OEM App Catalogs now violate Store certification?!

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I am a Windows Phone developer with an app called "Nokia Collection" in the windows store. (note: this is mine. This one is NOT mine.) It would fall under a genre of "System App Catalog" or "OEM App Catalog", not unlike SysApp Pusher (which has a better feature set, but lesser UI).

Anyways, I submitted an update for my app, since Nokia split display+touch into 2 apps, and added a separate glance app. However, to my shock, the app update certification FAILED. Why? I quote:
The app jeopardizes the security of the phone (the app references OEM specific apps).

Here is a screenshot even of the PDF explaining this:
Screenshot (121).png

By this new information, this would mean that all apps of this type violate the certification process at best prohibiting updated xap's. And at worst, I'm guessing, Microsoft could have these apps removed from the store!

Now, my app hasn't been pulled (it still has the original version available), but this comes as news to me, seeing as the original app passed certification, meaning there has been a change to the actual certification requirements since it was published.

What are your guys' thoughts? Anyone else with an app of this type get their app &/or update turned down? Or has it just been a mistake by MS that I happened to get caught in?

(pardon spelling errors if you find them. Cracked display :unhappysweat:)

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
How are there two apps with the exact same name? Just curious...

while mine was going through a lengthy certification the first time around, the other one popped up in the store (and I believe WP central even wrote an article on the other one)

I'm surprised Microsoft is no longer certifying these apps though.... I wouldn't think a link to the store for system apps would cause security concerns.... I mean, you can find them via Bing and Google easily...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99