Tutorial: How to get Windows Phone 8 Update 3 for free

alv3st3r

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
If you don't feel like spending $19, head on over to App Studio and register.

Here's how it will work.

Visit the Windows Phone Preview for Developers web site (this will become live later today) and accept the terms and conditions. Then, download the Windows Phone Preview for Developers app, which installs from the Windows Phone Store directly onto your phone over the air. This app lets you opt-in new updates directly from your phone. Then, simply visit Phone Update in Settings and check for updates. Voila!

updaet3-preview-app.jpg

[warn]Warning: Microsoft notes that the version of Update 3 you download this way will only include Microsoft's code, and not the handset maker and carrier firmware, driver and other software updates that will be added to the public release. You need at least OS version 8.0.10322.71 to participate and you can only move forward with regards to updates: There's no going back. Furthermore, it's possible this update will void your wireless carrier warranty.[/warn]

Source: http://winsupersite.com/windows-phone/windows-phone-8-update-3-preview
More info: http://www.windowscentral.com/get-gdr3-today-windows-phone-preview-developers

Last edited by a moderator:

theshadow03

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
i tried it with the free account and it isnt working...i registers in app studio and went to dev center but i dont see nothing were i can accept the terms and conditions...

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
So how will this affect our phones when bittersweet shimmer comes out? Will we be able to get it ota as usual? Or will we have to load it custom now? I just don't want to mess up future updates

anon(5718954)

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
So if I have Glance now on my Lumia I won't have it when I update it to GDR3?
As far as I understand it there are two things on your device:
- firmware (including Amber)
- and the OS itsself

While the former stays untouched, the latter will be updated to GDR3. So you keep your Amber features while the OS gets bumped to GDR3.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
As far as I understand it there are two things on your device:
- firmware (including Amber)
- and the OS itsself

While the former stays untouched, the latter will be updated to GDR3. So you keep your Amber features while the OS gets bumped to GDR3.

That's how I think it will work too. That's why when Bittersweet Shimmer comes out, the people who install GDR3 now, will still get Bittersweet Shimmer OTA from the carrier when they decide to release it to their customers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism