Twitter Api V1 discontinued

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey ppl,

This is FYI for devs using Twitter in their apps since I see a lot of apps which used the api crashing including my Apps. Esp. the apps I use for Formula 1
(I should have been more careful while implementing, I know.) Anyway, the Twitter API V1.0 is discontinued which mean no longer are we able to access the feed via XML, Atom or RSS. The only supported format is JSON and with OAuth. So, I guess the apps are to be re-written to use JSON code. Also please be aware that some of the fields are subject to change like renaming etc.

https://dev.twitter.com/blog/api-v1-is-retired

I hope this helps someone.

Catholic Tech Geek

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully, the linq to Twitter framework isn't affected by this change (I haven't had a chance to test it out yet after this announcement). If it is, I hope the linq to twitter devs are aware of this.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
nope, xml is completely gone. Are you using the XDocument and LINQ?

In that case bad luck, my app F1 Results is crashing on the twitter page.

I am working on the replacement right now. The Twitter documentation is soo bad that I am having a tough time.

Catholic Tech Geek

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
nope, xml is completely gone. Are you using the XDocument and LINQ?

In that case bad luck, my app F1 Results is crashing on the twitter page.

I am working on the replacement right now. The Twitter documentation is soo bad that I am having a tough time.
I would suggest then, that you should try using Linq to Twitter in your app (like I have). From what I have seen so far, it has some decent documentation.

anon(5329380)

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I used Twitter last year to keep my app up to date as my app didn't support RSS yet, however when I heard the news XML was terminating it's relationship with Twitter I went back to the drawing board and made an app, that was completely independend of Twitter, thus using RSS for the news feeds (including one of my own). An easy, yet challeging task as I'd never dealt with RSS before. If you want to check out how the story ended, go to this page.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I mean your app was suited for that.In my case I had to specifically display the tweets of users. In my case Formula 1 Drivers.

According to the new API, OAuth is really necessary for RateLimits and any queires. App level ratelimits are too low IMO, so I opted for USer level RateLimits.

Once the OAuth and limits are figured out(I used caching very heavily) it is pretty straight forward.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I can see so many apps crashing on their respective twitter page even now. It is so frustrating arrghh .. submit the updates ppl

(and I know how slow microsoft is when it comes to certifying apps and updates)

anon(5329380)

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
(and I know how slow microsoft is when it comes to certifying apps and updates)

The certification process has been improved though. It usually took 4 or 5 days for the update to get certified, however my last few updates have been certified in 2-3 days.

I can see the problem here: apps that have been built on the previous verion of twitter crash all the time, however I believe developers could have avoided this. Many changes were announced a long time ago (sometime in january or even last year I believe) and developers had plenty of time to look into the issue, although they couldn't test it properly... You don't have to update the app right away, but you can prepare for change so that the transition will be more smooth!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3