Tutorial: How to get Windows Phone 8 Update 3 for free

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
so in other words developers only? i cant find how i can "preview" it without paying for it.

You don't actually preview/test the update, once you install it, you have it, you can't uninstall it.

App Studio is the way to get it free. As Iki Taba has just mentioned, followed the steps here to get it, if you wish to.

docfreed

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
I Took The Plunge and...

Installed on a Lumia 521 on T-Mobile....It's fabulous

Some observations (writing as I explore settings)

1. As I thought you DO NOT lose Amber (see my previous post) - it's still shows under "Extras and Info"
2. Still has WiFi calling
3. can use customized sounds for text, email and voicemail...this is BIG
4. Automatically migrated ALL of my data - did not lose one scintilla! Solitaire even remembered my score.
5. "Other" storage still shows about 300 MB - still do not know what that is?

Anybody with specific questions please post and I'll try to answer them (remember I'm on a Lumia 521 so I may not be able to answer questions specific to a different device)

Overall, the upgrade to GDR3 was painless and efficient - total time start to finish about 30 minutes (this assumes you have an App Studio or Developer account).

docfreed

VegaNovus

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
FYI anyone with a *.ac.uk account (UK University and College students) can register for free developers membership over at Dreamspark

saispag

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I have installed Dev Center app on my phone but when I click sign in inside the app and enter my details it says the app requires an active WP Dev Center Account. I have an app studio account but not a full paid dev account, it's all tied to my same MS login. Halp?

Memitim

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Still can't attach documents in email and I can't use custom tones for message or reminders. Anyone else install this on an AT&T Lumia 920 with these features not showing up? I do have closing on multi-task, driving mode, and screen rotation lock, as well as more storage options. Perhaps this is the GDR3 "Preview" and not the official yet with everything in it....

I was also expecting Start Screen changes as well, for me live tiles rows/columns...?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3