10-17-2013 06:01 PM
72 123
tools
    Downloading GDR3 right now. can't wait to try it out.
    10-14-2013 05:03 PM
    Ok, guys, couple of questions. 1st of all. can you explain which of these steps should be done on a computer and then which steps should be done on the phone. I'm assuming the 1st step of registering the App studio is done on the computer. The next step of installing a cert you get in the email should be done on phone is that correct? Then obviously you install the Preview for developers on the phone. Can someone confirm the steps for me please?

The other question I have is will we lose any apps or games installed or even the way our phone is set up? Thanks in advance to anyone who can spare a couple minutes.
    10-14-2013 05:15 PM
    Is this hack available outside the US?
    10-14-2013 06:29 PM
    Hi...Bluetooth 4.0?
    10-14-2013 06:51 PM
    Is this hack available outside the US?
    It's not a hack, it's an official supported way of loading the preview.

Yes it's available to anyone that registers a app studio or dev center account
    10-14-2013 07:24 PM
    Hi...Bluetooth 4.0?
    That would be a firmware update coming with the official GDR3 update
    calanga likes this.
    You won't lose your apps. Just flashed myself. Everything is still there.

You sign up on the site, click to download the app from the site, it downloads the app to you phone. You will get an email with a link that installs a security certificate. After that, check for updates and viola!
    Hi...Bluetooth 4.0?
    That will probably a firnmware update not an OS update
    calanga likes this.
    10-14-2013 07:25 PM
    Let me get this straight.....the GDR3 update which has been released right now is a sort of RTM for devs,isn't it....they find the bugs with this version,then report to Microsoft,who fixes these and then releases the 'fixed' version to the users....so if i install it,will i get these fixes later on? Can i flash back to gdr2 using NSU?
    Thanks,
    Vaibhav
    The developers might find bugs but they are not responsible for the product being signed off for RTM, Microsoft's QA team is. So the answer to your first question is NO, second questions YES
    this is actually the only thing that's holding me back.. I don't wanna set everything up again once there's some mess-up in this preview that'd be fixed in official GDR3... But then again, would be nice to "flash" the Vodafone DE branding down the toilet eventually ;)
    10-15-2013 08:20 AM
    It's not a hack, it's an official supported way of loading the preview.

Yes it's available to anyone that registers a app studio or dev center account
    Tomato tomarto - I'm not a dev so it's a hack for me
    But the Preview for Developers | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) is not available in the UK store.
    10-15-2013 10:04 AM
    How many devices can you update to gdr3?
    10-15-2013 11:17 AM
    If you don't feel like spending $19, head on over to App Studio and register.

Here's how it will work.

Visit the Windows Phone Preview for Developers web site (this will become live later today) and accept the terms and conditions. Then, download the Windows Phone Preview for Developers app, which installs from the Windows Phone Store directly onto your phone over the air. This app lets you opt-in new updates directly from your phone. Then, simply visit Phone Update in Settings and check for updates. Voila!

Attachment 46764

[warn]Warning: Microsoft notes that the version of Update 3 you download this way will only include Microsoft's code, and not the handset maker and carrier firmware, driver and other software updates that will be added to the public release. You need at least OS version 8.0.10322.71 to participate and you can only move forward with regards to updates: There's no going back. Furthermore, it's possible this update will void your wireless carrier warranty.[/warn]

Source: http://winsupersite.com/windows-phon...date-3-preview
    More info: Get GDR3 today: Microsoft announces Windows Phone Preview for Developers | Windows Phone Central

Thanks for posting this. I ws way overcomplicating this, thinking I had to unlock my phone.
    10-15-2013 11:28 AM
    ..now downloading the update but I guess it will take hours to complete, do you know guys how big the update is?
    10-15-2013 11:56 AM
    Out of curiosity, has anyone tried just dev unlocking their device and getting the preview app? Because according to this article:

"Starting today, any non-registered developer will be able to unlock one device and side load up to two applications without the need to register or pay a fee (e.g. the typical $99 Dev Center registration). Once again, the change is to help facilitate new developers or for those who cannot afford the advanced tools."
    - Microsoft announces Windows Phone App Studio beta for new devs, loosens grip on unlocking phones | Windows Phone Central

And the article on installing it stated:

You must meet one of the following three requirements: (a) have an active Windows Phone Dev Center account; (b) have an active App Studio account; OR (c) be running a registered developer device (dev unlocked phone)
    I wouldn't know, since im a registered rev, but its worth looking into.
    10-15-2013 01:44 PM
    i cant seem to make this work!? I registered at free dev studio got the email i opened it tapped on the link and get nothing. I downloaded the dev app onpened it tried to load in and says i am not registered but i thought it was. I have a att lumia920 but its not unlocked so is that my problem
    EDIT NEVERMIND I SOLVED MY OWN ISSUE
    Last edited by ricbon; 10-15-2013 at 02:26 PM.
    10-15-2013 02:01 PM
    i cant seem to make this work!? I registered at free dev studio got the email i opened it tapped on the link and get nothing. I downloaded the dev app onpened it tried to load in and says i am not registered but i thought it was. I have a att lumia920 but its not unlocked so is that my problem
    I believe you dont need 'Dev App', but you need 'Preview for Developers' app.
    10-15-2013 02:09 PM
    Installing!

Sent from my RM-825_eu_euro1_375 using Tapatalk
    10-15-2013 02:19 PM
    I just downloaded the Preview for Developers app http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=...c-038393741e96
    agreed to everything and 40+/- min later I had GDR3.

I didn't register or pay $19.

I do have an unlocked Lumia 810 but it's not a "developers unlocked phone" and how would MS know anyway ?
    It's a T Mobile branded Lumia 810
    10-15-2013 02:53 PM
    OK, so I hopped on the train, finally have StarTrek TNG sounds for reminders and email ;) Screen rotation is also nice.
    10-16-2013 04:57 AM
    1) Sign up for App Studio on PC
    2) Download Preview for Developers on Phone from WPStore
    3) Run the new app to update
    4) Profit!
    10-16-2013 05:13 AM
    1) Sign up for App Studio on PC
    2) Download Preview for Developers on Phone from WPStore
    3) Run the new app to update
    4) Profit!
    Or...
    1) Developer Unlock your device for free
    2) Download Preview for Developers
    3) Run the app to join the Preview program
    3.a) Check for and Install updates
    4) Enjoy!
    10-16-2013 01:24 PM
    How many devices can you update to gdr3?
    I updated 2 with the same key
    10-17-2013 06:01 PM
72 123