02-08-2014 12:54 PM
329 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Woke up and read the story and updated immediately. It's minor but the custom SMS tones are something I've wanted and that alone was worth it. Closing apps makes it even better.
    Wait... What??? Custom SMS tones??? Does that mean what I think it does??? Finally can designate a specific tone for a specific SMS contact??? Mine is in the process of upgrading now so I can't check, but this is something I have been waiting for since I moved to WP!!!
    10-14-2013 04:30 PM
    Using a 928 on Verizon here. Got past the gears and now onto the "Migrating your data" step. Only thing I would recommend so far is to make sure you have as much available space as possible. The upgrade told me 2x that I needed to free up more space.
    10-14-2013 04:31 PM
    Wait... What??? Custom SMS tones??? Does that mean what I think it does??? Finally can designate a specific tone for a specific SMS contact??? Mine is in the process of upgrading now so I can't check, but this is something I have been waiting for since I moved to WP!!!
    Yes custom sms tones :) you add one by editing a contact
    10-14-2013 04:32 PM
    You can if you flash to the latest ROM (pre-update) from NSU.
    yes indeed!
    10-14-2013 04:38 PM
    You can if you flash to the latest ROM (pre-update) from NSU.
    Unless someone has successfully done this, I wouldn't be telling people this. I would have to see multiple accounts of people reverting back to old versions before I say it is possible and won't do damage to your phone.
    10-14-2013 04:41 PM
    Can anyone answer me this please?
    I registered with app studio, took the link in the email from Microsoft, accepted the company bit to get the certificate but nothing appears to happen - is something supposed to happen?

I was able to then download the preview app and phone update now recognises an update is available.

Can i go ahead and allow the update or was something supposed to happen at the start with the certificate stage?

Thank you for any help you can offer.
    Regards
    Mark
    10-14-2013 04:52 PM
    Ok, this is working!!!! I now have an option to pick a different tone for each of my contacts. It let's me pick a tone for SMS AND RINGTONE that is different for each user.

Looks like the contacts that just have an email defined will let me pick a specific email for that contact as well. WOAH!!! This is HUGE for me!!! Definitely a step in the right direction!!!
    10-14-2013 04:53 PM
    Can anyone answer me this please?
    I registered with app studio, took the link in the email from Microsoft, accepted the company bit to get the certificate but nothing appears to happen - is something supposed to happen?

I was able to then download the preview app and phone update now recognises an update is available.

Can i go ahead and allow the update or was something supposed to happen at the start with the certificate stage?

Thank you for any help you can offer.
    Regards
    Mark
    It sounds like you are good to download! Enjoy the update!
    10-14-2013 04:55 PM
    Bluetooth... after the update, I now notice that audio pipes directly through to my PC that I have my phone paired with. It didn't do this automatically before. VERY cool!!! Now if one of my custom text tones pops on the phone, it will automatically pipe it through to my PC. NICE!!!!

Can't wait to see how it works with my car. I hope it doesn't disappoint!!!
    10-14-2013 04:55 PM
    Spinning the gears now on my 11 month old 920. I'm sure it'll take a while, I've got a lot of stuff on the phone. I'm not worried about the one month left of warranty. It's just nice to put a stick in AT&T's eye.
    10-14-2013 04:56 PM
    Any battery improvements on the GDR3 ? And will it help developers to create some apps like iOs and android .. Because I heard some stuff about API and that they are unhappy !?
    10-14-2013 05:02 PM
    Any battery improvements on the GDR3 ? And will it help developers to create some apps like iOs and android .. Because I heard some stuff about API and that they are unhappy !?
    I am really not sure what you mean regarding the APIs. No APIs were changed in WP as far as I know.

As far as battery life is concerned, it is way too early to know if any improvements have been made. Wait a week or so to see what people are saying.
    10-14-2013 05:03 PM
    One thing I've noticed is that Xbox Music is much, MUCH smoother than it used to be. I've got a big library on my SD card (58gb at least) and unlike before, I can navigate down from artists to albums to songs with little to no lag, compared to the 2-3 sec delay I've always noticed before GDR3.
    Actually, pretty much everything seems to be snappier. I like this. Hopefully this also fixes the continuous rebooting issue on ATIVs as well.
    10-14-2013 05:05 PM
    One thing I've noticed is that Xbox Music is much, MUCH smoother than it used to be. I've got a big library on my SD card (58gb at least) and unlike before, I can navigate down from artists to albums to songs with little to no lag, compared to the 2-3 sec delay I've always noticed before GDR3.
    Any improvement in Xbox Music is a good one!
    10-14-2013 05:07 PM
    I sure hope Screen Rotation is not it's own entry under settings. Microsoft needs to get settings organized because that list getting to be too long. There's a bunch of stuff in there that could be grouped under fewer categories.
    10-14-2013 05:21 PM
    Hmm... notice the same Me tile bug as others. It is showing a previous profile pic from FB, not my current one.
    10-14-2013 05:21 PM
    I sure hope Screen Rotation is not it's own entry under settings. Microsoft needs to get settings organized because that list getting to be too long. There's a bunch of stuff in there that could be grouped under fewer categories.
    It is by itself in the settings though i expect that to change in the official release.
    10-14-2013 05:24 PM
    any improvements in car USB compatibility?
    10-14-2013 05:24 PM
    any improvements in car USB compatibility?
    Do you mean connecting to stereos so you can control your device from the stereo? Most stereos that do that through USB have propriety software to accomplish that.
    10-14-2013 05:26 PM
    Do you mean connecting to stereos so you can control your device from the stereo? Most stereos that do that through USB have propriety software to accomplish that.
    Yes, that is what i mean.

The propriety problem is on MS' side. Most cars with usb audio controls and input available work fine with android/ios. There are reports of people unable to even charge their phone via their car's usb port because of some odd incompatibility issue.
    10-14-2013 05:33 PM
    Yes, that is what i mean.

The propriety problem is on MS' side. Most cars with usb audio controls and input available work fine with android/ios. There are reports of people unable to even charge their phone via their car's usb port because of some odd incompatibility issue.
    Bluetooth is fairly universal. USB support is def. designed to work with iOS or/and Android specifically. Many will only support iOS devices (my Alpine USB support works great with Apple products but not at all with Android or WP.)
    10-14-2013 05:37 PM
    Update installed without a hitch on the Lumia 521. Very awesome update so far!
    10-14-2013 05:38 PM
    So what if I install this and then decide to sell the phone? Will it still have the preview edition on it despite the fact that whoever buys it may not have a developer account w/ MS?
    10-14-2013 05:40 PM
    So what if I install this and then decide to sell the phone? Will it still have the preview edition on it despite the fact that whoever buys it may not have a developer account w/ MS?
    This is a very good question. Logic would say that they would maintain this update but wouldn't be able to download any future preview edition updates. Things are always logical though.
    10-14-2013 05:42 PM
    Pinch-to-zoom in photo hub is working much smoother now. In GDR2 update they fixed the blury photo problem but pinch-to-zoom was quite oftern sluggish.
    10-14-2013 05:46 PM
329 ... 45678 ...