WP8 app prototyping tools?

Mister Underhill

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I'm trying to find some good prototyping tools that can be used for designing WP8 apps. Something that will build out at least a semi-functional prototype to help me envision it so I can send better specs to my developer. Now, I'm more on the information architect/design side of things and definitely not a coder, though I can do some very minor development. Can you guys recommend anything that would allow me to at least hash out the look and feel of an app and possibly fake the functionality? Thanks in advance.

Geof Harries

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
This was the idea behind our app, Proto Hound, I was in the same situation as you, wanting to quickly develop WP8 prototypes, but not have to always open (or learn the depths of) Expression Blend to do so. Proto Hound is focused on dragging and dropping, then customizing, standard library controls and when done, exporting as XAML.

Anyway, I know this is a shameless plug for our own app, but I thought you may be interested in knowing Proto Hound is out there.

polomint

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I have just had a look at Proto Hound. Does it allow us to create grids? Also do you have a video or something that shows us how the pivots work?
And how about Panoramas? Heh.
Looks good so far, im currently toying with purchasing it as i would like to be able to prototype app designs whilst travelling to work, :)

Geof Harries

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Everything snaps to the grid automatically with Proto Hound. That way, when you add a control to the canvas and drag it around, the control sticks to the grid. That said, you can also turn this feature off when you're on the settings screen.

As for a video of the pivots feature, sorry, no we don't, but that's a great idea.

In regards to panoramas, no not yet.

Give the free trial a whirl and let me know what you think. Proto Hound is still very much a work in progress and your ideas/input are appreciated.

geof

polomint

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I like this, very handy whilst laid in bed lol.
Now..... A way to take a screenshot, i know I can take a screenshot but being able to take one as it would look on the phone without the toolbar at the bottom would be better.
Saving as a xaml file to SkyDrive.
A way to create a button bar along the bottom, cant remember what it is called :)

More to come I'm sure lol

polomint

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I created a pivot design. Added 3 pivots, placed a label on each pivot. I then went back to the main menu and reloaded the design i was creating. All the labels then appeared on the first pivot instead of being on the pivots i had placed them on :(

jbigelow

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Anyway, I know this is a shameless plug for our own app, but I thought you may be interested in knowing Proto Hound is out there.

Very interesting, I'm playing with the trial now and will probably end up purchasing. This app looks like it has a lot of potential for quick brainstorming of designs.

Geof Harries

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Screenshot, hmmm. That's an interesting idea. As for saving to XAML,that's actually a feature we're working on.

And in regards to the button bar at the bottom, do you mean the app (application) bar where the icons live?

Geof Harries

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I created a pivot design. Added 3 pivots, placed a label on each pivot. I then went back to the main menu and reloaded the design i was creating. All the labels then appeared on the first pivot instead of being on the pivots i had placed them on :(

Good catch and sorry about that. We'll look into this problem.

Geof Harries

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Very interesting, I'm playing with the trial now and will probably end up purchasing. This app looks like it has a lot of potential for quick brainstorming of designs.

Thanks! That was the original goal, so if the app can help you quickly brainstorm and produce those ideas, I'd be stoked.

Last edited:

polomint

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Also, a way to invert the grid colours (in settings?) as i much prefer a dark background with white dots :)

Note: the screenshot is so that I can share the look of the ui with others and get feedback hopefully :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos