12-02-2013 04:16 PM
26 12
tools
    Ok, I'm trying to find some good prototyping tools that can be used for designing WP8 apps. Something that will build out at least a semi-functional prototype to help me envision it so I can send better specs to my developer. Now, I'm more on the information architect/design side of things and definitely not a coder, though I can do some very minor development. Can you guys recommend anything that would allow me to at least hash out the look and feel of an app and possibly fake the functionality? Thanks in advance.
    05-06-2013 05:09 PM
    Expression SketchFlow: An Overview is definitely worth a look.
    Mister Underhill likes this.
    05-07-2013 07:36 AM
    I'll check that out. Thanks man
    05-09-2013 07:56 PM
    No probs, hope it does the job for you.
    05-10-2013 03:50 PM
    I design iOS GUI Kits that work with Apple Keynote. They are excellent for app prototyping and it looks like a functional app too. But mine are for iOS. Keynote is pretty simple to use. You could design the elements yourself with a little work. Easy App Mockups, Wireframing & Prototyping for iPhone and iPad | App Mockup Tools
    Mister Underhill likes this.
    05-13-2013 09:34 AM
    Cheers mate Unfortunately I don't have a Mac at the moment but if I get access to one again, I'll be sure to use those.
    05-20-2013 01:38 PM
    If you like Photoshop, then you should try these PSD files from Microsoft: Download PSD design assets for Windows Store apps (Windows)
    06-28-2013 06:26 PM
    I use this one Fluid UI and find it to be very good. It is a drag-and-drop with Windows 8, iPhone and Android layouts and interfaces.
    07-02-2013 04:55 PM
    This was the idea behind our app, Proto Hound, I was in the same situation as you, wanting to quickly develop WP8 prototypes, but not have to always open (or learn the depths of) Expression Blend to do so. Proto Hound is focused on dragging and dropping, then customizing, standard library controls and when done, exporting as XAML.

Anyway, I know this is a shameless plug for our own app, but I thought you may be interested in knowing Proto Hound is out there.
    11-18-2013 01:33 PM
    Hi, I have just had a look at Proto Hound. Does it allow us to create grids? Also do you have a video or something that shows us how the pivots work?
    And how about Panoramas? Heh.
    Looks good so far, im currently toying with purchasing it as i would like to be able to prototype app designs whilst travelling to work, :)
    11-18-2013 01:51 PM
    Everything snaps to the grid automatically with Proto Hound. That way, when you add a control to the canvas and drag it around, the control sticks to the grid. That said, you can also turn this feature off when you're on the settings screen.

As for a video of the pivots feature, sorry, no we don't, but that's a great idea.

In regards to panoramas, no not yet.

Give the free trial a whirl and let me know what you think. Proto Hound is still very much a work in progress and your ideas/input are appreciated.

geof
    11-18-2013 01:56 PM
    Well, I've decided to buy it :)
    I shall play about with it and see what suggestions I can come up with :)
    11-18-2013 02:59 PM
    I like this, very handy whilst laid in bed lol.
    Now..... A way to take a screenshot, i know I can take a screenshot but being able to take one as it would look on the phone without the toolbar at the bottom would be better.
    Saving as a xaml file to SkyDrive.
    A way to create a button bar along the bottom, cant remember what it is called :)

More to come I'm sure lol
    11-18-2013 03:19 PM
    I created a pivot design. Added 3 pivots, placed a label on each pivot. I then went back to the main menu and reloaded the design i was creating. All the labels then appeared on the first pivot instead of being on the pivots i had placed them on :(
    11-18-2013 03:31 PM
    Anyway, I know this is a shameless plug for our own app, but I thought you may be interested in knowing Proto Hound is out there.
    Very interesting, I'm playing with the trial now and will probably end up purchasing. This app looks like it has a lot of potential for quick brainstorming of designs.
    polomint likes this.
    11-18-2013 05:21 PM
    Screenshot, hmmm. That's an interesting idea. As for saving to XAML,that's actually a feature we're working on.

And in regards to the button bar at the bottom, do you mean the app (application) bar where the icons live?
    11-19-2013 11:33 AM
    I created a pivot design. Added 3 pivots, placed a label on each pivot. I then went back to the main menu and reloaded the design i was creating. All the labels then appeared on the first pivot instead of being on the pivots i had placed them on :(
    Good catch and sorry about that. We'll look into this problem.
    11-19-2013 11:34 AM
    Very interesting, I'm playing with the trial now and will probably end up purchasing. This app looks like it has a lot of potential for quick brainstorming of designs.
    Thanks! That was the original goal, so if the app can help you quickly brainstorm and produce those ideas, I'd be stoked.
    Last edited by Geof Harries; 11-19-2013 at 12:03 PM.
    11-19-2013 11:34 AM
    Good catch and sorry about that. We'll look into this problem.
    yes, the application bar :) it doesn't have to do anything, its just so i can see roughly what i want in the bar :)
    This definitely looks promising :)
    11-19-2013 12:15 PM
    Also, a way to invert the grid colours (in settings?) as i much prefer a dark background with white dots :)

Note: the screenshot is so that I can share the look of the ui with others and get feedback hopefully :)
    11-19-2013 12:40 PM
    Hmm, WPC app on my phone wouldn't let me edit the last post. Anyhoo... If anyone needs any testing done then add me on messenger/skype with polomint77@hotmail.com
    I can test on a Lumia 920 (mine), a 925 (gf's heh), and a 520 soon (once I order it), :D

Now, back to trying to figure out how to use Expression Blend..... :) Speaking of which, SkyDrive integration will be great cos then I can maybe just open it from Blend once I get home to edit, ooooo, "round-trip-editing!!!!", lolol, j/k ;)
    11-19-2013 01:44 PM
    Now, back to trying to figure out how to use Expression Blend..... :) Speaking of which, SkyDrive integration will be great cos then I can maybe just open it from Blend once I get home to edit, ooooo, "round-trip-editing!!!!", loll, j/k ;)
    Round-trip editing...now that'd be wild. I can't say this will be in our next release, but I will confirm we've got a fairly major update coming out soon with a whole host of usability and design improvements and changes. This update in particular will make Proto Hound much tighter and smoother.
    11-20-2013 01:11 PM
    #define comingsoon

Lol, hehe.
    11-20-2013 01:38 PM
    #define comingsoon
    We submitted our latest version of Proto Hound to the Store on Friday afternoon. If things go well, the update will arrive this week.
    polomint likes this.
    11-26-2013 12:23 PM
    Excellent :D
    11-26-2013 03:09 PM
26 12