have almost similar syntax.

since you are a student, register yourself on dreamspark.com, verify your account and then you can get a free developer account too.
Even if you dont register right now, you can download Visual Studio Express for WP from dreamspark site & start developing right away, also you can begin watching these videos, really helpful:
C# Fundamentals: Development for Absolute Beginners | Channel 9
HTML5 & CSS3 Fundamentals: Development for Absolute Beginners | Channel 9
Javascript Fundamentals: Development for Absolute Beginners | Channel 9

Select one method and stick to it, i would recommend C#, easy to learn while making apps themselves.
& Watch this, really good.
Building Apps for Windows Phone 8 Jump Start: (01a) Introducing Windows Phone 8 Development Part 1 | Building Apps for Windows Phone 8 Jump Start | Channel 9

Id definitely suggest C# as well. Python is much like C# and Java. Definitely sign up for Dreamspark too, they give you everything for free! I didn't know this and bought a dev license full price.

Me gusta l920

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
So you are saying I should learn C ...i have visual studio 2012 desktop version ..i run w7 on my laptop..i have the full version not the trial

no offence but I Wont register right now...i want to first finish the basics ..but I will bookmark the site and remember to do it later on

Me gusta l920

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Id u definitely suggest C# as well. Python is much like C# and Java. Definitely sign up for Dreamspark too, they give you everything for free! I didn't know this and bought a dev license full price.
. U also suugest C ..ok ..i have visual studio full version already ..but I would def sign up there ..once I learn some basic C#

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I think you will need W8 and VS Express for WP and Windows8 pro(pro for running emulator) if you want to work for WP8.

I don't believe you need 8 at all for WP8 dev, I remember working on WP8 from Win7. And if the emulator doesn't work, the dev license is free for students so you can unlock your phone and debug on that.

bjd223

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
hey .i have following wpc since a long time almost a year now i guess..and i use the l920 as my main phone

i study in school (16yrs old) and here is the deal i want to develop some apps/programs for wp8 or maybe even w8 later
right now i know nothing but i am ready to learn..

we were initially go to do C++ in school but they changed it to python which they will start teaching from july....they have removed c++ completely...

so can someone help out ..first of all do i still learn c++ on my own or will python do the trick too...also ..once i learn the lang what next....how to do stuff...ofc i dont want anyone to type long replies so links to sites will work too?

hopefully i can contribute to out wp8 society as well

PS sorry if this posted in the wrong forum...i thought this place seemed the right

I would suggest learning C++ first as this is a great unmanaged language. However, once you get proficient enough to want to move past console applications you should switch to something like C# which is a great managed language. If you can get into DreamSpark, or a copy of Visual Studio from your school I would use that for C#.

For C++ you can use any number of IDEs including Visual C++ in Visual Studio or even free compilers like Bloodshed, or if you run Linux anywhere there are native tools in Linux for compiling C/C++.

You can also look into JavaScript/HTML5 as Windows 8 Modern Apps can be written in this also if you have an interest in Web Development. If you want to create games you should look at Unity, which can publish to iOS, Android, and Windows Phone.

Vaibhav Chauhan

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Yes it is, maybe its only for the emulator, emulator works only in W8 Pro(& gives a loot of trouble to non geeky kind first time when they start it).(i'm also a noob btw)

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Yes it is, maybe its only for the emulator, emulator works only in W8 Pro(& gives a loot of trouble to non geeky kind first time when they start it).(i'm also a noob btw)

Ha ha I might be thinking of WP7 on Win7, but yeh I couldn't get the WP8 emulator to work on my homemade Win8 Pro computer so I just deploy to my device. And I'm as noob as it gets lol

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi!

You can get a dreamspark account but unfortunately you can?t sign up for a dev account because you have to bee 18 years, I have that problem because I?m 16 too. So, you will unfortunately have to have win8 because you can?t test your apps on the phone so you need the emulator :(

Me gusta l920

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I would suggest learning C++ first as this is a great unmanaged language. However, once you get proficient enough to want to move past console applications you should switch to something like C# which is a great managed language. If you can get into DreamSpark, or a copy of Visual Studio from your school I would use that for C#.

For C++ you can use any number of IDEs including Visual C++ in Visual Studio or even free compilers like Bloodshed, or if you run Linux anywhere there are native tools in Linux for compiling C/C++.

You can also look into JavaScript/HTML5 as Windows 8 Modern Apps can be written in this also if you have an interest in Web Development. If you want to create games you should look at Unity, which can publish to iOS, Android, and Windows Phone.

i already have visual studio ..and most of the people suggest c# over c++ so i am going with c

Me gusta l920

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi!

You can get a dreamspark account but unfortunately you can?t sign up for a dev account because you have to bee 18 years, I have that problem because I?m 16 too. So, you will unfortunately have to have win8 because you can?t test your apps on the phone so you need the emulator :(

i can lie to them and tell them i am 18

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi!

Me too :( I am in college already (17) and can't get my dev account.. Anyways I am on C++ right now.. Hope to learn well then I will move to C#

Me gusta l920

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I don't believe you need 8 at all for WP8 dev, I remember working on WP8 from Win7. And if the emulator doesn't work, the dev license is free for students so you can unlock your phone and debug on that.

in india we dont get locked phones..all are unlocked by default and we pay a huge amount for them

rocketboy

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
C# vote too. Most importantly because examples are generally more plentiful in C# to get you started. Unless you're writing a game or some other performance dependent code it's generally easier to get it done in C#.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12