Mobile Application Development - Choosing a device

msalmank

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Hello to all the developers out there! I'm a Software Engineer by profession and have recently started studying/working on WP8 development. Obviously, starting on WP8 development means that I need to get a MS Dev account (already done!) as well as possibly a Windows Phone device to test out the application on physically. I have actually used Windows Phone in the past (yes, Windows Mobile too, but here I'm referring to WP7-WP7.8) when I bought and used the HTC Mozart for over a year and a half, so I'm already familiar with the basics and most of everything. And based off of my observations from the original purchase (of WP7), any decent specs on a device should be good enough for a great experience with Windows Phone.

I'm currently using an iPhone 5 which I switched to earlier this year. Initially I had planned to sell that off and get a top Windows Phone but in the end changed that plan as I will also be targeting iOS development down the line (especially at work) and want to keep that as my primary/secondary device. And though I don't have top-dollars to pay for a brand new Lumia 920 or a HTC 8x, I can get one at a much reduced price for a slightly used device.

The HTC 8X is costing me around $240-280 and the Lumia 920 is costing me around $340-360. Though from what I've read and heard, these two devices being the top ones out there right now (No Lumia 925 here yet plus really slim chances of getting that cheap so early in the game), I'm also considering HTC 8S + Nokia Lumia 820. Both of which I am getting either brand new or slightly used but with warranty at the same price as the used 8X and L920.

From my experience with WP7, I know that for the most part, as far as a I ensure the device has proper RAM on it, I won't encounter much problems on it. (yes, I will be using the phone heavily for non-development purposes as well). But when it comes to choosing the best option for development, I'm not sure if there's anything specific that one needs to be aware of.

Does the device that you're testing on matter? Would it be best to get the high-end 8X or Lumia 920, or better suited to settle with the promising Lumia 820 and the somewhat lacking in space but still kinda gorgeous HTC 8S?

Thoughts? Your experiences with your development devices? Anything!!!

Regards.
Salman Khalid

Last edited:

dallasb86

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
I recently started looking into wp8 development and also did not have a device to test on. I settled on picking up a lumia 521. I found it for $130 without a contract at Wal Mart and I believe Best Buy has them for that price as well. The phone is a pre-paid phone so if you don't need to use voice or data (outside of wifi) than you should be fine. I'm actually pretty impressed with the quality so far.

msalmank

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I recently started looking into wp8 development and also did not have a device to test on. I settled on picking up a lumia 521. I found it for $130 without a contract at Wal Mart and I believe Best Buy has them for that price as well. The phone is a pre-paid phone so if you don't need to use voice or data (outside of wifi) than you should be fine. I'm actually pretty impressed with the quality so far.

Thanks for the input. I'm actually located in Pakistan where I don't have to worry about contracts and all. The Lumia 520 is available for an approx. price of $150-170 here (new). I was mistaken on the price of the used HTC 8X - it would cost me around $240-260, and the used Lumia 920 around $320-340.

Perhaps I should just pick up the 520 to start off with. I am sure I can get a cheaper bargain price for that down to around $130 here as well. Planning to visit the mobile center this weekend, so will see what's available on a more appealing price...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo