Need help getting started in coding(game idea inside)

Allium ally

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to develop a game for windows phone 8, but I have no idea where to start. The only coding I know as of today are the basics in html, CSS and javascript, as I am making my way through the tutorials on the website codeacademy.

The game I'm trying to develop is similar to the scott pilgrim game (is this considered 2d or 3d?) on xbox live, but without co-op and it's simply going to be an one level(onscreen), endless, beat-em up brawler with some sweet moves. This isn't meant to be a full-fledged game, but an companion to another product I'm developing.

I've been reading around this forum around the internet all week long and I can't find a definitive answer on how to get started. I've only read arguments on which is better, C# or C++, and from that I only been able to gather, if I'm correct, C# is the easiest to use, but C++ is the more powerful tool, but harder because you have to manage memory.

So knowing what game I am trying to create, can someone please point me in the right direction. I'm not trying to be a professional programmer and create the next halo or anything, but I'm eager to learn what it takes to make the game I want to, and I'm up for the challenge.

Also, what other programs will I need to use, and do you have any advice on where to learn them, or what books to read?

Also, I may end up porting the games to ios, and android, but baby steps first.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and thanks in advance for your reply.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
You'll need to install the Windows Phone SDK for starters. Can't remember the URL for it off-hand, but it's definitely out there. Bear in mind you need Windows 8 to do this. Also, Microsoft's own guides are good, you'll find tons of code samples too. They've got a "Channel9" too, which I believe is developer orientated as well. Not used it but it should be good. And I would recommend using XNA to developer. That's all the advice I can think of for now.

Allium ally

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the information. I'm going to update to windows 8 today. Should I register now(it's cheap until 8/27/13. Are there more resources to look at if you don't, but just download the sdk. Also, I read elsewhere that XNA is like a dying tool. Obviously, I don't know but, any thoughts on that?

Juro

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Based on your experience, and desire to port it to multiple platforms......I'd recommend looking at something like GameMaker Studio:

Welcome to YoYo Games

Here's why:

There is a free version (so you can get your feet wet) and the regular version ($50-100) and super-duper-full version ($500) is relatively affordable.

It's much easier to get started here than any individual native platform.

Finally, Microsoft just posted a great step-by-step series of tutorial videos on designing games with this:

Summer School is in... Seven sessions toward crafting cool games with GameMaker: Studio | Coding4Fun Blog | Channel 9

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3